JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The political agenda will be set by the people in power. That is regretable but not debatable. So how do you proceed when you are in the minority? First it helps to understand the process. In a short session, which this one will be, the number of bills that can be introduced will be VERY limited. No matter what our side introduces, the other side decides which bills get heard. So, while we would all like to be on the offense, the fact is the other side has total control over the playing field.

I am not saying I like that or that it's good. I am simply saying after 15 years of losing almost NO battles, the numbers are now aligned against us. I know that will anger some people but the reality is, until we elect some better people, which means lots of gun owners have to stop refusing to vote because "it doesn't make a difference", we are playing defense. Run the numbers. It's just a fact. That does not mean we can't continue to defeat bad legislation, but it DOES mean the other side will not allow good legislation to pass. They have their orders.

So, understanding we have NO advantage in Salem, I am once again recommending that gun owners concentrate on their localities, whether that be cities or counties, where the outcome in Coos proved we can win. We were able to get 24 counties to oppose 941. The next step is to get them to come out and say it will not be enforced. Many sheriffs have already said this.

The answer is in your home town or county. It's time for gun owners, especially those in the more rural counties to go to their commissioners and sheriffs and ask for a formal declaration that they will not enforce 941 or other anti-gun laws. You don't need resources. You don't need a sophisticated machine. You need yourself and a few friends to walk in and make these demands.

The groundwork has been laid. It's simple, it's just not easy. But if you want to win, there is where you should start. Make a call and an appointment. It's time to roll.

It seems to me that one of the big problems in Oregon is the anti whether fishing or hunting is they divide us by groups. For instance they turn salmon guys against bass guys like they did this summer taking limits off bass by saying its an invasive species to save salmon. Or Commercial salmon against sport fishing. Hunters are clueless about gun control since they don't hunt with AR 15s. and they don't think it effects them. I talk to hunters all the time and they never know about these bills until it too late. Seems to me to win in Oregon we have to mobilize all outdoor sportsman in the name of our future and to have greater numbers to prevent this chipping away at our outdoor sports by the antis, EPA and every other left leaning gov agency. IF we all don't stand up for every other group we will all fail and fall in the end. The days of saying they can't do that its unconstitutional is over We are now Post Constitutional and the sooner we recognize that the sooner we get back to it

Last Edited:
As some of us have been saying. A lot of people we need who are not anti-gun, are anti politics and don't even realize what's been happening with our gun rights.
Seems like we need media Ads to wake them up and inform them.

As some of us have been saying. A lot of people we need who are not anti-gun, are anti politics and don't even realize what's been happening with our gun rights.

The NRA does on other areas put out tv ads and billboards. I have always been curious why money from OFF is used to fund the pockets of politicians as based on reports from the Secretary of state in Oregon yet not one public ad anywhere. My own opinion is asking, is getting family members into office and paying for the election of other politicians many whom did not make it into office a good choice for OFF funding? I don't know but in other posts on NWFA people say Kevin( yourself) is alone in the fight there and does it all by himself. Does that mean that the moneys spent by the lobby are just one persons choice? Seems to me there should be a board of directors deciding where the money in spent. Ceasefire Oregon has a board and does just that perhaps that is the problem is one person taking of too much alone ? Reading your responses it seem OFF is puzzled in how to proceed perhaps having a committee or something to help you get a god focal point in place ?

I again appreciate your answers Keven, but being OFF is publicly supported just like the NRA if there is no chance of OFF doing anything to stop this, then what is all the emails I get to donate and support OFF supposed to do? You are telling people what to do on their own and in their own lives perhaps that is good advice but a few hundred that might find your post might be asking the same questions. If OFF wants funding to fight, great but what specifically is the money being used for in this next fight whats OFF's plan to go against a minority, we all know throwing money at Republican elections did nothing to interrupt the majority stance I think personally that was a mistake to have done when money maybe could have went to TV spots or bill boards or educating the public.
Perhaps Kevin having representatives from county areas to help get the word out in their areas to non-gun owners ?

I think we all know the problem, I am wondering what OFF is planning to do to slow or stop this run away train. If the answer is OFF can't then that should be clear so Oregon can make other plans to fight. Or what is the plan to get this going 90 days and all is going to break lose. Another shooting for the Antis to capitalize in Oregon before next session and we are screwed. That needs to be battled at the non-gun owners point of view and very soon. My opinion all summer should have been spent educating the non-gun owner.

( again not attacks on OFF I support OFF and its efforts, I am just not seeing a clear direction of what OFF will be doing to combat this 2016 session )

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't these questions and criticisms be more appropriate on the OFF facebook page or in a direct letter to Kevin? But I suppose things have changed and it's "The Donald effect" that causes people to lash out whenever they feel the urge.

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about criticism, just think that there are appropriate times and places for it.

Would also add that people that volunteer to work with OFF and with Kevin, probably know a lot more about how things are run.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't these questions and criticisms be more appropriate on the OFF facebook page or in a direct letter to Kevin? But I suppose things have changed and it's "The Donald effect" that causes people to lash out whenever they feel the urge.

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about criticism, just think that there are appropriate times and places for it.

Would also add that people that volunteer to work with OFF and with Kevin, probably know a lot more about how things are run.
Situations like this almost tempt me to join facebook. I hope those that are members will post suggestions about targeted media Ads. I really do think Ads on TV are our last best option that hasn't really been tried.

There is so much material to work with. The Emergency clause abuse alone would sway many an opinion.
Just a review of SB941 to get everybody up to speed on what they have done to our rights.
Also a review on past legislation they tried to push through and failed but will certainly try to push through again.

"In July of this year, the Alliance held a mailing campaign known as "Not One More", claiming that 16,000 postcards were mailed to legislators."

If this is true, or regardless if it is, why don't WE try doing something like this? Or is this a lost cause since they don't seem to listen anyways? Maybe them seeing the amount of people that are finally standing up will make then think twice about loosing their seat?

"In July of this year, the Alliance held a mailing campaign known as "Not One More", claiming that 16,000 postcards were mailed to legislators."

If this is true, or regardless if it is, why don't WE try doing something like this? Or is this a lost cause since they don't seem to listen anyways? Maybe them seeing the amount of people that are finally standing up will make then think twice about loosing their seat?
I'd prefer the mailers were sent to the voting public in the districts that have the anti-gun Legislators like Portland Eugene.

I think you are dead on, preaching to the choir while it can rally the troops wont change the balance of power. If we do not reach out beyond our comfort zone we will get the exact results.
We have to think what have Antis used success ? Media , media media.
What has our side used, closed gun groups and alliances this alone wont reach masses.

I think you are dead on, preaching to the choir while it can rally the troops wont change the balance of power. If we do not reach out beyond our comfort zone we will get the exact results.
We have to think what have Antis used success ? Media , media media.
What has our side used, closed gun groups and alliances this alone wont reach masses.

So how to get started? I'm just a schmo with limited funds, (unemployed recently LOL!), contacts or knowledge on how you would get an Ad on local TV or Radio even.
AM talk radio would be preaching to the choir also. Maybe mixed format Music/sports Radio.

Here's where OFF would REALLY be helpful in starting first a Plan. Second a funding campaign and third execution of the AD.

So how to get started? I'm just a schmo with limited funds, (unemployed recently LOL!), contacts or knowledge on how you would get an Ad on local TV or Radio even.
AM talk radio would be preaching to the choir also. Maybe mixed format Music/sports Radio.
Here's where OFF would REALLY be helpful in starting first a Plan. Second a funding campaign and third execution of the AD.

OFF is already funded and has a non-profit education setup perhaps that is a way to get it going. Not sure why its never been looked at by them before but they have the means to get it started.

I would love to see a radio and TV ad campaign get going. There is one huge problem. I don't suspect that it would be a problem to get gun owners to contribute some extra money both for production and air time, but the real question is whether the media outlets would allow us to run those ads. As we saw in the recalls, there were groups working directly against those efforts by blocking certain things from happening. Don't be surprised if we could find a way to get some commercials created, and have no place to air them.

I would also like to see the other groups in the state, such as the Oregon Alliance to Protect Hunting and Fishing, get their members involved - get information in front of the hunters that sometimes don't manage to pay attention to anything in gun control save for lead ammo bans.

I was surprised to find several hunters I know knew NOTHING about 941 even months after it happened. Yes, even after the, "Look what we saved you from -- good for us", commercials were aired. Some were pretty upset but others seemed to think it didn't really affect them.

I think involving hunting/fishing organizations is a great idea.

I would love to see a radio and TV ad campaign get going. There is one huge problem. I don't suspect that it would be a problem to get gun owners to contribute some extra money both for production and air time, but the real question is whether the media outlets would allow us to run those ads. As we saw in the recalls, there were groups working directly against those efforts by blocking certain things from happening. Don't be surprised if we could find a way to get some commercials created, and have no place to air them.

