JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

I thought this was going to be about fire risk lol

Whenever the attendants are holding up the lines at the pump, playing with their phones and/or walking around real slow, I do it myself... most of them don't complain. Some of them get real uppity. Very few are working hard at it to keep things moving.

The law is ridiculous because I am allowed to fuel up my motorcycle myself, but not a vehicle... unless it's diesel. In other, perhaps saner, parts of the state there are no attendants and I can fuel up any time I need. Or... we just go anywhere outside of the state.

-Robert

I thought this was going to be about fire risk lol

Whenever the attendants are holding up the lines at the pump, playing with their phones and/or walking around real slow, I do it myself... most of them don't complain. Some of them get real uppity. Very few are working hard at it to keep things moving.

The law is ridiculous because I am allowed to fuel up my motorcycle myself, but not a vehicle... unless it's diesel. In other, perhaps saner, parts of the state there are no attendants and I can fuel up any time I need. Or... we just go anywhere outside of the state.

-Robert
I had forgotten that stupid law there. Man it must really be fun now that employers are having so much trouble finding people. I can just see how a lot of the workers must be acting now that they have the employers over a barrel.

In the first place......
Wasn't the law intended to protect the buyer of fuel from the fumes and such. Because, we aren't trained nor have safety equipment. And thus, it could be hazardous.

But now......
Yeah......go ahead and fill your own tank. OR no longer cares about YOU.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....YES, it could also be said that it was in an effort to create more jobs. Rrrrright.....

Last Edited:
It is time to get rid of this stupid law.

We are one of only two states that mandate this, and in Oregon's case to keep felons employed. In New Jersey's case.... well that is self explanatory.

And if you have a regular gas station, you will notice the pump monkey turns over quite often. So what is the point?

It is time to get rid of this stupid law.

We are one of only two states that mandate this, and in Oregon's case to keep felons employed. In New Jersey's case.... well that is self explanatory.

And if you have a regular gas station, you will notice the pump monkey turns over quite often. So what is the point?
Feelgood leftists get to potato.

Well, the actions of the government are the actions of the government. There is no necessity that any of it makes a bit of sense and often it makes no sense.

Attendant pumped fuel is OK with me. No real complaint about it. Keeps people employed. They don't make enough to buy crack and it keeps them occupied so they're not kicking in my door robbing to get money to buy crack.

I've lived a life of privilege. I'm originally from Jersey so I've had people pump my fuel all my life. I haven't had a decent pizza in 50+ years...sigh...

I don't mind pumping my own diesel. I often prefer it. I don't want anyone filling my bike tank or the deck mounted filler on the TR6.

That said, sometimes I let the staff fill my diesel tanks.

I get the warm fuzzies knowing the gub'ment has my best interest foremost in their thoughts.

Last Edited:
Can someone explain why hot weather has anything to do with pumping gas? I just don't get it.
One would presume this:

It's apparently for the concern of the attendants working outside in the heat.

It is hot... but... it's summer, and there are plenty of more labor intensive jobs that are susceptible to dehydration etc as @ma96782 points out. However, the OSFM doesn't have control over most of those jobs.

-Robert

The heat is a concern to more than just the Gas Pump workers. Anyway, this might help to explain things.....

Aloha, Mark
Yeah, if I hadn't got that emergency message on the phone yesterday, about the high temperatures, I might have gone out bundled up in cold weather gear, wrapped myself in black visqueen and laid in the sun for 7hours.
I'm glad our leaders in Oregon are watching out for all of us.

One would presume this:

It's apparently for the concern of the attendants working outside in the heat.

It is hot... but... it's summer, and there are plenty of more labor intensive jobs that are susceptible to dehydration etc as @ma96782 points out. However, the OSFM doesn't have control over most of those jobs.

-Robert
Thanks for the answer and the video!

My gripe, I don't use credit cards, debit cards much. I pull into a gas station and am told to pay before they'll turn the pump on. I don't know how I'll take to fill, so I just get, say 8 dollars worth and ride off with a 3/4 full tank.

I've had that happen in Washington and California and 1 station down by I-5 at Broadway in Portland.

My gripe, I don't use credit cards, debit cards much. I pull into a gas station and am told to pay before they'll turn the pump on. I don't know how I'll take to fill, so I just get, say 8 dollars worth and ride off with a 3/4 full tank.

I've had that happen in Washington and California and 1 station down by I-5 at Broadway in Portland.
I don't used a credit card either. I us a US Bank checking/debit card. I use that for all purchases over $5.00-$10.00 I don't use places that make you pay before pumping. There's a station near me that requires you to lay down the estimated cash/provide debit card and debit estimated $ amount. That's a no-go. I'll pay the extra .10/gal somewhere else. There's plenty of stations that start pumping as you walk into the store, or have the card reader in the pump.

I have not seen a place that let you pump first in decades here. The reason they will not is pretty easy to see. Too many fill up and drive off. Then who gets to pay?
Last time I was in AZ I was surprised to see the pumps did not have card readers at most places, had to go in to pay. I was still using a card but have to guess I could have left them some cash and they would let me fill up? So I would have to guess the places would do that here? PITA to have to walk in twice but, that's why I just pay the extra per gal to not. For me it's less than a $1 normally. If it was multiple bucks I guess I would walk in with cash and give them enough to cover it and then walk back for change. It would have to be enough to be worth it to me though.

In the first place......
Wasn't the law intended to protect the buyer of fuel from the fumes and such. Because, we aren't trained nor have safety equipment. And thus, it could be hazardous.
No, 'fraid not. The point of the law has been to preserve an abundance of dead-end. low paying jobs. Because that's how Oregonians think. A crappy job is better than no job. And most of them don't understand economics. They can't fathom that if the premium they pay for gas to provide those crappy jobs were allowed to find its way into the economy in a free market, the return would provide greater opportunities for the population.

Last Edited:
Gas pump card readers is a favorite place to put card skimmers. The victim has no training to identify them, and the perps install and service them when the station is closed. Being outside, they still have access.

Or a person could just pay attention to where they're sticking their damned card? Check the hole before you stick it in. I think most of us should have learned that rule many, many years ago. Jus' sayin"

Wife was from Portland. I was stationed at Ft Lewis. Stopped into the gas station at the bottom of Bull Mountain Rd in Tigard. I pumped my own gas. Kid walks up. "You can't pump your own gas". I replied, "I just did". I was like WTF? Then he told me the law. Asinine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top