JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking on another forum...and found a thread about super light weight ARs. Now I'm on the hunt for light weight build options...

I'm aware of the Balios light receivers made by 2A armament - they look sweet, AND expensive.
I just became aware of San Tan tactical - Has anyone seen these receivers and uppers in person? Care to comment on weight and costs?

I already have a nice DD light weight 16" barrel, 13" BCM KMR (my god it's light), and I'll be looking at light weight carriers...when I can stomach the prices for titanium parts!!

Anyway - what have you got??

I just got the Noveske skinny carbine. It is about 6.3 pounds i believe and a shorter barrel. With the pinned flash suppressor the barrel is at 16". the other barrels are 16" and then ad the length of the flash hider and you are about 17". Shorter barrel and almost 2 pounds lighter then most any other AR with a 16" barrel

I would just go for a new frontier or plumb crazy lower. They are cheap, light, and have a lifetime warranty.

Here is a pretty decent lightweight ar build that I made a while back. It was under 6lbs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ver-stripped-ar-15-low-profile-flat-top-matte $90

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_LW_15_Complete_Poly_Lower_p/nfa-lw15blk.htm $150

<broken link removed> $130

<broken link removed> $50

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/MI-7-inch-Gen2-SS-Series-One-Piece-Free-Float-Han-p/mi-ss7g2.htm $140

<broken link removed> $15

Noveske skinny carbine? I'll have to look that up!!!

I'll pass on the poly lowers - I've had a few and do not like them!!

I have not shot one extensively, but I have shot them and they go bang every time. Just out of curiosity, what did you not like?

The trigger was pretty stiff on it but you can always switch that out with any ar trigger.

I have had a poly lower fail, the buffer tube socket snapping off after only just a few rounds. I have heard of several other poly lowers failing as well with very little use or abuse.

Light weight seems like a great thing but I wont buy another poly lower. One bad experience is enough for me. Maybe there are good ones out there but to me its simply not worth the risk (the risk being your rifle turning into a pile of useless parts when you need it the most)

I cant believe there is enough difference in weight between Titanium and aluminum to justify the added expense but that sounds interesting. A Ti lower would be indestructible and the cool guy factor would be epic.

Put together a truck gun a couple of years ago. Cavalry Arms lower, pencil barrel, rifle length
handguard, Weaver V3 scope. Touch over 6 lbs. Could go light carrier and carbon fiber
handguard ---probably get it under 6.

If a Balios lite is too expensive, you probably shouldn't be looking at Noveske either.
Spikes Tactical also has a new lightweight lower available.
But to be honest, the Balios light upper/lower combo with a Balios/Spikes/Seekins lightweight BCG, and you've got the makings of a very light firearm.
There are some pretty light hand guard/rails available, just add the pencil barrel of your choosing and your set.

i just wanted to make sure i knew all of my options before dropping 500-600 on a receiver set that performs the same function as a $110 set!

I was just told that 311 tactical in vancouver has 2 San Tan receiver sets in stock! I have to go check these out before they're snatched up! It would be awesome to compare them side by side with a Balios set!!!

I would put my money other places before paying a extra 4-500.00 to save 2 ounces on a part of the gun that makes the least weight difference.

Think barrel, stock, BCG, and HG.

The Balios sure are sick looking but way too much money for my practical mind.

A close friend of mine has been down this road to a obsessive clinical level, Talking about all titanium tidbits and talking a barrel maker in to turning a pencil barrel down even more, I had to ask him if he was that much of a pussy or just on the same ultra light weight conquest AR build that flood the internet on a regular basis... I think he has started thinking smarter rather than just lighter, This advice is universal.

My obvious advice here... Build a sweet lightweight quick handling AR that doesn't scream "I'm a sucker to marketing" or make you sick to your stomach when you Talley up the build cost.

Great advice...I appreciate good marketing...and I'm a sucker too. The thread over at arfcom with the balios build is a textbook how-to launch a product into an online forum. Well done and not blatant. It hooked me and I will do a light weight high end build (for fun) and a light 308 for hunting!

I may go with the San Tan set over at 311 tactical over the Balios - just because I can see it in person before I buy!

What is interesting is that the ar15/M16 started out as a 6 [ish] pound rifle and over the years has been beefed up to become more durable in the toughest operating conditions. Well,, The M4 A1 is sporting a heavier barrel for better accuracy during heavy use.

No one has mentioned magnesium lowers. I saw a couple at jb gun sales in Beaverton(across from bimart) recently. They where under $200 and were considerably lighter than a aluminum reciever.

And yes bolts have different weights and a coupke of them are much lighter than normal...aluminum if you are brave but chromoly with a sleeve is pretty light.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top