JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values. Find out what each item is worth before you list it, consign it or let it go to auction. You have a lot of work cut out for you either way unless you are okay with not making top or even decent dollar off them.

My father passed away about a year and a half ago and left behind a large-ish collection of firearms (150 or so). My brother and I have inventoried and secured the guns and I think we want to keep a few but certainly not all of them. I started to do some research on pricing them out and selling them off but it's overwhelming. I'm not familiar enough with many of them to even coming close to figuring out what the values should be and even if I was it's going to take forever to sell that many in WA with the way our person to person transfers work now. What do people do in this situation? Take to a FFL? Just power through it and hope for the best? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
I'd divide them out into categories and put one post per each category in the classifieds here.

I guess I don't mind posting 5 or 10 at a time but I almost need someone to look at the list and say "sell these ones first", and then these ones. etc. There are a bunch of old Colt pistols and a large amount of revolvers that I simply know nothing about. Things like Mod 19-2 or 19-4 don't mean anything to me. This would have been easy if dad just collected Glocks and 1911s.
Pm me my firearms knowledge is mostly in handguns/revolver,but I'd be willing to help you out.

anything in decent shape that is Colt, S&W or Winchester is always worth something. We are more than happy to tell you what you have if you post some clear pictures of each piece. The blue book of gun values is what a gun shop will pull out so they can low ball you, the value of guns varies by geographic location, for instance in CA right now people are getting $1200 for used glocks that would go for $500 in Oregon.

Sell them on Gunbroker. Which is a true auction site. They will bring what the highest bidder is willing to pay on a national market. Set up an arrangement with a local FFL dealer for the shipping end of it. You can legally ship long guns yourself but may not want to pack them. A dealer will do this for a price. What with the GB commish and the FFL dealer fees, you will still come out way ahead. Rather than trying to come up with arbitrary fixed prices. That may be arrived at by various conflicted interests.

My father passed away about a year and a half ago and left behind a large-ish collection of firearms (150 or so). My brother and I have inventoried and secured the guns and I think we want to keep a few but certainly not all of them. I started to do some research on pricing them out and selling them off but it's overwhelming. I'm not familiar enough with many of them to even coming close to figuring out what the values should be and even if I was it's going to take forever to sell that many in WA with the way our person to person transfers work now. What do people do in this situation? Take to a FFL? Just power through it and hope for the best? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Gun stores will generally lowball you into the dirt. Personally, I'd take a few photos of each one, and record the make, model and caliber of each one and list them for sale on online forums. It will take more time (including the meeting up to sell) but the return will be significantly more. Listing them on a place like Gunbroker will also give them a wider audience.

If they are minty collectables than I would contact the #1 online dealer "Jack the Dog" who is located in Hillsboro Oregon.

His auctions generate 25% or more cash then any other seller online. He only deals in top quality firearms, so if your Dad's collection is in that range, I would definitely get in touch with him.

I'd look in the blue book of gun values to get a reference point, then look for like guns on gun broker to see what they actually sell for. From there you can consign them with a trusted gun dealer knowing they will want a percentage. You also can rent a table or two at a gun show and sell them yourself but you'll have to deal with the background check stuff. Main thing is to find out what you've got and what they are worth. There are a lot of low ballers out there looking to pay pennies on the dollar. Pawn shops come to mind.

OP; fully understand the "penny auction" perameters.
A FFL that is willing to ship and handle the sale on gun broker is a value to consider paying a fee for...

Any Colt detective specials 3rd edition ? My Colt collection was sold long ago but I still wish I had the Python, Viper, and several others. Prices on Colt pistols have increased ....

Gmerkt beat me to it, but auctions on Gunbroker seem like a good way to go. There's a large enough viewership that by and large, you will get a fair price on the items, without having to research each one. Lots of individual listings to do, and shipping with an ffl you set up a deal with. My selfish side hopes you will post the revolvers here, or at least pictures of them so we can dream. My condolences on your loss.

That's the Colt pistol section... but don't get too excited as I am keeping the Combat Commander (Dad actually gave that one to me. We both loved 1911s) and one of the detective specials. I think we have a 1st and a 3rd mod version. I'm a big Colt fan too so the National Match or Gold Cup will prob stay in the family. Just so the mods know.. This isn't a for sale or looking for offers but just giving an idea of the stuff I have. Maybe I will start with some of these in the for sale section this weekend. Thanks for all the advice. Really really appreciate it.

COLTWOODSMAN 1ST MOD
COLTDEFENDER
COLTSERIES 70 MARK 4
COLTCOMBAT COMMANDER
COLTDELTA ELITE
COLTDETECTIVE SPECIAL
COLTDETECTIVE SPECIAL
COLTWOODSMAN 3RD MODEL
COLTOFFICERS MODEL
COLT1903 POCKET
COLT2ND MOD.MATCH WOODSMAN TARGET
COLT1ST MOD.WOODSMAN SPORT
COLT2MND MOD WOODSMAN SPORT 4 1/2"
COLTNM
COLTGOLD CUP
COLT1908 POCKET MOD
COLTCOMBAT CMDR 38 SUPER & 9 MM
COLTWOODSMAN 1ST MOD TARGET
COLTCOBRA MOD. D SC2BB
COLTMUSTANG POCKETLIGHT
COLTPRE-WOODSMAN PENCIL BARREL

That's the Colt pistol section... but don't get too excited as I am keeping the Combat Commander (Dad actually gave that one to me. We both loved 1911s) and one of the detective specials. I think we have a 1st and a 3rd mod version. I'm a big Colt fan too so the National Match or Gold Cup will prob stay in the family. Just so the mods know.. This isn't a for sale or looking for offers but just giving an idea of the stuff I have. Maybe I will start with some of these in the for sale section this weekend. Thanks for all the advice. Really really appreciate it.

COLTWOODSMAN 1ST MOD
COLTDEFENDER
COLTSERIES 70 MARK 4
COLTCOMBAT COMMANDER
COLTDELTA ELITE
COLTDETECTIVE SPECIAL
COLTDETECTIVE SPECIAL
COLTWOODSMAN 3RD MODEL
COLTOFFICERS MODEL
COLT1903 POCKET
COLT2ND MOD.MATCH WOODSMAN TARGET
COLT1ST MOD.WOODSMAN SPORT
COLT2MND MOD WOODSMAN SPORT 4 1/2"
COLTNM
COLTGOLD CUP
COLT1908 POCKET MOD
COLTCOMBAT CMDR 38 SUPER & 9 MM
COLTWOODSMAN 1ST MOD TARGET
COLTCOBRA MOD. D SC2BB
COLTMUSTANG POCKETLIGHT
COLTPRE-WOODSMAN PENCIL BARREL

Those Woodsman's if in 80-90% are worth some pretty good cash. That's all I have on the list so.....

Quick way to figure a price is to set up on GunBroker. Go to the "items sold" section. Type in make/model in quotes ( "Smith 29-2" ) and scroll through the ones that were sold. This will give a good idea of what prices are "worldwide" (mainly across the US). Good luck getting that price here/locally though.

If it is "desirable" such as a mint/excellent with box, papers, etc. Stay firm on a price that is acceptable to you. Lots of lowballers here.

Whatever you do, don't take them all someplace and sell them. They will usually only give $0.25 (or so) on the dollar for them. And they will try and make you feel lucky to get that.

My advice.... be patient and price each fairly. You'll get the most for them that way. Don't "give" them away just to get rid of them. Sometimes posting on GunBroker and going through the process of shipping them them is well worth the minimal time and effort on your part.

Good luck with whatever route you and your brother chose to take.

(Got any AMT or Auto Mag's? Maybe a brushed nickel Desert Eagle in 44 and 357?) ;)

By the way my condolences to you and your family.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top