JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
opplanet-tulammo-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-full-metal-jacket-steel-case-50-rounds-ta91915...jpg
If you want to place an order for 9mm ammo, Optics Planet is taking orders with a 2-8 month delay.
I placed an order for 10 boxes of Tula 9mm steel cased ammo ~ 24 cents per round. It was listed as a 2-5 month delay.
A few minutes after the order I received an email stating the delay would be 5-8 months.

I checked my credit card and it showed a charge then a credit.

Not ideal but might work for some. They are being upfront about delay in filling the order.

Considering Optics Planet is notorious for selling stuff they don't have, I wouldn't ever order anything from them on backorder or with any promises.

They'll lure you in with a low price and then ship when inventory comes in that matches that pricing.

Considering Optics Planet is notorious for selling stuff they don't have, I wouldn't ever order anything from them on backorder or with any promises.

They'll lure you in with a low price and then ship when inventory comes in that matches that pricing.
I can understand the concern. I'll consider this a "lottery ticket" that hasn't cost me anything yet but will need to keep an eye on my card for any charges.

I ordered a upper receiver from them August 2, said in stock. Then when I placed the order, it said not in stock, will ship in 2 weeks, 4 weeks later, I called. and on the phone, they told me they were expecting the shipment Sept 20. I called again on Thursday, and was told they were going to get it in on Nov 27. I cancelled my order, and am wondering how long its going to take to get my refund :confused:

I have ordered from OpticsPlanet heavily, returned items, exchanged items, cancelled orders and talked to their customer service on a couple occasions when I needed something ASAP and have never had a single issue. Like many retailers since March, they take backorders, but ETAs are just that, estimated based upon manufacturer input.

Unfortunately Optics Planet takes orders for a lot of stuff they don't have in stock. They canceled my orders for "in stock" items and took a month to refund my money. This was during the salad days of AR-15 parts, long before their COVID-19 excuses. So I can only imagine what it's like to shop with them now. To me it is worth spending an extra dollar with other vendors who actually have the items in stock, ship quickly, and provide customer service.

Some people have apparently had success with Optics Planet. That hasn't been my experience.

My experience with Optics Planet is that they will ship items when everyone else has them in stock. They are a broker and have no magic access to items everyone else has trouble obtaining during a shortage. I've had good luck with them and have also had to cancel orders when they can't come up with a good ship date. Their availability is based on what the supplier tells them. It's up to you to decide if you can wait or just get what you want from someone that actually says they have the item in stock.

People just need to understand what they are getting into when ordering from Optics Planet. OP has some very good pricing, but they rely a lot on backorder for their business model.

Yes, that amazing deal you found there will likely result in a delay as the item is not in stock right now (backorder!).
No, they wont charge your cc until it ships (there will be an initial cc hold though)
Yes, you can easily cancel the order from the website if its backordered.

It can be frustrating to find out that the item you thought was in stock is backordered, but then again, at least it puts you in line for the item. It's especially nice now-a-days with ammo so scarce and most websites not taking orders at all.

Exactly. I've ordered quite a bit from Optics Planet, and while my overall experience has been good, I'm convinced their business model relies on these short term loans they call "orders" :confused:

After reviewing my OpticsPlanet orders with backordered items, I have never been charged until the items actually ship. Like any retailer, OpticsPlanet will place a funds hold using your payment method at the time of order, but AFAIK these holds will always auto expire after 30 days. Depending upon what payment vendor you use and how they report holds / pending transactions, these may initially look like actual charges. I could see this contributing to confusion about backordered / cancelled items and refunds.

I have 2000 rounds of 9mm on order since July, eta was August when I ordered, it's moved a dozen times. Today it says December 19th.

Im sure I'll get it someday, and they don't have my money, so I figure why not.

I have ordered from Optics Planet as well and it shows the items in stock and then when I check out it is back ordered. I have not ordered anything for a while from them. It is true that they charge your credit card a $1.00 or something like and then refund. Frankly there is no excuse given the inventory tracking software available today. Once you checkout there should be a inventory check so see if the item is in stock and reserve it. If you don't complete the checkout within a reasonable time frame then it should put the items back into their inventory and times out the browser session.

