JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So if 240gr has been established as "about right" in 44 and 250-255gr in 45, how does this scale up to the 500 mag? Is there an optimal or standard bullet weight for the 500? I haven't really heard of one. I tried some math that I thought might be right, I'm probably wrong, but it figures out to about 300gr.

My reason for asking is that I'm looking for some inexpensive coated bullets to load for plinkers and hotter for potential hunting (of paper and cans mostly). I bought a Lee mold for a 440gr and coated them myself and installed a gas check. It's more work than I want to do on a regular basis. Also, throwing 1oz chunks of lead is entertaining but probably unnecessary.

Bryan

With the large magnums like this, my impression is that the standard depends on what you are using the load for.

I have some hot 275 and 300 grain loads for .44 magnum that are meant for dangerous animals and some self-defense loads that are 165 and 185 grain loads - so while 240 grain is very common, I wouldn't necessarily call it standard.

Ha ha, carried it where? The 5 rounds in the gun probably weighs as much as my carry gun.

Bryan

7000 grains in a pound.

Five 700 grain loads would be a little over 8 ounces. That is a pretty light carry gun.

I occasionally shoot my 460V (.460 mag) and my 329 (44 mag). The latter is by almost the worse recoiling handgun I have ever shot, the 460V is mild by comparison.

The worst I have ever shot was a Grendel P10 .380 - it bruised my hand.

Well 5x700gr bullets is exactly 8oz, but there is 5x cases, primers, and powder charges too. I'm sure I'm exaggerating a little but I've been carrying my P365 lately and it's barely over a lb.

What do you think made the P10 so bad? Really worse than a 329? I haven't shot a 329 but my 69 snub is pretty snappy.

Bryan

Well 5x700gr bullets is exactly 8oz, but there is 5x cases, primers, and powder charges too. I'm sure I'm exaggerating a little but I've been carrying my P365 lately and it's barely over a lb.

What do you think made the P10 so bad? Really worse than a 329? I haven't shot a 329 but my 69 snub is pretty snappy.

Bryan

It weighed only 14 ounces and the grip was bad. Then there was the trigger - this horrible windup flat coil spring inside that made the trigger the worst I ever shot. I hated it and have held a bias against Kel-Tec products ever since.

I have had my 329 draw blood, but not bruise. It leaves my hand stinging and numb - especially with the heavy loads - even the 165 grain defense loads sting a bit. I haven't tried real light loads, but I did shoot .44 Specials in it. By comparison, the 460V with the comp and twice the weight - you know you've shot a magnum, but it is quite manageable. I need to try the 329 with the grips from the 460V - they are supposed to be softer and better.

@FordPrefect has one o' them "Bad Boy" S&W 500s. I believe last time I saw him at a clean-up he was shooting some 700gr monsters. I tell ya', that's one big hunk o' lead, even in the big piece of brass.

I do have a 700 grain load. I got the bullets from Matts Bullets. Using 24 grains of H110, here is a pic of the loaded round with the bullet next to it.
500WFN-GC[1].jpg

So if 240gr has been established as "about right" in 44 and 250-255gr in 45, how does this scale up to the 500 mag? Is there an optimal or standard bullet weight for the 500? I haven't really heard of one. I tried some math that I thought might be right, I'm probably wrong, but it figures out to about 300gr.

My reason for asking is that I'm looking for some inexpensive coated bullets to load for plinkers and hotter for potential hunting (of paper and cans mostly). I bought a Lee mold for a 440gr and coated them myself and installed a gas check. It's more work than I want to do on a regular basis. Also, throwing 1oz chunks of lead is entertaining but probably unnecessary.

Bryan

My standard load for my 500 magnum is a 350 Grain bullet from Barry's. With the load I have for them, I can pretty much plink them all day long with no problems.

Here's my load data for it:
Powder: IMR4227 - 45 Grains
Winchester Large Rifle Primers
COL 2.086"

I don't have the velocity information as the chronograph we were using at the time was a bit wonky. That was the load I felt the most comfortable shooting and it's the max load from the Speer book for a similar bullet.
350RSBerrys[1].jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads