JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you wear Blaze Orange or Hunter Orange? Why or Why not?

I wear an Orange ball cap or beanie and an Orange surveyors vest. The vest has been bleached by UV exposure and washing, I doubt it "glows" anymore.
I also put an orange patch on the top and back of my backpack.
When I am posted up, sitting somewhere, I don't think it's likely someone would even know I was there. I might consider removing the orange stuff then, but probably not. When I am moving, I definitely wear the Orange.

I do and I dont. Kinda depends on the weather as when its sweat shirt weather I wear my orange hoodie from work and if it gets covered in blood then the boss would be happy to replace it. If its cold I am in my camo coat and I dont have any other orange stuff. I should get a hat. As far as the deer are conserned I dont think orange or camo matter. I have snuck up on just as many deer in jeans and a t-shirt as I have camo. They always know your there anyways, its just how stupid they are or how much they tollerate people.

I almost got shot hunting a couple years back, not by accident but because someone doing something they shouldn't (I didn't stick around to find out what) thought my buddy and I were...I don't know, law enforcement, other people up to no good wanting to rip them off, something. Either way, we heard a couple guns cock, hit the deck, then heard someone finally say "Its just a couple hunters, its alright"

Took all the fun out of it, maybe an orange vest would have let them know we weren't out there for drugs (the only thing I can assume they were protecting) since we were trying to stand out like a sore thumb, I dunno.

I do Search & Rescue....this time of year it's mostly for lost hunters....frankly it scares the crap out of me that someone's going to mistake my movement or that of our SAR K9 for a deer or elk...so this time of year we make plenty of noise, put bells and bright vest on our dogs and ourselves.

Orange hoody,everytime I go out. It doesnt matter if I'm sitting in a tree stand or crashing brush. You never know when an inexperianced or not so bright hunter is going to decide to send some lead your way.

I learned the hard way a few years ago why one should wear a bright color in the woods after being shot at by someone who "thought" they saw a deer.

Now days it bright orange or flouresent yellow every time I go out.

I will never forget the sound of the bullets zipping through the trees around me.

I for the life of me can't figure out why Oregon doesn't mandate Hunter Orange during big game rifle season. Every other state I've lived in does. Deer see in black and white, not color. A good blaze orange camo break up pattern is just as effective as a standard camo pattern. Deer see movement and shapes. The best thing you can do is break up your pattern.

It's a different thing for example when waterfowl hunting, but even then, I would wear a blaze orange vest going to and from the blind and then stow it when I was in the blind.

If you arent bow hunting, give it up. Wear Blaze orange vest and/or cap and spend your "camo" energy on scent control.

If you are hunting for deer, its not like camo's a big deal. If you are hunting for elk, "movement" and scent is all there is.

Here in Washington, I wear it during the modern seasons because I have to, but during muzzleloader season it's optional. When it's not required I still wear at least an orange hat, and my backpack is orange. I don't really see any good reasons not to wear at least a little bit.

Last weekend was my first time deer hunting, I've always thought wearing orange really wasn't necessary. If you can't see what your shooting at then don't shoot, right ? Now i'm a firm believer and own a BLAZING ORANGE vest and hat. Went out with a few buddies , we split up and i decided to jump off the main trail into the thick woods. Started coming back out and another hunter (not from our group) had his rifle drawn on me ! the thing that was really upsetting is that even after making sure he saw me (yelling I HOPE YOU CAN SEE ME !). He still didn't draw down his rifle ! WEAR ORANGE PEOPLE & BE SAFE !

Since I do all of my hunting out of my living room window, I just wear
pajamas. :gun12:

Naw, although we do have game on our property almost every day including deer and wild turkeys, I would never shoot one because we enjoy watching them too much. I go off into the woods to hunt. And yes, I wear orange. :s0155:

Pic from our great room window:

DSC00060a.jpg

One really dumb thing that too many hunters do is to use their rifle and scope to observe the area around them. This means that they may be looking at someone through the scope and pointing their rifle at them. To me, this is insanity! Get a pair of binoculars and NEVER point your rifle at another person. They might decide to shoot first and ask questions later. This is just COMMON SENSE, which too many people seem to lack. And, I do think that something orange is good to wear in the woods during hunting season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top