JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I mentioned in this thread that I've been looking for a decent OWB holster. I got busy and, to be completely honest, forgot about it (I do like my IWB Crossbreed).

Got to talking about various carry rigs in a gun shop yesterday when the guy behind the counter started raving about the holster that more or less replaced the all his others. He said the best part was it was less than $20 and fits most of his guns. Come to find out the thing is $12 on Amazon. I'm not expecting much of anything really, at that price I just figured I'd give it a shot.

My opinion of universal products is that they generally do everything poorly, so we'll see. Should be here Saturday, I'll be sure to follow up :)

I have a Barsony black leather with a retention strap, looks the same, if you want it. Made right in Beaverton. It came with a pistol I got a while back and I am not a fan of having that much not covered by a holster.

001.JPG 003.JPG

I have a Barsony black leather with a retention strap, looks the same, if you want it. Made right in Beaverton. It came with a pistol I got a while back and I am not a fan of having that much not covered by a holster.

View attachment 294755 View attachment 294756

Yeah, naw! Needs more skin over the kit.

I was actually going to post another thread on retention and coverage, since that was my first thought. Can you guys elaborate a bit?

I always look for two things when I look at retention and coverage! One; How much of the trigger does it cover, and how does it keep fingers out? Two, how does it hold the pistol and keep it in place? I don't want it falling out, or worse, have a negligent discharge. I always recommend Ted Blocker in Tigard, good folks and Local made high quality products!

I was actually going to post another thread on retention and coverage, since that was my first thought. Can you guys elaborate a bit?
The coverage is my issue based on finish wear, knocking it against other stuff and also corrosion. If it were used as a basic holster for seldom worn pistols it may be OK but for something worn all the time not my first choice. I work around the shop and could see it getting chemical residue on/in it along with possibly scratching a ten thousand dollar paint job. It just doesn't fit my uses but YMMV.

Not to mention the wear and tear of the Pistol it self. My poor Kimber Compact has had all its finish worn off of it just from carrying it in the same holster and training with it! Keeping Both clean has been a challenge!

That holster above strikes me as using a rubber band to keep your weapon on you... it also strikes me as being half a bikini. :D

I prefer a hybrid type holster like a Crossbreed or Galco King-Tuck (what I use) for general EDC and since its IWB I'm not as concerned with enclosing the entire muzzle/barrel, but I require the entire trigger guard to be enclosed.

For an OWB holster (or gunbelt carry in the woods) I prefer the weapon to be covered from the muzzle up to the grip with thumbreak-type retention regardless if it's a form-fit leather or "universal service" nylon (or leather) holster so the weapon is protected from damage. I also have a Blackhawk with SERPA retention for my G30 that I use on a shoulder-rig and/or paddle-kit, but only occasionally.

I too like Deadeye prefer full gun coverage. I don't want my barrel scraping on anything if I happen to rub against it. Also helps when gun is nestled deep into the holster for keeping foreign objects out of the trigger. Not too much of a problem on my XD's since backstrap safety must also be pressed.

Great feedback here guys. I'm not concerned with wear on my primary EDC's (Glock 19 or CT-equipped PM9) but it's good to keep that in mind for other guns. Happy that it wasn't too expensive :)

That style 'was' a favorite with the 1911 crowd. But my guess is it was under a coat or such.
Not some thing I would want. I need the coverage and retention cause I only carry on walks or the quad. And in the truck it can get bumped around

Great feedback here guys. I'm not concerned with wear on my primary EDC's (Glock 19 or CT-equipped PM9) but it's good to keep that in mind for other guns. Happy that it wasn't too expensive :)
That is a good price.

Now that I think about it I did have one of those type of open ended holsters once. I ended up giving it to my father in law because I upgraded. It worked fine but I had to make it fit the gun a little better with some plastic wrap and a little water. It was comfortable to a degree, well worth the cheap price I paid.

it needs full coverage or anything that bumps the muzzle end will create leverage that wears out the holsters retention faster, typically "open top" (or strapless) holsters create the retention only on the trigger guard the rest of the holster is to hold it stationary and allow a fast draw. Full coverage also helps keeping the front sight from snagging the holster on the draw, I doubt a $12 holster has a proper sight channel engineered into it but maybe it does so the first thing I would look at when you get it is if the leather around the trigger guard is molded properly to the shape of the trigger guard for retentions. My feeling is this one relies just on belt tension or friction from wearing to retain the gun which will wear out too quickly and wont be consistent with your body movement throughout the day. Second thing to look at is if the holster stays open without the gun, you should be able to re-holster one handed. Another thing to consider with OWB holsters is if your cover garment rides up with even the tiniest of exposure there is no mistaking you have a gun whereas a piece of leather or other could be anything like a phone case.

I'm not trying to bash your choice, I've made my fair share of cheap holster purchases and every.single.one of them wound up in the trash so I'm just skeptical about this one. Although I don't know what your needs are in an OWB holster but if this is for CCW Im just saying don't compromise on quality for the low price. This design is, IMO, a "minimalist holster" design which has its place but not for EDC... (more of a backup holster. The holster saves storage space and provides something to get you by if you need it).

I'm not totally against the idea of this type of design, if you really like a belt slide type my only suggestion is to get a really good one regardless of price. Compare this design to the similar Galco Slide holster which has the molded trigger guard (that completely covers the trigger area) and front sight channel.

Quick-Slide_In-Use-cropped_b.jpg

How does your gun fall out and you not notice?
How many whiskeys were you down?
Lol

I used a something like a galco kingtuk for edc but I recently order a smaller style.
From Raw Dog tactical.
http://www.rawdogtactical.com/the-defender-pro-series/

It's kydex with a leather back. Looks comfortable and easy in and out.

I was also considering a N82
https://www.n82tactical.com/store/holsters/Glock26

But it's thicker and not sure how moldable the pad is.
And it's twice the cost. I would think the pad they use would be pretty comfortable though.

I've also never had any luck with cheap holsters. Seems I've bought one for every pistol I've owned, over the years... generally just to have something/anything until I could find a proper holster for it. Never once have I ever once actually carried a pistol in one, though. Always is a complete waste of my $15-$50

But there can always be a breakthrough. :)

Good luck

Well when you look at the cost of the supplies to make a holster especially out of kydex there's no reason to pay more than $30-$45.
Unless you like paying for someone's name and ego.

There's some truth to getting what you pay for, but as the tech changes prices should change as well.

If I had the time I would buy/make the tools and supplies to make my own holsters from kydex. For $100 you can make 2-3 holsters and a few mag pouches.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top