JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone contacted those running for their stances on the 2nd amendment?

If not, perhaps we can start flooding them with this questionnaire, <broken link removed>

At this point in time it looks like there are 13 people registered to run for the position, https://secure.sos.state.or.us/ores...ToDate=&cfWithDrawFromDate=&cfWithDrawToDate=

Only three have contact forms on their pages,
Suzanne Bonamici, Contact
Rob Cornilles, <broken link removed>
Brad Avakian, <broken link removed>

The rest just have emails for contacting them...
Brad Witt, [email protected]
Saba Ahmed, [email protected]
Pavel Goberman, [email protected]
Jim Greenfield, [email protected]
Dominic Hammon, [email protected]
Robert E Lettin, [email protected]
Lisa Michaels, [email protected]
Delinda R Morgan, [email protected]
Todd Lee Ritter, [email protected]
Dan Strite, [email protected]

I've already done my part in sending the questionnaire out, please do your's. And we can keep track of not only who replies how, but also who doesn't reply.

Last Edited:
Delinda R. Morgan has the distinction of not only being the first but replying quite quickly...

Questions:
1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and
that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?

YES

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by
all levels of government, including city, county and state?

YES

3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional.
CONVICTED FELONS CANNOT OWN WEAPONS

4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional.
ANY RESTRICTIONS ON LEGAL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen
to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?

YES

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons
of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to
publicly promote that right?

YES, FOR ANY LEGAL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS

7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Why?
IF BACKGROUND CHECK PROVES LAW ABIDING AND LEGAL CITIZENSHIP, NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED, PER SECOND AMMENDMENT

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms?
Why?

IF BACKGROUND CHECK PROVES LAW ABIDING AND LEGAL CITIZENSHIP, NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED, PER SECOND AMMENDMENT

9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed?
CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT IN THE STATE OF OREGON FOR LAW ABIDING AND LEGAL CITIZENS

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up
with consistent actions? How?

YES, I WILL PROPOSE LEGISLATION AS PER QUES. NO. 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------
On following up for clarification...
My Email:
Thank you for the very rapid response, it's greatly appreciated.

Just for 100% clarity, I would like some clarification on your answer to
question 9. Am I correct that you are not meaning you would remove the
ability to get the permit, but instead would seek to remove the need for the
permit as per your answer to question 5?

Again, I thank you for your time, and appreciate your answers.
Sincerely,
<my name>

Delinda R. Morgan's response:
"Yes. Thank you."

Last Edited:
Saba Ahmed is now the 2nd to reply...

1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?
Saba Ahmed: Yes

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?
Saba Ahmed: Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution, known as Supremacy of National Law, establishes the U.S. Constitution, U.S. Treaties, and Federal Statutes as "the supreme law of the land." The text decrees these to be the highest form of law in the U.S. legal system, and mandates that all state judges must follow federal law when a conflict arises between federal law and either the state constitution or state law of any state.

Saba Ahmed: The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Saba Ahmed: <broken link removed>

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?
Saba Ahmed: Yes, but it is an uphill battle as the U.S. Government would like to control anything and everything!

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?
Saba Ahmed: I believe Americans have the right to own, use and carry weapons. I don't need to promote something that is already a given right.

Saba Ahmed: Oppose

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms? Why?
Saba Ahmed: Oppose, there is no point of it.

Saba Ahmed: Haven't decided yet, would love to get your input. Thanks.

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?
Saba Ahmed: I always try to keep my word and look forward to supporting the NRA and other Gun Rights Organizations. They can count on my vote in Congress.

Pavel Goberman is next...

1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?
Any society runs by law. Yes, but it "raped" by many elected and not elected officials and no any punishment.

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?
Yes.

Looks like all. I must study it.

? I must study it.

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?
Yes, especially women.

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?
No, but the Constitution of the USA.

No, it is not the government business to know what you are doing.

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms?
Why?

No, "More Guns - Less Crime" it is not the government business to violate the Constitution without amendment, supported by We the People. If a woman knows that she is in big danger: raped or killed, she may use a gun right away for own protection.

I'm not sure if any. I must listen to the people's opinions.

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?
Yes, listen to We the People.

Now Brad Witt takes first for the non-answer reply, which is a shame since he voted well on HB 2787, 2792, 2797...

Dear Chris,

Long and the short of it, your questionnaire is not something that's going to take a few moments. But I will tell you this, he has a 100% voting record with the NRA.

