Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Orange stuff on my Glock

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Modeler, May 30, 2011.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Just picked up my first Glock, a 19C. There's a bunch of orange stuff on the slide, with kinda silvery flakes. The manual says not to wipe this stuff off; what it is? Some kind of lapping compound? Manual says it helps with break-in...

Greg

BTW - I dig it. Glock Kool-Aid? Drank...

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Seatac, WA Member

It's a copper based anti-seize compound.

3. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

Clean it and lube as you normally would. go shoot it, and enjoy.

Stay Safe.

4. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

5. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

This is unmistakable and tragic sign that your pistol has terminal cooties. I will volunteer to take it off of your hands for free and deal with them, just PM me............................elsullo

6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Hahaha, thanks for the offer. I'll keep you in mind!

Thanks for all the info. Next question: why would a gun need anti-seize compound?

Greg

7. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Let's hope you don't never find out

8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

everyone's got their own theories on the best stuff to put on guns for potential long-term storage. copper anti-seize is NOT the best lubricant, and glocks have been known to malfunction until the copper is cleaned off and a proper lube applied, so i'd recommend doing that before anything

9. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

The reason Glock applies this stuff to new weapons is so as they wear in for the first few hundred rounds, there is no danger of any galling to take place. You must remember that a Glock frame only bears on the slide with 4 small tabs, not a rail cut the entire length of the frame itself. This puts far more pressure on those 4 small surfaces.

The Loc-Tite C-5A Copper Anti Seize allows this wearing in to be accomplished smoothly. It is advisable to leave it on the pistol for at least 200 to 300 rounds. After that you can thoroughly clean the weapon, removing the copper, (the stuff is very difficult to get off, and gets everywhere), and relubricate with the oil or grease of your choice. This copper compound is also one of the best lubricants to put on screw in chokes on shotguns. It will prevent the threads from galling over long periods where oil or grease will dry up. Bill T.

10. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

The reason they put it on there is that not everyone cleans a new pistol before shooting it.

11. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

this. there is nothing wrong with shooting with the orange lube in the gun.

12. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

You should see a doctor immediately and try to remember all the places you've put your...........oh, sorry, I misread the topic header.

13. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Orange stuff on your Glock?? Remember, eat the Cheetos AFTER cleaning the Glock, not DURING..............

-------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!!

14. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Or change the flavor of Doritos you're eating. That way you can get a different color.:bluelaugh: