JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is erode the Portland vote. To do this, we need to be stressing that this measure will disproportionately harm marginalized communities (black and brown communities, LGBTQ communities, women, poor people). If we show that this law will affect these people more, make them have effectively less rights than people who are less marginalized in our society, as well as increase the amount of contact those communities have with law enforcement officers (which in Portland it is commonly accepted that increasing law enforcement contact with marginalized communities is bad), then I think we could effectively cleave pretty significant holes in 114's ability to pass.

I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is erode the Portland vote. To do this, we need to be stressing that this measure will disproportionately harm marginalized communities (black and brown communities, LGBTQ communities, women, poor people). If we show that this law will affect these people more, make them have effectively less rights than people who are less marginalized in our society, as well as increase the amount of contact those communities have with law enforcement officers (which in Portland it is commonly accepted that increasing law enforcement contact with marginalized communities is bad), then I think we could effectively cleave pretty significant holes in 114's ability to pass.
I don't think this is a completely sound strategy. It could be properly deployed, but only by the correct messenger. This is because standpoint epistemology plays a central role in evaluating truth claims for the audience you're describing. It will be largely perceived as a cynical maneuver (to be perfectly frank, there is some truth to this). And as such, be interpreted as an anti-truth. It's not an ideal case study, but when the likes of Tucker Carlson or Glenn Beck talk about violence in Chicago or Baltimore, it does more to harden than soften the positions of their idealogical opponents.

So from a strategic standpoint, I'd advise anyone considering this approach as follows:
(1) Are you known to frequently use this line of reasoning? If not, do not employ it now with people you know well.
(2) Can you plausibly claim the "lived experience" of being part of a "marginalized community?" If not, do not use it with strangers and acquaintances.

For my own part, I plan to focus on arguments like these:

(1) Considering recent rulings by the many judicial appointees of the previous administration, this law will be successfully challenged. It may last a few years if the state chooses to fight it, but it will cost us millions. We will waste time, energy, and money cobbling some system together to meet specifications, and then we will spend more money until it's eventual demise. Columbia River Crossing 2022.

(2) Point to some of the KATU reporting shared here: Portland schools calling 911 to request police assistance only to have over 1hr response times (if any). At least one case reported on concerned someone entering the campus to menace students. This bill is going to generate an enormous clerical workload for police departments. Crime is already out of hand and getting worse in Portland. If the objective is to make schools safer, this bill should be more of a policy reversal: reduce administrative work for police and return school resource officers to schools so that they can assist with these kinds of emergencies. If we turn our officers into administrative assistants, how competent can we expect them to be in the face of the next Uvalde-like incident?

(3) In connection with point #2, there's effectively a background check redundancy. The legal measures seem more geared towards data mining gun purchases (what is the present mood on the Patriot Act, social media companies, etc?) and perhaps prevent negligent behavior with the added training requirements. Though accidental deaths only account for a few percent of the roughly 45k gun-related deaths nationally. I find this more of a puzzling sidebar. Or perhaps its just security theater: intentional posturing which has the veneer of sensibility as long as one doesn't submit it to heavy scrutiny.

(4) The Uvalde and Boulder shooters, and perhaps others, were already known to law enforcement. In connection with point #3, repeating these checks does not reveal fresh knowledge. If there is an issue to be found here, it's not how many times a database is queried.

I'll be deploying these arguments to family who I expect to be warm to 114. There are a great many "former hippies" (roughly speaking) in Oregon who I think would have a persuadable disposition and would at least give points such as these some consideration.

Does anyone know if this measure passes, when the magazine portion will take effect? I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I could not find it easily through 43 pages of replies. Thank you in advance for all your answers.

The whole thing would go into effect December 8, 2022 -
Wow, this does not give us much time to make those last minute purchases.

I've attached a jpg of a smaller flyer. There are four on a page. You can print them out yourself or take them to a printer. With Office Max online ordering, 25 pages, color, on 6 lb paper, and cut into four pieces comes out to $20 for 100 handouts.

If you want the word doc or pdf, let me know. Those are much clearer.

These are smaller and get the point across easily. They still have the reference to the stop114 web site.

114 palm card.jpg

My intention with these is the same as any other information, and that is to get it into peoples hands easily. Print it in b&w or grayscale if you like. You could pin one of these onto a bulleting board at a laundromat, or any community board for that matter. Might be able to post it on a bulletin board at work. Some businesses might not be opposed to taping one on the counter next to the cash register. You could tape it to your desk at work as a reminder to yourself or as something for people to ask about when they go by your desk.

Point is to get the word out. You could even just write "vote no on measure 114" on a 3 x 5 card and stick it on a bulleting board or on your desk.

I'm thinking about walking around busy intersections at peak traffic times with one of the yard signs to get more attention to the issue. Could hand these out to those that honk, as long as they're not just honking at my sexy behind! :eek:

Reminder: It is Oct 10th

Oct 18th is the last day to register to vote you have until 11:59 that night. Ballots go out Oct 19th. Nov 8th is the last day to turn in your ballot.

Register online and help out, tell all your friends/family/coworkers etc use any online networks you have and social media you can. Help hand out signs and encourage everyone to vote NO on measure 114.

This takes less than 5mins to do.

You can check your voter status here:

In other news:

Hillsboro NRA-ILA Townhall

Join your NRA-ILA Staff and Oregon State Director at the Tuality Masonic Lodge on October 13th for an important Town Hall Meeting! Come out for critical legislative updates regarding Ballot Measure 114, the most egregious gun control initiative in the country and hear more about NRA's efforts in protecting the Second Amendment in Oregon. This event is FREE along with NRA materials and information. Be sure to alert your fellow patriots about this meeting and RSVP below:

WHEN
October 13, 2022 at 6:30pm - 8pm
WHERE
Tuality Masonic Lodge
176 NE 2nd Ave
Hillsboro, OR 97124
United States
Google map and directions
CONTACT
Jesse Greening · [email protected]

Ways you can help out on site here: If you have ANY classified ads title them with VOTE NO ON M114 and link to this thread in the listing. If you see new members join and they are in OR tell them to come here and link the thread. If you do a transfer with someone, make sure they are aware of this thread and M114.

Last Edited:
I don't think this is a completely sound strategy. It could be properly deployed, but only by the correct messenger. This is because standpoint epistemology plays a central role in evaluating truth claims for the audience you're describing. It will be largely perceived as a cynical maneuver (to be perfectly frank, there is some truth to this). And as such, be interpreted as an anti-truth. It's not an ideal case study, but when the likes of Tucker Carlson or Glenn Beck talk about violence in Chicago or Baltimore, it does more to harden than soften the positions of their idealogical opponents.

So from a strategic standpoint, I'd advise anyone considering this approach as follows:
(1) Are you known to frequently use this line of reasoning? If not, do not employ it now with people you know well.
(2) Can you plausibly claim the "lived experience" of being part of a "marginalized community?" If not, do not use it with strangers and acquaintances.
I wanna address the bold first. I do not think the line of argument should be used cynically by any means, and I would publicly criticize anyone who attempted to argue from that point of view without actually holding it. But what I do know for a fact is that increasing laws surrounding firearms will absolutely lead to an increase in scrutiny by police over all communities, but especially those who are historically the victims of police violence, as well as very effectively making it harder for people in those communities to exercise their constitutional rights. I am not speaking in bad faith as you assume anyone who takes up this line of reasoning must be- I genuinely believe that is a massive (if not the primary) reason to oppose 114. To be short: the government, and in particular the Oregon government, has a long running track record of tyranny over marginalized communities. To ensure the freedom of these communities, we must allow them to arm themselves. This argument is especially pertinent as the recent trend is that black and brown people, LGBTQ people, and women are the fastest growing segments of gun owners. If we fail to protect gun rights now, we've done those communities a serious disservice by not allowing them to have to single most useful tools in guaranteeing their freedoms and right to self-determination.

Sorry if this is rambling, as I'm at work right now, but just felt it was important to address why this is a real position we should be taking, and not the cynical talking points you might encounter on Tucker Carlson Tonight.

I wanna address the bold first. I do not think the line of argument should be used cynically by any means, and I would publicly criticize anyone who attempted to argue from that point of view without actually holding it. But what I do know for a fact is that increasing laws surrounding firearms will absolutely lead to an increase in scrutiny by police over all communities, but especially those who are historically the victims of police violence, as well as very effectively making it harder for people in those communities to exercise their constitutional rights. I am not speaking in bad faith as you assume anyone who takes up this line of reasoning must be- I genuinely believe that is a massive (if not the primary) reason to oppose 114. To be short: the government, and in particular the Oregon government, has a long running track record of tyranny over marginalized communities. To ensure the freedom of these communities, we must allow them to arm themselves. This argument is especially pertinent as the recent trend is that black and brown people, LGBTQ people, and women are the fastest growing segments of gun owners. If we fail to protect gun rights now, we've done those communities a serious disservice by not allowing them to have to single most useful tools in guaranteeing their freedoms and right to self-determination.

Sorry if this is rambling, as I'm at work right now, but just felt it was important to address why this is a real position we should be taking, and not the cynical talking points you might encounter on Tucker Carlson Tonight.
Your point is well taken.

For clarity, I don't disagree with the assessment: I believe that there would be disparate negative impact. Though I did over-generalize the community here, I only meant that using this argument as a narrative tactic could be a bit cynical. And even so, I don't necessarily judge anyone for it.

Honesty is critical in persuasion. If the argument comes honestly, its not cynical. Appologies for casting about with assumptions or if I seemed to come from a place of judgement. That was not my intention.

I have "mini" vote no 114 flyers that I can give to active boots on the ground for distribution. Please contact me if you want some and can distribute on windshields, shops, etc. thx.

ps i am located in West Portland.

Last Edited:
Thread cleaned up a bit.

This thread is about

Oregon Ballot Measure 114

Further attempts at derailing this thread will result in administrative action.
Honest question:

Could we get administrative action in the form of a mass message to all members of the forum spreading awareness about Measure 114? It wouldn't even have to be a message taking a stand against it; just an electronic "voters pamphlet" about what it is, what the result of a YES vote would mean for Oregonians, the deadline to register to vote in Oregon, etc…?

ETA: I only mention this because I've noticed the "announcement" at the top of the site sometimes doesn't load for me when using my phone. If any other member has the same occasional issue, they may be missing it entirely.

I have "mini" vote no 114 flyers that I can give to active boots on the ground for distribution. Please contact me if you want some and can distribute on windshields, shops, etc. thx.

ps i am located in West Portland.
That would be great, actually. I'd like to hand them out with every transfer I do and put them up around town, along with the NWFA flyers normally done. Something short, to the point, and eye-catching would be grand. :s0155:

Honest question:

Could we get administrative action in the form of a mass message to all members of the forum spreading awareness about Measure 114? It wouldn't even have to be a message taking a stand against it; just an electronic "voters pamphlet" about what it is, what the result of a YES vote would mean for Oregonians, the deadline to register to vote in Oregon, etc…?

ETA: I only mention this because I've noticed the "announcement" at the top of the site sometimes doesn't load for me when using my phone. If any other member has the same occasional issue, they may be missing it entirely.
Yep, we'll be doing this with a link to this thread for further information. Since you're the author of this thread, it would be helpful if you edited the original post with this information :s0155:

I'll look into the announcement issue as well.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top