No, they wont charge your cc until it ships (there will be an initial cc hold though)
Yes, you can easily cancel the order from the website if its backordered.
I have never been charged until the items actually ship

Reviving a semi-old thread just in case it's relevant for someone. The above hasn't been my experience at all.

I was building my first AR back in Sept. I ordered an item that was in stock yet didn't ship for a couple of weeks. Never a credit back to my card before shipping. Unfortunately, they also changed the status to "Preparing to ship" on the same day that I ordered it, so I couldn't use the site to cancel the order. They also had their chat and phone configured to disconnect you automatically after some amount of wait time. I called and tried to use the chat so I could cancel but kept getting kicked off. It miraculously shipped the day after I left a voicemail and email trying to cancel the order.

Fast forward to today (details provided for those like me who are skeptical and require data):
  • My credit card was charged 3 weeks ago for an item that showed 7 in stock and would ship in 1-7 days.
  • I got an email 10 days later that there was a delay in shipping and I should get a shipping notfiication in the next few days, no credit back to my card.
  • 18 days later the status still shows as "Ordered" with no updates. I checked the stock and it said 4 in stock with 1-6 days to ship. I (finally) got ahold of customer service to ask for an update. They (very kindly) said it was being prepared for shipment and I should get a shipping confirmation today.
  • 5 minutes after I get off the phone, I get a shipping notification
I find the timing extremely odd that, after 3 weeks, I get a shipping notification w/in minutes of calling to complain and it's not just one isolated instance. This isn't a rant, just information for those who are considering ordering from OP and want additional experiences than those above.

Reviving a semi-old thread just in case it's relevant for someone. The above hasn't been my experience at all.

I was building my first AR back in Sept. I ordered an item that was in stock yet didn't ship for a couple of weeks. Never a credit back to my card before shipping. Unfortunately, they also changed the status to "Preparing to ship" on the same day that I ordered it, so I couldn't use the site to cancel the order. They also had their chat and phone configured to disconnect you automatically after some amount of wait time. I called and tried to use the chat so I could cancel but kept getting kicked off. It miraculously shipped the day after I left a voicemail and email trying to cancel the order.

Fast forward to today (details provided for those like me who are skeptical and require data):
  • My credit card was charged 3 weeks ago for an item that showed 7 in stock and would ship in 1-7 days.
  • I got an email 10 days later that there was a delay in shipping and I should get a shipping notfiication in the next few days, no credit back to my card.
  • 18 days later the status still shows as "Ordered" with no updates. I checked the stock and it said 4 in stock with 1-6 days to ship. I (finally) got ahold of customer service to ask for an update. They (very kindly) said it was being prepared for shipment and I should get a shipping confirmation today.
  • 5 minutes after I get off the phone, I get a shipping notification
I find the timing extremely odd that, after 3 weeks, I get a shipping notification w/in minutes of calling to complain and it's not just one isolated instance. This isn't a rant, just information for those who are considering ordering from OP and want additional experiences than those above.

Sounds like Botach.

I recently ordered some stuff from Optics Planet. They do weird stuff.

I had a smiler event as above. I canceled my ordered, made a new one and the items shipped the next day.......

CTD has been on that list since they pulled their crap.
Same here. I was thinking yesterday, as I was trying to find an FFL that does private party transfers at a remotely acceptable price, that it's hard to have principles. It restricts me on the places I do business with, but I'm willing to be inconvenienced for the piece of mind of having self-respect.

Same here. I was thinking yesterday, as I was trying to find an FFL that does private party transfers at a remotely acceptable price, that it's hard to have principles. It restricts me on the places I do business with, but I'm willing to be inconvenienced for the piece of mind of having self-respect.

Yeah they're scum and I vote with my dollars. I'd rather pay more and be able to sleep at night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top