JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Has anyone here written a letter to editor opposing 114?
Why yes, just did when I saw that silly thing.

Recent research suggests there are about 6 million guns in Oregon.

In 2019, FBI data shows a sad 61 homicides with some kind of firearm. No doubt those are tragic for the victims, their families and their friends.

But Measure 114's provisions of banning large capacity magazines, requiring a permit to purchase, and specifying an unfunded mandate to create training and assessment processes cannot possibly affect such low numbers. 114's content imposes a huge burden and cost on buyers of guns, while having no effect at all on the nearly 6 million guns already here.

Measure 114 is all cost, no benefit. Please vote NO on Measure 114.

114 slide cost benefit.jpg

Last Edited:
All Oregonians, take notice, Ballot Measure 114 (spawned from the successful initiative petition 17) will be on the ballot this November.

If it passes (YES on 114), Oregon will become one of the most restrictive States in the Union when it comes to our 2nd Amendment rights.

Most notably, expect:

-A ban on the purchasing, selling, and use of "high capacity magazines" (those holding more than 10 rounds). Typical "grandfather" clauses apply.

-Myriad restrictions on where you can use your grandfathered magazines (basically nowhere other than private property or gun clubs/shooting ranges).

-The need to acquire a permit to purchase firearms, with a live-fire demonstration/training being a part of the permitting process.

For further information on what this measure will do, take it straight from the horses mouth (donkey may be more appropriate 😃); Lift Every Voice Oregon, who was responsible for getting this unconstitutional measure on the ballot.

For all members of this forum, it should go without saying that we need to vote NO on this measure! Spread the word to friends, family, coworkers, etc…With word of mouth, I think we can be successful in enlightening the ignorant and potentially winning over fence-sitters.

Likewise, we cannot assume that even the most staunch 2A supporters are aware of this measure; I personally know many die-hard gun owners who were completely unaware of this until I told them about it!

Hopefully we can use this thread to share resources, ideas, and any other pertinent information that will help defeat Measure 114 in November.
We cannot let this crazy, unconstitutional measure pass. We need to make sure to get the word out to everyone we know to vote NO on 114.

Going back to 'effectiveness', one needs to ask 'are there not things that are worse than gun homicides?'

Let's look at Oregon DMV statistics for 2019.

You will recall that in 2019, there were 61 total firearms homicides for an estimated 1.2 million gun owners.

DMV says, for 2019, 494 deaths, 39,737 injuries, 50,000 crashes.

They further say (in 2022) there are
  • About 4.1 million registered vehicles. Of those, about 3.2 million are passenger vehicles.
  • Nearly 3.1 million licensed drivers.
Let's compare:

61 firearms homicides / 1,200,000 gun owners = 0.00005

494 vehicle deaths / 3,100,000 licensed drivers = 0.00016

Vehicle deaths are over 3 times more common (16/5) than firearms homicides - and that's almost all with licensed drivers in registered vehicles.

And yet, nobody, not even MADD anymore, is proposing draconian measures against drivers or purchasing vehicles. (Umm, have to exclude the 'only electric vehicles' folks ... )

I wonder what the auto-safety people know that has not percolated through the brains of the anti-gun crowd.

114 slide problem.jpg

Has anyone posted any signs at kiosks at shooting areas we use? Like wolf creek abd other shooting places? Seems that alot of people I talk to had no clue as well as many others here.

Just because they have guns they truely have no idea this was on ballot

Has anyone posted any signs at kiosks at shooting areas we use? Like wolf creek abd other shooting places? Seems that alot of people I talk to had no clue as well as many others here.

Just because they have guns they truely have no idea this was on ballot
You are on to something, rhollister71. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the non-political gun owners I have spoken with were not aware of this. The promoters of the bill have a lot of money waiting to pay for tv ads the day ballots come out. We need to get the word out first

You are on to something, rhollister71. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the non-political gun owners I have spoken with were not aware of this. The promoters of the bill have a lot of money waiting to pay for tv ads the day ballots come out. We need to get the word out first
Could laminate pdfs? Simple Vote no in 114🚫

Note that all my posts opposing Measure 114 are 'fact based'. That's pretty much the wrong arena for an election.

But maybe that can be twisted a bit.

From the 2021 gun survey, we learn that
Gun Ownership Demographics
• About a third of adults in the U.S. report owning a firearm, totaling about 81.4 million adult gun owners.
• 57.8% of gun owners are male, 42.2% are female.
• 25.4% of Blacks own firearms.
• 28.3% of Hispanics own firearms.
• 19.4% of Asians own firearms.
• 34.3% of Whites own firearms.
Also, NSSF says for 2020
the NSSF's survey found that women comprised 40 percent of recent first-time gun buyers while the group with the largest statistical increases, African Americans, grew 58 percent. At the same time, gun purchases have almost doubled from 2019 figures while ammo sales are up a whopping 139 percent.

How about

114 slide BIPOC.jpg

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show