---------------------------------------------------
Katherine Pfeiffer
Brad Witt For Congress, Campaign Director
[email protected]
503-957-6316

As an "insider" in the Democratic party, I'm going to be sending the Democratic candidates a questionnaire. From what I've seen so far, Ms. Ahmed appears to be as 100% pro-gun-rights as it is possible to be.

The OFF has gotten responses from three Democratic candidates and one Republican. They say Ms. Ahmed appears 100% pro-gun, Mr. Strite and Mr. Hammon "support Federal restrictions on modern firearms and ammunition feeding devices. Both believe the Feds have the right to regulate, tax and restrict firearms ownership." Although they did publish the entirety of Hammon's answers. They look rather "gun friendly" by your stereotype-of-a-Democrat standards. Depending on your personal views, they might be okay, or might be too far-reaching. They just published today a response from Republican Delgado-Morgan, whom they say is "almost 100% pro-gun."

The ones that will actually matter are Brad Avakian, Brad Witt, Suzanne Bonamici, Rob Cornilles, and MAYBE Pavel Goberman. I can't see any of the other candidates having much of a shot. (Although I did meet Saba Ahmed a couple months ago, and she seemed like a very nice person - I just don't think she'll get much traction.)

Now Brad Witt takes first for the non-answer reply, which is a shame since he voted well on HB 2787, 2792, 2797...

Dear Chris,

Long and the short of it, your questionnaire is not something that's going to take a few moments. But I will tell you this, he has a 100% voting record with the NRA.

---------------------------------------------------
Katherine Pfeiffer
Brad Witt For Congress, Campaign Director
[email protected]
503-957-6316

Confirmed!

Brad Witt received an A+ rating from the NRA PVF in 2010

I see all these questions as "softballs" for pro-gun types. The question I would like to see answered by any potential politician is how they would address people like Loughner and Cho in terms of the RKBA issue. I don't know that there is a good answer that will give everyone a warm fuzzy on this but I believe the question would bring out what the candidate really believes on the gun issue.

Well, this actually annoys me. Witt seemed "too liberal" to win the general election, where Bonamici seemed more likely to be able to win the general, so I had been leaning toward Bonamici. But that was mostly based on posturing and rhetoric, not on actual voting stances, since it's rhetoric that gets pointed out in campaigns.

But since this is one of the few issues of substance that I care about that they differ on, I'm going to have to go with Witt now. That's too big a difference to overlook. Well, hopefully he can do a better job of selling his moderate-ness in the general election...

I heard Witt being interviewed on the radio the other day and I actually liked most of what he had to say. Many of his ideas involve what some would consider pretty radical changes to the status quo..... but I'm all for that because the status quo is a sinking ship. We as a country need to try something new if we are going to get out of this mess we made for ourselves. As an independent I like to take each idea and examine it on its own merit, I think partisan labeling is equivalent to judging a book by its cover.

Here is the response to a letter I wrote.

Dear Pat,

Thanks for the question. Rob has time and again expressed a consistent position throughout the last two cycles regarding his strong support for the 2nd Amendment whenever he has been asked about it or whenever it comes up on the stump. As he says, he will take an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. That means ALL of it - including the 2nd Amendment. {And another too often abused Amendment, the 10th}.

He is not a hunter, but all three of his boys (2 Eagle Scouts and a third well on his way) are avid hunters. Our Senior Field Director is an avid hunter and our other Field Director, an Army vet, is a gun owner. Yours truly is a gun owner and an Oregon CHL holder. That should give you some insight into Rob's strong support for our 2nd Amendment rights.

Aside: we are awaiting NRA ratings this cycle, but Rob was "A" rated last cycle.

As a rule, due to a lack of sufficient time/staff, we do not respond to any of the myriad of questionnaires sent to this office on a daily basis by the entire spectrum of advocacy groups. If we did so, our staff would be overwhelmed.

However, Pat, I would be happy to further discuss Rob's strong support for the 2nd Amendment. Please feel free to call HQ at 503.922.2014 and ask for me.

Regards,

Mike C.

Mike Carew, Deputy Campaign Manager & Policy Director

Interesting that Cornilles was rated "A" by the NRA when he made almost zero second amendment-related statements. He has made none this time around publicly, and the OFF says he is a total unknown, and can't endorse him. The NRA has given Bonamici a 'D' the last two times, but I'm working on her to be more supportive. ESPECIALLY in this district, that could be the tipping point for her.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top