JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a question about CHL classes. My wife is looking for an affordable class in the Portland metro area. I took mine at Sportsman's warehouse in 2010 and it was $35. Everywhere we look classes are $80+. And some don't include Utah, which we don't really care about. I'm just looking for the cheapest class possible to fill the requirement. After she has the license is when the real training will start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

We did. Keith's didn't answer, surprise surprise, and NW is $95. Although the NW class is OR and UT. But she doesn't want Utah and didn't want to shell out the cash for it now.

We did. Keith's didn't answer, surprise surprise, and NW is $95. Although the NW class is OR and UT. But she doesn't want Utah and didn't want to shell out the cash for it now.

We just took a five hour Oregon and Utah class on Sunday which was $85 for one person or $140 for two which was a bargain. The Utah non-resident permit is good in 31 states including Washington so it is well worth it.

Have her go in to the Sheriff's office and make the interview appointment NOW then find a class, because they are booked for MONTHS. I was first in line this morning and our appointment is not until late August.

Blackstone Gun Safety for $35 (Oregon Only). They are the ones who do the NW Armory classes. They ran out of room and are now doing it at the Milwaukie Elks Lodge (Sundays) and on Saturdays they do the Beaverton Double Tree. They also have some coming up in Forest Grove and others.

<broken link removed>

Click on the class date and it will show you the prices. They are great (my wife and I went through them and my mother-in-law will be soon).

Last Edited:
State of Maryland offers a free course that you can take online tonight...

MD Firearms Safety Training

It meets the training requirements defined in the law and others on the have reported no problems with it in Clackamas county. Not sure if anyone here has used it in Multnomah.
I, personally, would like an actual person of whom I can ask questions but that is my learning style. Others might find the online quite sufficient but I know that not all states have the same law when it comes to what you can and can't do and what some of the gray areas are. Having the in person training from someone who knows Oregon law is beneficial, at least from my view point and is worth the $35 to avoid missing something which could land you in prison. But that's just my opinion.

I, personally, would like an actual person of whom I can ask questions but that is my learning style. Others might find the online quite sufficient but I know that not all states have the same law when it comes to what you can and can't do and what some of the gray areas are. Having the in person training from someone who knows Oregon law is beneficial, at least from my view point and is worth the $35 to avoid missing something which could land you in prison. But that's just my opinion.

Seconded. Our instructor said that you can take a one hour online course for Oregon, but it is not recommended.

Jarhead0093 the five hour course my wife and I took covered many "What ifs" and had examples to keep you in the law. That is well worth the extra $50.

Thanks all. The reason I don't care about the class that much is we are signed up for MAG40 with Massad Ayoob later this year. I've taken this before and Combat Focus Shooting. We both have taken classes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle already. She knows the legal aspect for the most part.
What I didn't know was how backed up they were. I'll have her make an appointment tonight.

They are great up there. They have a handgun safety seminar that we took a while back. $50 and 8 hours of class with range time. Had about 25 students. 6 instructors. Good ratio. So far that has been my favorite place to train

She did take a class at Advanced Firearms Training in Gresham. Sounds like they did a good job. They even do an interactive video scenario with a laser gun. Pretty cool. My biggest complaint was the salesman bullsh** they pulled. My wife and 80 year old grandmother were taking the class. My grandma showed up earlier and paid for it all. Well they talked her into an Arizona permit. Because my grandma said she travels to WA regularly. They told her the AZ permit covers more states than OR. Which is true. But it doesn't cover WA. And she didn't know that. So a wasted $50 went to them. That pissed me off that they took advantage of her. But what can you do. I would not recommend them after all.

You can still do Oregon on line.At least until the denate votes on the gun bills.D o search ther is at 3 you can use.

Oregon Concealed Weapons Permit Class
I took an online course that cost $10. Don't have the website info with me but it's run by Phillip Peake, an NRA instructor from Newberg.
I wouldn't recommend anyone new to guns to do an online course, but if you just need the certificate saying you took a gun safety course, it's great.

So I have a question about CHL classes. My wife is looking for an affordable class in the Portland metro area. I took mine at Sportsman's warehouse in 2010 and it was $35. Everywhere we look classes are $80+. And some don't include Utah, which we don't really care about. I'm just looking for the cheapest class possible to fill the requirement. After she has the license is when the real training will start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
go with the online course then.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads