JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Despite this being a dead horse beaten to death 20 times over, I seriously thought about posting the same, but chickened out. Several posters before me proved me right.

I thought this forum was set up to serve the NW shooting community, not just a small number of people who logon nearly every night and sometimes appear to not have a life away from their computers (when I say this, I know I indict myself). I wanted to post this information because it could be news, heck, it is news to some people in this forum, and they could / should benefit even from the most basic information. It is accurate sage advise for new CHL holders who join the ranks every day.

I normally post on one out of every 5-10 threads I review. I often do not find anything new, useful or constructive to say, or just do not care to get tangled up in the controversy. The the savvy and well informed of their rights, please, recognize this post for what it is. If you do not have something constructive to say, please, just pass.

Respectfully,
Civilian75

Despite this being a dead horse beaten to death 20 times over, I seriously thought about posting the same, but chickened out. Several posters before me proved me right.

I thought this forum was set up to serve the NW shooting community, not just a small number of people who logon nearly every night and sometimes appear to not have a life away from their computers (when I say this, I know I indict myself). I wanted to post this information because it could be news, heck, it is news to some people in this forum, and they could / should benefit even from the most basic information. It is accurate sage advise for new CHL holders who join the ranks every day.

I normally post on one out of every 5-10 threads I review. I often do not find anything new, useful or constructive to say, or just do not care to get tangled up in the controversy. The the savvy and well informed of their rights, please, recognize this post for what it is. If you do not have something constructive to say, please, just pass.

Respectfully,
Civilian75

I will admit it is difficult to say anything fresh and constructive about a topic that has been covered multiple times. I've seen forums for non-firearm subjects where the poster was chastised to read the faq or search posts.

This opinion is not directed at any of the previous posts. If you are stopped by a Police Officer and you are legally carrying a gun, tell him. If you want to create a problem for yourself, be my guest, get an attitude and see what becomes of it. It behoves all of us to respect Law Enforcement Officers and anything less just creates stress for them any yourself, mostly yourself. On this site, I occasionally read posts that reflect an attitude of " I have a license to carry a gun and and I'm going to be "cocky" about it. That sort of attitude is wrong and paints a bad image for the rest of us that carry to protect our families and possibly others in danger. Usually, life is only as complicated as you care to make it. Ken

I totally agree with you about not getting an attitude, or becoming cocky -- this is the worst thing that people who "knows their rights," often make the mistake of doing. Stay calm, 99% of LEO's I have dealt with are very cordial people who are just trying to do their often thankless job.

Sometimes I do believe it is necessary to have the LEO feel that he is in a honored privileged position, nature dictates that there should be a pack hierarchy, it makes things go easier, let the cop feel superior and let it be done.

In Oregon, as most of us CHL holders know that there is no law, statute, administrative rule or ordinance that requires us to disclose. When I went to the handgun safety course at Multnomah county sheriff, it was suggested by the instructor not to disclose unless asked, then to say something to the affect of, " I have a concealed carry license and I have it on me." I believe he was being intentional with his wording or maybe I just remember it that way.

P.S.: (This is directed at all posts on these forums)
I think a lot of people make the mistake of inflecting attitude on the text they read, while I would like to assume everyone is being neutral when they speak, I am sure that is not the case on the other side of the screen. Still there is no way to know what kind of emotion one is typing into their words ... just a thought I had. :)

Many times out of respect to the officer and to the law.... I have had my ODL and my CHL out the window of my car as the officer approached my vehicle. A few times my firearm was taken away and inspected and the serial number was ran. I don't like to have my firearm taken away but it has been done and I don't care for it. I remember one time when I was pulled over by Beaverton PD, I told the officer that I had a gun on me after I showed him my CHL.... this officer got on his radio and in a firm loud voice stated "he has a gun"! about a minute later, two other officers showed up on the scene and they both approached me with their hands on their guns (one on each side of my car) and were giving me the stink eye. My hands were visible at all times and a smile on my face.
I didn't like how I was treated by the Waffen SS and I will think twice about letting the BPD know I am CCing next time. To be fare, there has been times when the officer(s) were informed and the fact that I showed them respect.... they were very professional and respectful and it was a good experience.

Bottom line is that if I get a good vibe from the officer I will let him/her know.... but I don't have to and I have no problem keeping my mouth shut. If he or she begins to act up after finding out... I will be happy to take his or her info and I will call and talk to his/her Sargent (done it before lol).

Beating a dead horse? Possibly for the people who have been forum trolls on this site forever but this is the first I have seen this posted myself.
I was stopped locally were I live and gave the officer my license with my CHL and the first thig he did was get all nervous and placed his hand on his gun. I had to show both hands and tell him to calm down and this is not the OK Coral.
Sometimes it will bring a negative effect but these guys put there lives on the line everyday and they never know what they are walking into when they come up on a vehicle. Give them a little respect.
You guys that think "you don't have too because you have rights" can go back to you safe job were nobody will ever threaten your life. You are the same person who will never have the balls to put your life on the line for another person. If an LEO ask for a little bit a safety give it to them, there job really sucks, put yourself in there shoes.

You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about, kiddo.

If you don't like wathching dead horses beat, or beating them yourself, can't you just pass on the thread?

Leave the poor dead horse alone and save the time for something you'd rather do.

Mike

I was stopped by one of Portland's finest for talking on a cell phone. I hadn't had my CHL long and had read other threads about this subject. I was undecided as to what to do but thought, "what would I like me to do?" I handed the officer my ODL and CHL at the same time. He asked me if I had my firearm with me where it was and to tell him but don't touch it. I did as instructed. He went to his car and returned very quickly telling me to be safe and not talk on my phone anymore. I got the impression, although he didn't say it, that he appreciated the added show of respect.

This opinion is not directed at any of the previous posts. If you are stopped by a Police Officer and you are legally carrying a gun, tell him. If you want to create a problem for yourself, be my guest, get an attitude and see what becomes of it. It behoves all of us to respect Law Enforcement Officers and anything less just creates stress for them any yourself, mostly yourself. On this site, I occasionally read posts that reflect an attitude of " I have a license to carry a gun and and I'm going to be "cocky" about it. That sort of attitude is wrong and paints a bad image for the rest of us that carry to protect our families and possibly others in danger. Usually, life is only as complicated as you care to make it. Ken

It's none of the cop's business and I have never told them and never had a problem

I have not been a CHL for long, and I have yet to be pulled over since becoming one- but because I don't really trust cops, and want to remove as much chance as possible of some trigger happy knucklehead punching my ticket for no reason- I will hand them my CHL with my license and tell them "Officer, for both our safety, I am a concealed handgun license holder" all the time with both hands on the wheel and both windows rolled down. I will then follow his instructions- because I'm not a criminal and I'd rather not be tazed or perforated over being a jerk. There are plenty of examples of a minority of cops doing what they want and making up whatever story they want to justify it because 99% of the time the judge will believe them over the civilian- I don't plan on being one of these victims. I don't like cops, but I treat them with respect because they have the power to ruin my life. Also, I'm rarely obstinate or a jerk to anyone at all anyway because it just doesn't serve you very well- and I don't want to burn an opportunity to receive a warning rather than a guaranteed ticket because "I'm not required to say anything." I'm not required, but it just seems like I have a far greater potential if I don't say anything until they ask and are now on edge because my license told them I have a CHL, yet I didn't say anything...Why? I can understand their point of view and they likely don't want to be shot any more than I do. Telling them I am carrying and where it is when they ask is not a big deal to me

:s0013:

Uh, I got news for everyone........ A professional cop assumes EVERYONE is armed and couldn't care less if you are a CHL holder or not. Just keep your hands visible, make no sudden moves and everyone will be happy.

Yes, you might have the right to put your hands in your pockets, and make sudden moves, but is that really the healthiest thing to do?

If the officer asks for the registration and the glovebox (which contains the registration) also contains a gun, then for obvious reasons it would be a really good idea to tell the officer. Leave it up to him/her what to do next.

//

Maybe in Oregon. Not in WA.

Yes, your WA CPL is tied to your drivers license. The officer will know when he runs your drivers license....however...in over 40 years I have never been asked for my CPL, even when the officer had approached from the right hand side and could see my pistol on my hip. It is just not relavent to a traffic stop.

I think in the end it is a personal choice. If a police officer asked me if I was carrying, I would tell the truth. Would I volunteer that information? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends on the vibe I get from the officer. If the officer were to ask for my gun, that's a different story. He has no reason to take it and if he ran the serial number, he just violated my constitutional rights. I would not take that lightly at all.

I have seen a similar thread but id rather have a revisited topic than no threads at all. Plus I don't remember everything I read. Id be interested to hear more of the personal stories and what your experiences have been.

I have seen a similar thread but id rather have a revisited topic than no threads at all. Plus I don't remember everything I read. Id be interested to hear more of the personal stories and what your experiences have been.

Been pulled over a few times for speeding and never been given a hard time or even a mention for having a CPL. One Stater even let me go home unscathed with my brand new hotrod the day it was delivered too late to register it, and I just had to take a neighborhood spin with a buddy

I always give cops a hard time, I drove a car that was a cop magnet, eventually the constant harassment and going out on a leisurely Sunday drive in it just to come back home with a $250 traffic citation, caused me to really not like cops. Now if I felt it was a legit reason I.E. I consciously broke the law and got caught doing so, and not some petty bs I wouldn't give him a hard time, but, for example, say if he said "Can we search this car?" I would reply "No...Don't worry, Ill wait while you get a warrant." Hence challenging him to see how far he wanted to take this pull-over situation, if he was gonna waste my time over some bs like the car Im driving, I may as well see how much time I can occupy of the officers and I was well within my legal bounds to do this.

Its unfortunate that my major is Criminal Justice and I dont like cops, go figure? I often have police officers in my classrooms, but as soon as a cop is interrogating me or investigating me, I have to go into a mode where I keep logged in my head "This guy can, and wants to, really screw me over right now."

You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about, kiddo.

Sorry Recap did I call you out? Or did some cop save your ***. Sorry, not a "kiddo" and probably old enough for you to call me Daddy.
I do have a clue and some family that are in law enforcement that have taken one for some worthless strangesr so don't tell me about clues.

:s0013:

Uh, I got news for everyone........ A professional cop assumes EVERYONE is armed and couldn't care less if you are a CHL holder or not. Just keep your hands visible, make no sudden moves and everyone will be happy.

Yes, you might have the right to put your hands in your pockets, and make sudden moves, but is that really the healthiest thing to do?

If the officer asks for the registration and the glovebox (which contains the registration) also contains a gun, then for obvious reasons it would be a really good idea to tell the officer. Leave it up to him/her what to do next.

//

Good Point!

ok, here's the thing, the whole "its the snake you don't see that bites you" issue, if you have a CHL and the officer knows you have it you telling him is redundant, but if he asks then you should speak up... I must look mean I get asked all the time before I had a permit when they had no reason to ask... my point is most officers are not worried about a guy they know has been checked out and cleared to have a weapon. speaking up and letting him know before he asks is just a courtesy. But reaching for your wallet when you have a gun on your hip above it... might be taken wrong. And for all of you that are "I don't have to say by law"
What are you hiding, or why are you hiding? Do you fear harassment? And what could you have done to make an officer feel that you need to be disarmed? I mean I have been stopped on a motorcycle , with a gun on me in a holstered over my wallet, I pulled to the side , shut off the bike removed my helmet, and put my hands back on the bars.. the LEO walked up and said" do you know how fast you were going.. I said not exactly... he said do you know your gun is showing I said well when I lean forward my jacket rides up.. he said your supposed to keep it concealed. can you reach your wallet with it in place? good ! licence and registration and insurance!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top