JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious: whats with the character reference section in the Multnomah county chl application? How serious is this part? Do they have to be OR residents? CHL holders themselves?

Thanks for any insight,

-b

I got mine in Multnomah many years ago. So far I've never needed a reference. I didn't even have to give them a letter from my employer like they used to require. Since I have a business license that part was easy.

The law in Oregon does not contain a requirement to give character references. The inclusion of these on the CHL application seems to be contrary to the law. However, the "sample" form in the ORS does show a character reference on the form. I don't know what would happen if you left that blank, and if asked to provide it, you showed them the law that enumerates the required information to apply for a CHL (which does not include character references).

166.291¹
Issuance of concealed handgun license.

Before the sheriff may issue a license:
(a) The application must state the applicant's legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant's residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

The law does not require that a person be of "good character" in order to get a CHL. (They gave ME one !!!) It only requires that you meet the age, lack of convictions, and other objective criteria -- not some subjective "good character" criteria.

Instead of asking the opinion of a bunch of strangers on the internet, I actually asked the clerk when I was filling out the application nine years ago. She said the references you list are not for the sheriff to contact to decide if you get the license, but for the sheriff to contact if they need to find you after you get your license. In all those years none of my references have been contacted.

Instead of asking the opinion of a bunch of strangers on the internet, I actually asked the clerk when I was filling out the application nine years ago. She said the references you list are not for the sheriff to contact to decide if you get the license, but for the sheriff to contact if they need to find you after you get your license. In all those years none of my references have been contacted.

In Washington County, I know of at least one case where the Sheriff's office did in fact contact references prior to issuing a permit. So be aware that if you give this information, they can use it as they please. It may differ from one county to the next.

Thank you all! I have been stalling on taking the app in, this section is the only part not filled out ha ha. Ill ask myself when i go in and post their answer here on the off chance someone in the future actually uses the search function. . . .

Sorry to bump an old thread. I too was wondering this because I'm transferring to Multnomah from Washington Co. Not sure how your thing ever turned out, but apparently this was asked and answered by the Oregon Circuit Court of appeals back in 2002.

Short answer: They can require the Character Reference information. If you do not provide it they can refuse your application as incomplete and are under no obligation to issue you your CHL.

Long Answer: Oregon Judicial Department - Publications

In Columbia County both of my references were contacted by form letter and asked if they thought there was any reason I should not be issued a CHL.

In Columbia County both of my references were contacted by form letter and asked if they thought there was any reason I should not be issued a CHL.

I can absolutely confirm Columbia County did this to me as well for my non resident. Surprised the hell out of me. Required them to answer the questions on the form and mail it back to them.

The wife and I put down people who we shoot with, a different two for each of us, and one who lives Washington state. None were contacted. Still took 206 days to get our permits.

The wife and I put down people who we shoot with, a different two for each of us, and one who lives Washington state. None were contacted. Still took 206 days to get our permits.

I hope it doesn't take that long for a renewal, mine is up in April.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top