JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Here's another Johns Hopkins article (beginning to see a pattern?) https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/06/01/permit-to-purchase-laws-linked-to-firearm-homicide-decrease/
Permit-to-purchase gun laws linked to fewer firearm homicides in large, urban areas

Here's an abstract to the study cited,
Association between Firearm Laws and Homicide in Urban Counties -- "PTP laws were associated with a 14% reduction in firearm homicide in large, urban counties (IRR = 0.86, 95% CI 0.82–0.90). CBC-only, SYG, RTC, and VM laws were all associated with increases in firearm homicide."

Here's an earlier study by Crifasi, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3978146/ Effects of the Repeal of Missouri's Handgun Purchaser Licensing Law on Homicides

Look what population it affects:

We -have- background checks. And other than Portland, we don't have any 'large urban areas' in Oregon, and Portland's crime problem has little to do with the rest of the state.

Of course, the LEVO people are from Portland; maybe they should get out more and see the rest of the state.

Fix Portland; come back to us when you have succeeded.

View attachment 1285021

View attachment 1285020
Are those signs? I love them!

Are those signs? I love them!
Just slides from a 'KEYNOTE' presentation I'm building as snarky comments occur to me. Haven't planned to show them, no venue.

114 slide lying.jpg

For those curious how it'll be displayed on the actual ballot:

Ballot title

The certified ballot title for Measure 114 is as follows:[4]

"Requires permit to acquire firearms; police maintain permit/firearm database; criminally prohibits certain ammunition magazines
Result of 'Yes' Vote:
'Yes' vote requires background check, safety training, fee for permit to acquire firearms; state police maintain new permit/ firearm database; criminally prohibits certain magazines; exceptions.
Result of 'No' Vote: 'No' vote retains current law: seller/ transferor must request criminal background check; permit, safety course not required; no magazine capacity restrictions.[5]
"

Ballot summary

The ballot summary for Measure 114 is as follows:[4]

"Oregon law currently allows persons over age 18 to acquire firearms (federal law requires age 21 for some handgun purchases), seller/ transferor must request criminal background check. Measure requires permit from local law enforcement to acquire firearm; person must pay fee, submit photo ID, fingerprints, complete approved safety training, pass criminal background check, not be prohibited from possessing firearms; officer may deny permit to person believed danger to self or others. Permit issued within 30 days, valid 5 years. Permit denials appealable. Must present permit, pass background check to acquire firearm. State Police creates/ maintains permit/ firearm database. Magazines over 10 rounds, or readily modifiable to exceed 10 rounds, prohibited; exception for current owners /inheritors. Exceptions for law enforcement, armed forces. Criminal penalties. Other provisions.[5]"
Ah, there's the ballot summary; I was going to go look for that - thanks!

114 slide sheriff.jpg

Here's another Johns Hopkins article (beginning to see a pattern?) https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/06/01/permit-to-purchase-laws-linked-to-firearm-homicide-decrease/
Permit-to-purchase gun laws linked to fewer firearm homicides in large, urban areas

Here's an abstract to the study cited,
Association between Firearm Laws and Homicide in Urban Counties -- "PTP laws were associated with a 14% reduction in firearm homicide in large, urban counties (IRR = 0.86, 95% CI 0.82–0.90). CBC-only, SYG, RTC, and VM laws were all associated with increases in firearm homicide."

Here's an earlier

Look what population Fix Portland; come back to us when you have succeeded

View attachment 1285021

View attachment 1285020
Just slides from a 'KEYNOTE' presentation I'm building as snarky comments occur to me. Haven't planned to show them, no venue.

View attachment 1285277
How about OFF's next buy of signs?

Just an update on comms from the enemy:

Dear Amleth,

Please Help Get Out The Vote

In just 19 days Oregonians will start getting their ballots, and the election ends in 40 days.

Now is the time to reach every single voter in Oregon to make sure they are ready to pass Measure 114 and enact common sense gun violence prevention measures in Oregon.

This has truly been a grassroots effort – you have volunteered as circulators, office volunteers, donors, general promoters, and so much more.

Now we need your help more than ever. Many of you have already started to educate more Oregonians about this measure. We're asking you to sign up for one task a week between now and November 8 (that's 5 weeks) to help us get this done. If you can do more we won't say no! The LEVO office hours have been extended!

Here is the new schedule.

Tuesday 10am-1pm

Wednesday 4pm-7pm

Thursday 10am 1pm

Friday 10am-1pm

Saturday 10am- 1pm

Sunday 10am- 1pm

Located at Augustana Lutheran church 2710 NE 14th Ave. Portland Or, 97212

Below you'll find information on two ways to help:

1. Working with a regional team that can get you what you need to educate voters
  2. Signing up directly for canvasses and office support days – right now just in the Portland metro area, but more around the state coming soon!

Your Regional Team

We have enlisted "Regional Distributors" in many communities around the state. These "distributors" will provide our volunteers (you) with materials, which will include information, AND instructions for all the volunteer activities listed below that will help us pass Measure 114.

The activity "Menu" of Volunteer possibilities includes:

1. Neighborhood Center Businesses window placard distribution
  2. Public Education and Community Events
  3. Postcard Writing to Oregon Voters
  4. House Parties
  5. Neighborhood Canvasses
  6. Letter Writing to the Editor
Please consider taking part in as many of the above actions as you are able. We realize that each community is different and what might work well in one community, might not work for another. We also realize everyone has a different comfort level of involvement. We would encourage volunteers to participate in whatever capacity is comfortable for you.

The "area distributors" are listed below with names, area locations, and email addresses. Please contact them with your material requests and together you can make arrangements to get your materials. You may also get materials at the main LEVO campaign office in NE Portland (see below).

If you live in an area where there is no "distributor" listed, please contact the LEVO office and we will send you whatever materials you need.

Also, consider working as a "distributor" in your area. We need many more sites around the state (i.e. Salem, Hood River, The Dalles, Ashland, Grants Pass, and many places on the Oregon Coast and eastern Oregon.) We will support you in any way we can and make sure you get the materials that you need. Finally, if you are doing education at a community event, please let your area distributor or the LEVO office know. We are working to keep a running list of events where our volunteers will be working.

Our kick off canvass (we'll have lawn signs for everyone who comes!) is this Saturday, October 1st, at the LEVO office in NE Portland. Get here at 10am for a brief training, get your materials, and get ready to talk to voters about the importance of Measure 114. Sign up for this event, future canvasses, phone calls, and data entry, here. We'll be adding events to this sign up regularly. We thank you in advance for this important work. We need Oregon voters to be informed about Measure 114 and to support it with their positive vote on Nov. 8th! With your continued work we can make Measure 114 a reality and make our schools and communities are safer. Please contact us with any questions or comments.

With Much Thanks and Appreciation,

Joe and Janey Paterno, LEVO Field Team 503-312-3014

REGIONAL DISTRIBUTORS:

PORTLAND LEVO OFFICE

Simone Martin- Office Manager

971-293-2091,[email protected]

Joe and Janey Paterno

503-312-3014, [email protected]

ALBANY/CORVALLIS

Chris Nord

[email protected]

ASTORIA

Cheryl Conway

[email protected]

BEAVERTON

Tom Campbell-Schmitt

[email protected]

BEND

Zandra Brant

[email protected]

EUGENE

Tom Peck

[email protected]

FOREST GROVE/HILLSBORO

Eric Cannon

[email protected]

GRANTS PASS

Teddie Hight

[email protected]

NEHALEM

Sue Baker

[email protected]

OREGON CITY

Ralph Goldstein

[email protected]

PORTLAND

Downtown:

Lenny Borer

[email protected]

North West:

Sally Rosenfeld

[email protected]

South West:

Brit Rosenburg

[email protected]

North East:

Barbara Gundle

[email protected]

South East:

Jan Orr

[email protected]

Rainer Gades

[email protected]

SALEM

Kathleen Hynes

[email protected]

Just thinking about the intentions of the proponents of this measure.

The preamble has things like
the availability of firearms,... pose a grave and immediate risk to the health, safety and well-being of the citizens of this State, particularly our youth.
and
firearm ownership or access to firearms triples the risk of suicide and doubles the risk of homicide when compared to someone who does not have access
I get the feeling they'd really prefer none of us have guns at all.

But why? Even Garen Wintemute can find the occasional acorn amidst the leaves: https://injepijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40621-021-00339-5
Conclusions

Nationwide, firearm purchasing and firearm violence increased substantially during the first months of the coronavirus pandemic. At the state level, the magnitude of the increase in purchasing was not associated with the magnitude of the increase in firearm violence. Increases in purchasing may have contributed to additional firearm injuries from domestic violence in April and May. Results suggest much of the rise in firearm violence during our study period was attributable to other factors, indicating a need for additional research.
Legal Firearm Sales at State Level and Rates of Violent Crime, Property Crime, and Homicides tells us
Conclusions

Robust analysis does not identify an association between increased lawful firearm sales and rates of crime or homicide. Based on this, it is unclear if efforts to limit lawful firearm sales would have any effect on rates of crime, homicide, or injuries from violence committed with firearms.
Wishin' and Hopin' is not the basis for public policy. (ETA - well, in a sane world. This is Portland we're talking about, so ...)

114 slide guns.jpg

Last Edited:
..., I've been mentioning the "leave house with more than 10-round magazine and get arrested" component and THAT usually startles people!
That's what you want imo, simple language that will get a strong emotional reaction. Excellent!

Also I honestly don't know the answer to this Question: "would getting arrested for that mean your carry permit would be revoked?" I assume no, but that would be hella alarming if it did.

That's what you want imo, simple language that will get a strong emotional reaction. Excellent!

Also I honestly don't know the answer to this Question: "would getting arrested for that mean your carry permit would be revoked?" I assume no, but that would be hella alarming if it did.
ORS 166.293
(a) Any act or condition that would prevent the issuance of a concealed handgun license is cause for revoking a concealed handgun license.
(b) A sheriff may revoke a concealed handgun license by serving upon the licensee a notice of revocation. The notice must contain the grounds for the revocation and must be served either personally or by certified mail, restricted delivery. The notice and return of service shall be included in the file of the licensee. The revocation is effective upon the licensee's receipt of the notice.
ORS 166.291 an applicant may be denied a license if fails these tests
(g) Has never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a felony;
(h) Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application, including a misdemeanor conviction for the possession of marijuana as described in paragraph (L) of this subsection;
So yes, CCW could, and IMHO probably would, be revoked on conviction of this new magazine crime.

Please send me your email and I can send the pdf to you asap. thx
Is the pdf available for download? Link, dropbox or other? If so, and you don't want to post it publicly could you forward the link via pm, please?

If you wanna see a "real" debate, check out the Texas govenor debat and how ol Beto got destroyed on gun related issues. Nothing but emotional rhetoric and flat out lies from the Blue-B.

[My favorite cringworthy was Beto stating that raising the age from 18 to 21 in Florida has reduced mass shootings by 80%. :s0140: ]

2A issues start at 13:50min mark.

Or if you want to only catch a couple highlights in only 5min....

Last Edited:
Is the pdf available for download? Link, dropbox or other? If so, and you don't want to post it publicly could you forward the link via pm, please?
You can check with dancinghippos on this link, but that is how I got the pdf from him. Seems like there is a problem with posting the pdf here. Or contact me directly via email here. thx

Another batch highway signs delivered. These will be from Albany and south, main roads into Corvallis, north Commercial in Salem, and two for major highways near Silverton and Molalla. That's ten in the past two days plus about 20 of the 48 x 32.

Anyone in the Portland area willing to come down to Salem to pick up 48" x 32" signs? Anyone up there willing to go through the gorge with information?

Another batch highway signs delivered. These will be from Albany and south, main roads into Corvallis, north Commercial in Salem, and two for major highways near Silverton and Molalla. That's ten in the past two days plus about 20 of the 48 x 32.

Anyone in the Portland area willing to come down to Salem to pick up 48" x 32" signs? Anyone up there willing to go through the gorge with information?
Where can these signs be placed?

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews