JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There has been much debate on this forum on the subject of to advise or not advise the officer stopping you that you have a CHL and are carring a weapon. We all know the law in Oregon does not require you to do so. This months newsletter from the Washington County Sheriff's Department addressed this. Since I respect and support our LEO, I will follow their recommendation.

Here is the article from the Newsletter.

"Disclosing Your Concealed Weapon During a Traffic Stop

During a traffic stop, how would deputies like a CHL holder to advise them they are carrying a weapon?

When the deputy approaches your vehicle, simply introduce yourself and tell them that you are a concealed handgun license holder and that you have your weapon with you. (You can also present your CHL with your identification.) It is helpful to tell the deputy where the gun is, but do not to pull the weapon out unless you are asked or directed to do so.

While none of this is a legal requirement, this is how our deputies would like motorists to respond to avoid surprises and to ensure the safety of everyone involved."

It is interesting that the OP quoted some newsletter, telling him how to behave because to is what the cops like.
If I send him a newsletter telling him to give me all his firearms, because I like that, would he also do what I say?

Stop drinking the kool-aid pal.

This is a great crowd isn't it!?

I love this community :s0155:

Meh -- my biggest qualm about disclosing is the tendency for the LEO to disarm a person, for their safety; what about my safety, I don't get to ask the LEO to disarm himself for my own safety since he disarmed me.

Not that I expected some kind of harm from the LEO, but from an outside source perhaps? It's probably a 1 in a hundred million chance that I would need my weapon while being disarmed for a LEO's safety, but someone wins the mega millions every time right?

The cop knows if you are a holder the minute he runs ur registration. Some of them don't bother and some will ask you.

I wonder what happens when my wife drives the car and doesn't have a CHL; or my father, brother, sister, cousin, friend is driving my car and they don't have a CHL? I guess the LEO will automatically assume until they figure out the driver is not the registered owner.

I guess I just answered my own question, never mind -- move along

This is a great crowd isn't it!?

I love this community :s0155:

Meh -- my biggest qualm about disclosing is the tendency for the LEO to disarm a person, for their safety; what about my safety, I don't get to ask the LEO to disarm himself for my own safety since he disarmed me.

Not that I expected some kind of harm from the LEO, but from an outside source perhaps? It's probably a 1 in a hundred million chance that I would need my weapon while being disarmed for a LEO's safety, but someone wins the mega millions every time right?

+20

I would just tell the officer I carry heat and show ID with driver license. That way we both are comfortable, no surprise. ;)

I don't see the big issue with that at all.

This opinion is not directed at any of the previous posts. If you are stopped by a Police Officer and you are legally carrying a gun, tell him. If you want to create a problem for yourself, be my guest, get an attitude and see what becomes of it. It behoves all of us to respect Law Enforcement Officers and anything less just creates stress for them any yourself, mostly yourself. On this site, I occasionally read posts that reflect an attitude of " I have a license to carry a gun and and I'm going to be "cocky" about it. That sort of attitude is wrong and paints a bad image for the rest of us that carry to protect our families and possibly others in danger. Usually, life is only as complicated as you care to make it. Ken

This opinion is not directed at any of the previous posts. If you are stopped by a Police Officer and you are legally carrying a gun, tell him. If you want to create a problem for yourself, be my guest, get an attitude and see what becomes of it.

Very noticeable price increase on your ticket. :s0112:

You have the right to remain silent. Use it.

Be polite and courteous and do not lie.

I would respond truthfully and politely if asked by a LEO, but unless legally required, I will not volunteer information.

Ive been stopped a few times with my CHL and weapon on me, I will tell the officer everytime that I am a CHL holder and carrying. The 3 times ive been stopped the officer has told me several times "hey thanks for telling me you have your weapon on you". I have nothing to hide and it shows the officer that too, my opinion.

I have a gun, im legally allowed to carry said gun, I have no problem telling the officer that, and all 3 times ive been let go with a warning and a "thanks again for telling me you are carrying"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top