JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Living in Oregon and traveling to Washington, I considered getting a Washington license in addition to my Oregon CCW permit, since it's close and easy to get. However, some tell me to get Utah instead. Not really needing a ton of reciprocity, just being able to cross into Washington is my direct need. Really looking for some insight here.

1. Why Washington or Utah (other than additional states, which seems to mainly be WY, CO, and NE being closest to Oregon)
  2. Washington's seems cheaper and both last 5 years? I couldn't find the details, but someone said Utah was a better value (guessing because of the additional states it covers)?
    1. Utah requires a different training class? I already took my Oregon class online, but it mentions something about BCI certified? I need to pay for another training? Seems like Washington would be easier? Don't need an additional course (especially since I don't really care about WY, CO, NE inclusion) and definitely not for further east states.
    2. Does WA require separate training class too?
    3. Any online courses recommended, my Oregon one was affordable and Oregon specific, assumed others could be online too.
  3. Anything else I'm missing?
Thanks for any guidance here. My main focus is just being able to cross into Washington from Oregon, that's my main area.

Washington permit is easy and cheap. There's no class requirement. It's $50-ish and a set of finger prints. Utah requires a class if I'm not mistaken. If you truly don't need the reciprocity, go with WA.

Also, with the WA permit being so easy and relatively cheap, get it. You can always get the Utah permit down the road if it turns out you were wrong and do need it. :)

I would get both. With Washington being so easy, and cheap, there's no reason not to get it. I understand Utah covers Washington but I just prefer to not worry about reciprocity and have the state card that I'm carrying in.
Also, who knows what the big blue bubble known as Seattle will do next. If they cancel reciprocity you'd be scrambling to get your Washington card.

I'm in the same boat! I live in OR and have both my WA and OR. Between them both they still have a large majority of the same reciprocity as Utah give or take a state. I got my WA with an appt. and received it in the mail in less than 3 weeks.

Utah requires the applicant to have their home state ccw permit first.

There are 15 states wherein you do not have to have your home state CCW permit first before attaining the Utah permit.

My buddy from Pendleton, OR got his Utah and I was roasting him and calling him a liar until I saw it with my own two eyes.

This link shows the list of states not requiring a home state CCW permit
Home State CCW Info

1. Anything else I'm missing?
The main difference between

Utah - you can carry in Washington and Vermont but not New Mexico and South Carolina

Arizona - you can carry in New Mexico and South Carolina but not Vermont and Washington

If you get both a Utah and Arizona Conceal Permits, You can carry in every state except for California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, DC

The main difference between

Utah - you can carry in Washington and Vermont but not New Mexico and South Carolina

Arizona - you can carry in New Mexico and South Carolina but not Vermont and Washington

If you get both a Utah and Arizona Conceal Permits, You can carry in every state except for California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, DC

Good to info to know about the Arizona & SC. Appreciate it!

Will look into it for us. Last I looked into SC one had to be a "real property owner" for non resident, which we are now. Would save wasting time on a visit tho vs going to the Sherrif & such there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top