JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've a question for anyone who's ordered from the Civilian Marksmanship Program/CMP South (Alabama).

Did you receive an order acknowledgment, either by mail or email? How long did this take?

Maybe I'm spoiled by the internet age, but I thought for sure they would send me an order confirmation/acknowledgement. My paperwork arrived 11 days ago.

Many thanks in advance

I've ordered many a Garand from them. Their "notification system" can be spotty. Sometimes you'll get an e-Mail and sometimes, not. Then, you could always just check your "order status."

Having said that.....it's been awhile since I ordered. And yes. Waiting is just a part of the "fun." Call it, "anticipation" of that extra special package....and it's not even Christmas.

Aloha, Mark

Your welcome?
I'm sorry?

Not sure what to say. :D But if you dig back about 8 years into that thread, you'll probably read a post or two from a younger Medic! . Wanting to know about one of his new baby's arrival. ;)

Last Edited:
my experiance was aprox 10-12 years ago aswell but it seems like the order form and check would go in the mail.... 6 weeks later i would get an email (i think?) and it would be at the door step a couple days later by fed-ex. i think i took a day off school once for such a delivery :)

I did a little digging around the CMP forums, and I found out a few things, in case anyone else is interested..

...I guess it takes a couple of weeks to get what they jokingly refer to as a "DBU" email (Don't Bother Us). Essentially this email says: "we got your order, we will verify, then input your order, before forwarding to sales. In the meantime, don't bother us". In other words, after receiving your DBU email, you won't hear from CMP again until your order reaches Sales. Most guys were claiming 7-8 weeks lead-times for Service Grade, at least as of Dec 17-Jan 18. Field Grade was shipping in 2 weeks.

I did a little digging around the CMP forums, and I found out a few things, in case anyone else is interested..

...I guess it takes a couple of weeks to get what they jokingly refer to as a "DBU" email (Don't Bother Us). Essentially this email says: "we got your order, we will verify, then input your order, before forwarding to sales. In the meantime, don't bother us". In other words, after receiving your DBU email, you won't hear from CMP again until your order reaches Sales. Most guys were claiming 7-8 weeks lead-times for Service Grade, at least as of Dec 17-Jan 18. Field Grade was shipping in 2 weeks.

So are you going for a 1911 when they come out?

M1_Winchester_001.jpg

Yes, CMP sold me this one....
M1_Winchester.jpg

And, I got this one from the old DCM......
M1_Garand_IHC.jpg

Of course, I also got these from the CMP (just to round out the collection).
M1_Garand_H_R.jpg
M1_Garand_Springfield.jpg

Aloha, Mark M1_Winchester_007.jpg

Last Edited:
So are you going for a 1911 when they come out?

No, I am not. I've had GI style 1911's before (which are readily available for relatively cheap) and I currently have a defender-sized 1911, but I don't own many handguns and consider myself more of rifleman. At least, that's what I enjoy collecting & shooting. Now, if the M1 Carbine or 1903 bolt-rifle become available again, I might find myself scrounging for funds..

No, I am not. I've had GI style 1911's before (which are readily available for relatively cheap) and I currently have a defender-sized 1911, but I don't own many handguns and consider myself more of rifleman. At least, that's what I enjoy collecting & shooting. Now, if the M1 Carbine or 1903 bolt-rifle become available again, I might find myself scrounging for funds..

Please tell me about these ''Readily available for relatively cheep'' 1911's?
You see. I live on a planet called ''Earth''. And we don't have those here. :s0112:

As to 30 carbines. I've heard there is another batch coming with the next M1 Rifles.
I hope there under $500 again.

Anyways. Keep on collecting.

The International Harvester was from the old Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM, now it's called the CMP). Back then, it was "suppose" to be a one in a lifetime buy. There was no choice as to manufacturer or condition. And as a civilian, I had to prove that I would be participating in the shooting competition sports prior to making the purchase. Oh.....and the usual other papers to go along with the application to purchase.

My friend and I joined a civilian affiliated rifle club and participated in two military hi-power matches out at Ewa Beach Hawaii (USMC Rifle Range). IIRC....the DCM said two matches (or was it at least 120 rounds of competition) was mandatory for civilian shooters. I used my M1a for the competition.

Anyway, after I got my requirements done. The application was mailed in and the waiting began. No computers back then. IIRC....$187 (in 1984).

When I got the package I did the NM modifications. Yup.....ruined the collector value.:eek: But, who would have known that the CMP would be selling rifles years later?

As for the other rifles that I purchased from the CMP. I've always bought Service Grade Rifles. It use to be "the luck of the draw." But, now a days....you get to pick the manufacturer and the condition of your purchase. What a change. If you're a picky sort of guy........just buy a rifle off of someone (or from a Gun Store) and pay the higher price.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews