JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

I don't see any definition of "the people" excluding anyone based on age. Just saying... The .Guv wouldn't violate the US Constitution, would they?

At 18 you have have exceeded your minority and and no longer a minor but instead are an adult, now working towards your majority at 21. You can be drafted and are held every bit as responsible and accountable as an adult. I see no place in the USSC that states that our unalienable rights are age dependent.

Our Rights begin at our birth, there is no language in our Constitution or B.o.R. that places limits on who can or cannot enjoy those rights, or at what age they start to apply!
Very true! My children, all four of them (that I know of, LOL) all got their first firearm at the age of four. That is the age they get to pull the trigger for the first time, with my help of course. Putting age limits on these things discourages use of them and promotes ignorance of said tools. My three oldest kids all have their own membership at our range and do not require supervision. I do supervise them but only because I'm always proud to watch them practice safety at all the times. They even point out other members not doing things correctly. I believe that making someone wait until they are an adult makes for some very dangerous situations unless they have someone to "show them the ropes"

It's a win-win. 18-20 year olds get the right to purchase firearms back and the retailers get to flaunt their Virtue Signaling (Look at us, we tried to make everyone safer) but ultimately will increase profits as they now will have to sell tools of death to those dangerous 18-20 year olds.

A surprising but welcome ruling; I remember reading about the initial dismissal of the case at the lower level and actually thought that that was better in the long run. Getting this reversed by the Appeals court is going to carry a lot more weight!

I was Ms. Dalbeck's lawyer in this case. It's an important win for the rights of young gun owners that I'm proud of. But, I think the Dem controlled legislature may try to ram through legislation to reverse this win in the upcoming sessions. Floyd Prozanski has already signalled his intent to introduce legislation on that point. The Dems don't have the numbers on this unless some of the Republican legislators don't vote against it, so keep that in mind when you vote this November.

I was Ms. Dalbeck's lawyer in this case. It's an important win for the rights of young gun owners that I'm proud of. But, I think the Dem controlled legislature may try to ram through legislation to reverse this win in the upcoming sessions. Floyd Prozanski has already signalled his intent to introduce legislation on that point. The Dems don't have the numbers on this unless some of the Republican legislators don't vote against it, so keep that in mind when you vote this November.
Are you up to task of challenging the license to purchase portion of IP17, assuming voters pass it (99.99% sure they will)? My belief is that FFLs and Customers will suffer damages because they won't have the licensing scheme in place by Jan 1st, 2023 which is when the law will take effect. This means FFLs will not be able to release firearms to customers since they won't have their license to purchase. At the very least there should be an injunction halting the license to purchase requirement until the licensing process is created and active? Ideally I would like to see the license to purchase requirement halted until the courts decide whether it's constitutional or not.

Edit: Assuming voters pass it and you think there is a good opportunity to challenge it. What will the ideal plaintiff and circumstances look like?

Last Edited:
Very true! My children, all four of them (that I know of, LOL) all got their first firearm at the age of four. That is the age they get to pull the trigger for the first time, with my help of course. Putting age limits on these things discourages use of them and promotes ignorance of said tools. My three oldest kids all have their own membership at our range and do not require supervision. I do supervise them but only because I'm always proud to watch them practice safety at all the times. They even point out other members not doing things correctly. I believe that making someone wait until they are an adult makes for some very dangerous situations unless they have someone to "show them the ropes"
I think that age four is too young. I started mine out at age five, when they entered mandatory kindergarten...;)

I think that age four is too young. I started mine out at age five, when they entered mandatory kindergarten...;)
Good for you, my policy has proven effective four times now. They are even ahead of the curve when entering kindergarten and with real experience can talk about a positive experience when the teacher talks about firearms.

I don't think any age is really "too young". I agree that 4 is right about the time to be thinking about it, though. Long term memory recall is farily well developed by then, but it really boils down to each childs ability to listen, follow directions and demonstrate a certain level of maturity and impulse control. I started at 4 and 4 out of 5 of mine started then too. One wasn't quite ready until just about 5, so it's safe to say it really depends more on the child than any particular age.

I certainly don't agree with 20 or 21 for firearms though. If they were brought up with firearms then they've likely been demonstrating firearm responsibility with large caliber firearms, with little to no direct supervision, since at least 12 (hunting age). Making them wait 6 years (until 18) is harsh enough. I'm of the mindset too though that if they are old enough to vote and put their lives on the line for their country then they are plenty old enough to own their own firearm.

I undertand the argument though that not all 18yr olds were brought up the same as mine and don't demonstate the maturity level to handle that type of responsibility. Sounds more like a parenting issue to me though. ;)

I mean, you don't toss your kids the car keys on the appropriate birthday and tell them "go drive".... right? Likewise, it still falls on the parents to ensure your child is prepared for that responsibility. IMHO, If unable to do it yourself then the least you could do is put them through firearm safety classes... the same as you would for drivers ed.

Kids pull stupid stunts with their vehicles too. Some leading to needless deaths, but you don't see them trying to raise the driving age to 21, now do you? Since driving is a privilage you have to be granted it would seem to make more sense to do that than delay someone their inalienable right. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would just about guarantee the ratio of gun owning 18yr olds that commit mass murders is significantly lower than the ratio of 16-18yr olds that cause a vehicle related death.

Last Edited:
Children having positive experiences with firearms is a big no-no these days in the schools.... Likely be cause for the SWAT team showing up at your home and multiple FatMen rootin thru yer stuff... 😜...
My son has been drilled numerous times not to talk about firearms with anyone just for that reason he's 8 he received his first firearm when he graduated kindergarten a cricket

Interesting. When BiMart first put up signs for no sales under 21 I had
a conversation with the local manager. Her take on the company policy
was that because they were a membership only store, the public
accommodation laws did not apply. Might have to pay a visit in a
couple of days and see if the signs are still up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top