I would also like to see the other groups in the state, such as the Oregon Alliance to Protect Hunting and Fishing, get their members involved - get information in front of the hunters that sometimes don't manage to pay attention to anything in gun control save for lead ammo bans.
This benign Pro-gun Ad was supposedly rejected from the 2013 Super Bowl.
A lot more scrutiny and of course $$$ on a S. Bowl Ad. These local Stations don't have the luxury of turning down Advertising I would think.
They have shown Every Town for gun Registration Bloomberg Ads haven't they? I'm sure I've heard Planned Parenthood etc. They don't turn down campaign Ads. Every Candidate against the anti-gun incumbents should have a pro-gun element to it!

This benign Pro-gun Ad was supposedly rejected from the 2013 Super Bowl.
A lot more scrutiny and of course $$$ on a S. Bowl Ad. These local Stations don't have the luxury of turning down Advertising I would think.
They have shown Every Town for gun Registration Bloomberg Ads haven't they? I'm sure I've heard Planned Parenthood etc. They don't turn down campaign Ads. Every Candidate against the anti-gun incumbents should have a pro-gun element to it!

Talk to the folks that tried to run recalls and see what they ran into when they tried to get some coverage. They may not be as cash heavy as the national outlets, but they still have agendas and they will reject ads that don't make them all warm and fuzzy inside.

No doubt etrain but Cable Companies aren't really local. Lifetime Television for women could use a few scary intruder pro-gun ads I'm thinking. The Costs might be reasonable.

It's all in the way it gets presented to the sales dept . Just a PSA supporting your Right to Protect yourself.

Just googling a few things I came up with this.

http://www.gaebler.com/National-TV-Spot-Ad-Costs.htm

Running Television Commercials - How Much Does It Cost?

When we hear that a half-minute Super Bowl television commercial costs $2.4 million, it's pretty intimidating. ABC, CBS and NBC book nearly $10 billion a year in TV ad revenues. National TV spots on the final summer "Survivor" episode sold for $1 million. National TV spots on "Millionaire" sold for $750,000. National TV spots on final "Seinfeld" sold for $2 million each. All these big numbers scare many small businesses away from advertising on TV.

In reality you can put together television advertising programs that reach your target markets for much less money than you might expect. For example, you can broadcast your commercial on local cable stations for about $50 per spot. Pricing is based on time of day, what shows your TV ad runs with, the size of the viewing audience and things like that -- there's also a fair bit of negotiation involved. Don't forget that you also can choose how long your TV commercial is -- there are 15-second TV spots, 30-second TV spots and 60-second TV spots.

Make a donation to OPB. Not really a commercial, but you'll get a name on the screen. Not to profile or anything, but I would guess that the average PBS viewer isn't much of a firearms enthusiast.

Talk to the folks that tried to run recalls and see what they ran into when they tried to get some coverage. They may not be as cash heavy as the national outlets, but they still have agendas and they will reject ads that don't make them all warm and fuzzy inside.

Origionally, I thought that with the revocation of the "Fairness Doctrine" in 2011, we were at the whim of every station as to what they will air. After doing a little looking (I'm not anywhere close to a legal scholar, so forgive me if I'm way off base) I think OFF, NRA, 2AF or any other non profit 2A group may be able to use the below (see highlighted) under the "Equal Time Rule". If the stations are airing any adds by the anti non profits then they should be airing adds by pro 2A non profits. This may be a law suit in the making.

https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/policy/political/candrule.htm
FCC said:
Section 315 [47 U.S.C. §315] Facilities for candidates for public office.
(a)If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any public office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station: Provided, That such licensee shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast under the provision of this section. No obligation is hereby imposed under this subsection upon any licensee to allow the use of its station by any such candidate. Appearance by a legally qualified candidate on any –
(1)bona fide newscast,
(2)bona fide news interview,
(3)bona fide news documentary (if the appearance of the candidate is incidental to the presentation of the subject or subjects covered by the news documentary), or
(4)on-the-spot coverage of bona fide news events (including but not limited to political conventions and activities incidental thereto),
shall not be deemed to be use of a broadcasting station within the meaning of this subsection. Nothing in the foregoing sentence shall be construed as relieving broadcasters, in connection with the presentation of newscasts, news interviews, news documentaries, and on-the-spot coverage of news events, from the obligation imposed upon them under this Act to operate in the public interest and to afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views of issues of public importance.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads