Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon Buys Rifle ....

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Oct 22, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How returning a rifle that was stolen from the brother generates emotion and trauma is beyond me. What a country we've become. I hope the taxpayers of Troutdale appreciate that use of their money.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Caveman Jim, Mikej, Capn Jack and 3 others like this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Unless it is needed as evidence in a pending case, it SHOULD be returned to the owner.
    Emotions be damned.
    That shouldnt be Troutdales call.

Shoot, $4,000 for a rifle some mags and ammo? At least they paid him extra hush money.

Slobray likes this.
  5. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

They say they wanted to "reduce the amount of raw emotion and trauma we’re still facing in this community", I call B.S..

They could have quietly given it back to him or offered to have it destroyed if that was his wish.

Now it's in the news again bringing up emotion and trauma again. Sounds like that was what they wanted to me.

decklin, Caveman Jim, Slobray and 3 others like this.
  6. 41Slinger

41Slinger Harrisburg Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

With 4 grand of the tax payers money he should be able to buy a couple of real nice AR's and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, some extra parts and coffee. Thanks Troutdale, I'd take that deal in a minute, excellent gun buy back program, we need more like this. How bubbleguming stupid are these people ?

7. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Thanks Troutdale indeed.

erudne likes this.
  8. etrain16

I hope the folks that actually live in Troutdale are hounding the City Council, Mayor, etc. for this decision. They really need to be aware of the results of their decision, especially since they attempted to hide it from the public.

oknow and erudne like this.
  9. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

10. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Did they do a background check?

erudne, Slobray and ConcreteJungle like this.
  11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I heard the reason was to keep the sick mofo's (that ARE out there) from wanting to buy it because of the weapon's notoriety of having been used in a murder.

erudne likes this.
  12. Stomper

That'd work!

erudne likes this.
  13. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Eugene Well-Known Member

i'm willing to paint everything i have black and sell it to them at bumped up prices. I'll even write the words "assault weapon" on the side of each. SMH
    just a waste of tax-payer money.

14. David Bowman

David Bowman Beaverton OR Archer Defense Concepts

I am curious? How did they do that? Who received it? How did they "transfer" it? I am quite certain that the requirements of SB941 were not met in conducting this transfer. Someone is going to have to log that onto the property books with the PD or the Administration, so someone had to "receive" it and that would mean that it would have to comply with the law.

Or is the city of Troutdale one of the places that "will not comply?"

This is what happens when a state filled with people who came here in covered wagons over a century ago becomes a state dominated by the people who a century ago said "Don't go! It's dangerous!"

Stomper likes this.
  15. etrain16

This has been discussed previously - LE agencies are exempt from the transfer requirement under 941:

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law
    enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the
    United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

Source: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB941/Introduced

Stomper likes this.
  16. David Bowman

David Bowman Beaverton OR Archer Defense Concepts

Yeah, I get it, but Troutdale PD didn't transfer it; the City of Troutdale did with their budget. I am certain I am caught up in the semantics of t, because government...:rolleyes:

Still seems like a dumb idea to pay that much for and AR15 and some ammo though.

Stomper and Slobray like this.
  17. etrain16

There was more than that. He apparently had some other stuff that was taken by his brother and used as well (some 'tactical gear' as I recall). I heard they were given an itemized list and they negotiated the price. I would find it hard to believe they would pay anything near retail.

As for the gun, they may have paid for it, but I would be willing to bet the police are the ones that have possession. Either way 941 is still a bunch of feel good B.S. that will do nothing to reduce gun crime, just as all the other gun laws around the country have failed to do.

erudne and Slobray like this.
  18. Stomper

Remember, SB941 was just a "good first step"... you know the end game goals. o_O

Caveman Jim, Slobray and etrain16 like this.
  19. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Its a sad state of affairs when the Government has it drilled in their heads its their money to spend as they want. Since when does a City Counsel have the right to seize property that was not illegal to have ? Who do they think the are the ATF ? o_O

Caveman Jim likes this.
  20. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I have an old Crossman (now declared a Firearm) that I intend to paint black and turn in at the next buy-back