JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal to shoot a skunk in unincorporated Washington county?

Twice now, in as many days, we've had skunks in the yard and tonight they nailed the dog. What a mess it's going to be to clean that up.

Anyway, can I just shoot the dang things? With a pistol? Or a shotgun?

Is there a better way to just keep them out? I have a chain link fence, but because we live on a hillside, its practically impossible to prevent them from digging under.

Tomato soup/juice gets rid of the smell quite fast.

Aguila Super Colibri .22s drill a nice, air rifle volume hole in squirrels. Can't say as to legality.

Is it legal to shoot a skunk in unincorporated Washington county?

Twice now, in as many days, we've had skunks in the yard and tonight they nailed the dog. What a mess it's going to be to clean that up.

Anyway, can I just shoot the dang things? With a pistol? Or a shotgun?

Is there a better way to just keep them out? I have a chain link fence, but because we live on a hillside, its practically impossible to prevent them from digging under.

skunk is varmint. you're gonna have to check with the sheriff's office to see if YOUR part of unincorporated WASHCO is considered outside of urban boundaries. they have maps they can easily access to tell you.

i should add, however, that shooting skunk is generally not recommended. they tend to let loose everything they have in 'em, saturating the AO with evilness that doesn't go away for days. maybe its worth it to you, though.

In my experience, the smell goes away after a week or so, tomato juice or not (or maybe I just got used to it

If I were you I would rent a catch-em alive trap and set it outside of the boundry (and away from anything else). Once you catch a skunk, stay away by about 50 yards and shoot it, then clear the trap a day later and repeat.

That may be a horrible idea though.

Skunks have been horrible this year. Shoot 'em and they'll spray. I'd recommend bringing the dog in at night and putting out a few chocolate bars wherever the skunks are entering your yard. Chocolate is just as poisonous to skunks as it is to dogs.

CB longs man, that is all you need. if you want a few I have some. Just shootem out of rifle. In a pistol they are loud as crap. in a rifle they are quieter than my bb gun.

Or a wrist rocket with some 1/4" ball bearings.

+1 on the wrist rocket, or you could do something like a well placed blow gun dart shot, crossbow, bow and arrow, etc. that is not a firearm, maybe a throwing knife if you happen to be good with it. Lots of options that don't require discharging firearms that can rid you of your varmint problem.

You could also try baiting and trapping them and just relocating them, however moving the cage without getting sprayed would be an interesting challenge.

Skunks can be something fierce when they get mad. I've ran into one while under a crawl space before, that was not a pleasant experience, and I learned I could army crawl at about 5 miles a hour in a pinch lol.

Whatever method you choose, make it humane and discreet as neighbors or others might call you in for animal cruelty without knowing the situation. Good luck my friend.

First of all tecnu the poison oak soap is the only thing that will get rid of skunk smell tomato juice and all these other remedies DONT WORK. Second if you shoot a skunk in the lungs behind the shoulder they DO NOT SPRAY. head shoot one and they spray everywhere. Traps work great get one small enough he cant raise his tail. He will have a harder time spraying if he cant get his tail up. They can still spray with their tail down. Throw an old raincoat or tarp over the trap and a trip to the kiddie pool that is deeper than the trap and problem solved. I am always amazed at the responses I get from people who dont even know proper protocal to dispatching skunks let alone trying to "survive in the wild wild west.

It's true. The trap, cover, trashcan full of water works really well. It's just not as fun as the suppressed .22 through the ear sounds. Damn things are varmints and nuisances. That's why I drop all mine over my The Cheese's house.

Depending on where I choose to apply punctuation I can make this say a number of different things.

Will punctuation help some of my questions?

1) If you buy in quantity, can you get a price break on skunks at BiMart?

2) Why would you want to purchase skunks from BiMart if you find they are already a pest when they are in the wild?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top