JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon city pays $4,000 to buy gun used in 2014 deadly school shooting rather than hand it back to teen gunman's older brother
  • This summer, his older sibling asked judge to order return of his weapon, But Troutdale City Council avoided this by proposing to buy gun off him. It paid $3,950 for AR-15 rifle, ammunition and other items found at scene. City mayor said he felt the purchase was 'a low cost to pay to reduce the amount of raw emotion and trauma we're still facing in this community'

How returning a rifle that was stolen from the brother generates emotion and trauma is beyond me. What a country we've become. I hope the taxpayers of Troutdale appreciate that use of their money.

Last Edited:
Unless it is needed as evidence in a pending case, it SHOULD be returned to the owner.
Emotions be damned.
That shouldnt be Troutdales call.

Shoot, $4,000 for a rifle some mags and ammo? At least they paid him extra hush money.

They say they wanted to "reduce the amount of raw emotion and trauma we're still facing in this community", I call B.S..

They could have quietly given it back to him or offered to have it destroyed if that was his wish.

Now it's in the news again bringing up emotion and trauma again. Sounds like that was what they wanted to me.

With 4 grand of the tax payers money he should be able to buy a couple of real nice AR's and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, some extra parts and coffee. Thanks Troutdale, I'd take that deal in a minute, excellent gun buy back program, we need more like this. How bubbleguming stupid are these people ?

I hope the folks that actually live in Troutdale are hounding the City Council, Mayor, etc. for this decision. They really need to be aware of the results of their decision, especially since they attempted to hide it from the public.

i'm willing to paint everything i have black and sell it to them at bumped up prices. I'll even write the words "assault weapon" on the side of each. SMH
just a waste of tax-payer money.

I am curious? How did they do that? Who received it? How did they "transfer" it? I am quite certain that the requirements of SB941 were not met in conducting this transfer. Someone is going to have to log that onto the property books with the PD or the Administration, so someone had to "receive" it and that would mean that it would have to comply with the law.

Or is the city of Troutdale one of the places that "will not comply?"

This is what happens when a state filled with people who came here in covered wagons over a century ago becomes a state dominated by the people who a century ago said "Don't go! It's dangerous!"

I am curious? How did they do that? Who received it? How did they "transfer" it? I am quite certain that the requirements of SB941 were not met in conducting this transfer. Someone is going to have to log that onto the property books with the PD or the Administration, so someone had to "receive" it and that would mean that it would have to comply with the law.

Or is the city of Troutdale one of the places that "will not comply?"

This has been discussed previously - LE agencies are exempt from the transfer requirement under 941:

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law
enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the
United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

Source: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB941/Introduced

This has been discussed previously - LE agencies are exempt from the transfer requirement under 941:

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law
enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the
United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

Source: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB941/Introduced

Yeah, I get it, but Troutdale PD didn't transfer it; the City of Troutdale did with their budget. I am certain I am caught up in the semantics of t, because government...:rolleyes:

Still seems like a dumb idea to pay that much for and AR15 and some ammo though.

Yeah, I get it, but Troutdale PD didn't transfer it; the City of Troutdale did with their budget. I am certain I am caught up in the semantics of t, because government...:rolleyes:

Still seems like a dumb idea to pay that much for and AR15 and some ammo though.

There was more than that. He apparently had some other stuff that was taken by his brother and used as well (some 'tactical gear' as I recall). I heard they were given an itemized list and they negotiated the price. I would find it hard to believe they would pay anything near retail.

As for the gun, they may have paid for it, but I would be willing to bet the police are the ones that have possession. Either way 941 is still a bunch of feel good B.S. that will do nothing to reduce gun crime, just as all the other gun laws around the country have failed to do.

Its a sad state of affairs when the Government has it drilled in their heads its their money to spend as they want. Since when does a City Counsel have the right to seize property that was not illegal to have ? Who do they think the are the ATF ? o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top