JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you apply for a bighorn sheep tag

• Yes every year

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Some years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never again I've already drawn the tag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's a waste of money

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Well I wish I had that much money to blow and still have a few million to burn but I'm stuck with the draw system. Just curious how many of my fellow hunters here actually bother with putting in for this tag. I have never wasted my money on it but I'm gonna start so I'll put my vote in the every year. It's somthing that I could live with out in the past but I have real hunger for this hunt now. I just hope if and when I draw a bighorn tag this dog can still hunt. I'd like to hear any story's about sheep hunting as it's my new fascination. Even if it's in another state I'd like to hear about it. And thought about the KOIN 6 news story of the auction.

Yeah i apply, someone has to win! I put in for all the premium tags as well. Lol better odds than the lottery and it would probably feel more special to me than it too. I met and hungout 1 of the 2 mt goat tag holders in my unit when i was about to start my backcountry mulie hunt this year and he had only been putting in for that tag for 2 years, the other guy was like 25 years apparently. So you never know!

Yeah i apply, someone has to win! I put in for all the premium tags as well. Lol better odds than the lottery and it would probably feel more special to me than it too. I met and hungout 1 of the 2 mt goat tag holders in my unit when i was about to start my backcountry mulie hunt this year and he had only been putting in for that tag for 2 years, the other guy was like 25 years apparently. So you never know!
Yeah that's my thoughts too. I put in for the premiums as well for my local areas that would be awesome to get. Somebody on another thread said they scored a premium tag this year past year. Starky elk I believe? I'd love to be in the woods chasing elk with a rifle during archery or pre archery. Or hunting the entire rut for deer. Hell yeah man's gotta dream!

When I read stories like this I bow my head and thank the Gods that I never had the slightest desire to hunt any big game or birds. Though when I was in high school and a few year after I like going out in the desert and popping jack rabbits.

I do love the stories and picture of people's successful, and not so successful, hunts though.

Good luck with those tags, and all your future hunts, whatever those may be, you crazy people! :D

When I read stories like this I bow my head and thank the Gods that I never had the slightest desire to hunt any big game or birds. Though when I was in high school and a few year after I like going out in the desert and popping jack rabbits.

I do love the stories and picture of people's successful, and not so successful, hunts though.

Good luck with those tags, and all your future hunts, whatever those may be, you crazy people! :D
How come you feel like that? I don't get disappointed and throw a fit if i don't draw a sheep tag, i dont expect to win and the money goes towards conservation. Its only 8 bucks per application. I seem to draw at least one tag per year because i dont always aim for the stars so to speak. When i dont draw i just do over the counter hunts since oregon is an opportunity state. Now if i was a non resident there is absolutely no way i would be putting in for oregon since there is only a couple goat/sheep hunts they can even apply for, and for all other tags they only give up to 5% to nonresidents so the odds are terrible and the prices for tags and license are 10x

Yeah that's my thoughts too. I put in for the premiums as well for my local areas that would be awesome to get. Somebody on another thread said they scored a premium tag this year past year. Starky elk I believe? I'd love to be in the woods chasing elk with a rifle during archery or pre archery. Or hunting the entire rut for deer. Hell yeah man's gotta dream!
I actually have been just putting in for any premium one i think would be a decent area to hunt, even if ive never been and ones that may be overlooked by most. I figure if i get 3+ months with a rifle i should be able to figure out any unit i draw or i should probably hang it up lol

How come you feel like that? I don't get disappointed and throw a fit if i don't draw a sheep tag, i dont expect to win and the money goes towards conservation. Its only 8 bucks per application. I seem to draw at least one tag per year because i dont always aim for the stars so to speak. When i dont draw i just do over the counter hunts since oregon is an opportunity state. Now if i was a non resident there is absolutely no way i would be putting in for oregon since there is only a couple goat/sheep hunts they can even apply for, and for all other tags they only give up to 5% to nonresidents so the odds are terrible and the prices for tags and license are 10x
No offence to anyone that hunts. I admire the hell out of hunters. Ethical hunters anyway. It all comes down to me too lazy to be a hunter. Takes to much work for this guy. I would have loved to go with the hunters, and stay in camp! You guys to do all that hard work. I'd sit comfy in camp, keep the fire going and prep the meals. I was one of those crazy fishermen. Might sill be if the costs didn't go so high, and stocks drop so low. Fishermen have their own crazy. I did most of that since I was a little boy.
I hope you end up drawing something good. Just come back and tell the story of success, or lack of. :s0155:

Unfortunately, this is the wave of the future I fear. Hunting in America is starting to look like Europe. Only the well-heeled can afford it and only the landed gentry get access. I'm more concerned about my hunting rights than the 2A, frankly.
Tags keep getting more expensive and more and more land is getting posted and surrounded by a locked fence. Anti-hunting groups are buying up land that allows access to public land, this shutting off access. Landowners that used to give access when politely ask now lease their land to a small number of outfitters.
Pretty soon, it will be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a side of beef. Rant over.

Unfortunately, this is the wave of the future I fear. Hunting in America is starting to look like Europe. Only the well-heeled can afford it and only the landed gentry get access. I'm more concerned about my hunting rights than the 2A, frankly.
Tags keep getting more expensive and more and more land is getting posted and surrounded by a locked fence. Anti-hunting groups are buying up land that allows access to public land, this shutting off access. Landowners that used to give access when politely ask now lease their land to a small number of outfitters.
Pretty soon, it will be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a side of beef. Rant over.
I feel the same. Have you seen the multiple petitions/bills in states all over trying to ban predator and hound hunting? Its the low hanging fruit like "assualt rifles" and it will be the death of 1000 cuts for sure. If you haven't you might check out howlforwildlife, they make it easy to write letters voicing your opinion against this anti nonsense to the right folks in the government

Last Edited:
No offence to anyone that hunts. I admire the hell out of hunters. Ethical hunters anyway. It all comes down to me too lazy to be a hunter. Takes to much work for this guy. I would have loved to go with the hunters, and stay in camp! You guys to do all that hard work. I'd sit comfy in camp, keep the fire going and prep the meals. I was one of those crazy fishermen. Might sill be if the costs didn't go so high, and stocks drop so low. Fishermen have their own crazy. I did most of that since I was a little boy.
I hope you end up drawing something good. Just come back and tell the story of success, or lack of. :s0155:
Ah i see! No worries man the last thing we honestly need is more hunters and crowding anyway to be honest. What we do need more of is people that dont hunt to understand and support it like you! Half of my hunts are way in the backcountry but you'd be welcome to cook in my elk camp anytime lol. I got this mule deer this year on a solo backpacking trip, it was epic! I saw more mt goats than deer lol it is rough country

Screenshot_20220121-084103_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211006-173238_Gallery.jpg

Ah i see! No worries man the last thing we honestly need is more hunters and crowding anyway to be honest. What we do need more of is people that dont hunt to understand and support it like you! Half of my hunts are way in the backcountry but you'd be welcome to cook in my elk camp anytime lol. I got this mule deer this year on a solo backpacking trip, it was epic! I saw more mt goats than deer lol it is rough country

View attachment 1112604 View attachment 1112605
I rest my case. Hunters are CRAZY! :s0114:

I've read some stories of guys doing this kind of thing on ifish.net. They've got a robust hunting forum there, with some pretty good guys. Love the pictures and reading their stories.

I came from Utah. Grew up semi rural.. Hunting Muley's was HUGE! They'd close school on Friday before opening season.

Cheers!

I rest my case. Hunters are CRAZY! :s0114:

I've read some stories of guys doing this kind of thing on ifish.net. They've got a robust hunting forum there, with some pretty good guys. Love the pictures and reading their stories.

I came from Utah. Grew up semi rural.. Hunting Muley's was HUGE! They'd close school on Friday before opening season.

Cheers!
Haha yes its a sickness but most of us would be crazy whether we hunt or not! It keeps me out of trouble and motivated to stay in shape, get outdoors and challenge myself. I love it. I had to pack that buck out uphill 4000ft over about 4 miles, then come back for my camp and all the shed antlers i found, it was steep! Almost shot this bear the first night i was in there and im kinda glad i didn't since i was alone, but i know where im headed if i get lucky enough to draw the spring bear tag for there lol

Screenshot_20211002-043439_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20211001-200657_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20211001-200734_Video Player.jpg

You can shoot a lot of bighorn sheep in Texas for $345k…. Thinking about it, You could shoot one and build a house around the trophy for $345k
For sure and thats not including the fees for the squad of guides they would no doubt pay to babysit the biggest sheep in the state all summer and eventually hold their hand leading them straight to it lol.

You can damn near do a sheep slam for that money even with todays crazy prices. I think most of these types do those hunts for a tax write off, since these auctions are usually run through non profits like sheep foundations. It surely goes to a good cause but the whole thing is kinda strange.

There was a great point made over on rokslide about how if they raised the price of just elk tags in Idaho by just 75 cents it would offset the cost of last year's governors tag which was 175k. The ensuing film of them shooting "the duke" was a pitiful bubblegumshow and there was IMO major disrespect shown for the beautiful new state record ram in the film. If you watch it you'll see what i mean 🤮

I'm going to start applying. Might be a waste, but so are my cougar tags I buy every year.

Last Edited:
The minions wait an entire lifetime and may never get this hunting opportunity, but Oregon decides to sell tags to the highest bidder for $345,000.
That's the most elitist government program I've ever seen, and in a supposedly "progressive" state.
Does their hypocrisy have any limits?

The minions wait an entire lifetime and may never get this hunting opportunity, but Oregon decides to sell tags to the highest bidder for $345,000.
That's the most elitist government program I've ever seen, and in a supposedly "progressive" state.
Does their hypocrisy have any limits?
Im sure WA does it too. Pretty sure all western states do at least one of them for each species. I really dont have much of a problem with it as long as the hunt is ethical and the animal is respected properly tho

For sure and thats not including the fees for the squad of guides they would no doubt pay to babysit the biggest sheep in the state all summer and eventually hold their hand leading them straight to it lol.

You can damn near do a sheep slam for that money even with todays crazy prices. I think most of these types do those hunts for a tax write off, since these auctions are usually run through non profits like sheep foundations. It surely goes to a good cause but the whole thing is kinda strange.

There was a great point made over on rokslide about how if they raised the price of just elk tags in Idaho by just 75 cents it would offset the cost of last year's governors tag which was 175k. The ensuing film of them shooting "the duke" was a pitiful bubblegumshow and there was IMO major disrespect shown for the beautiful new state record ram in the film. If you watch it you'll see what i mean 🤮
I have not seen the "duke death" I'll take your word on it and not watch. Yeah it's probably gonna be some douche that they carry around that spent the 345k.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top