JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up a 10/22 with a 6-18xx40mm scope on it.

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a power that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

Put another way - how much scope is too much?

Some say 2-7 is plenty for rimfire. That makes sense to me for 22LR and plinking, but WMR (and especially .17) have more legs on them.

What do you all think? Is there a point at which you're thinking, "too much scope"?
Aim small, miss small.
For target and varmints, I like the high power option on the .22

FWIW, I run a 6.5-20x44 Intensity scope on my Savage 9317TR for ground squirrels. And the CZ 455's run a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 and a Burris 4.5-14x42 MSR for 100 yard competitions at the club. I like the higher magnification at 14x for seeing holes in the target, and rarely use higher than 14x on the .17HMR. Use it at 6.5x most of the time, but zoom it up for the 150 yard + shots. Also like having the adjustable parallax to focus at different ranges.

FWIW, I run a 6.5-20x44 Intensity scope on my Savage 9317TR for ground squirrels. And the CZ 455's run a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 and a Burris 4.5-14x42 MSR for 100 yard competitions at the club. I like the higher magnification at 14x for seeing holes in the target, and rarely use higher than 14x on the .17HMR. Use it at 6.5x most of the time, but zoom it up for the 150 yard + shots. Also like having the adjustable parallax to focus at different ranges.
Do you find that 6.5 on the low end is too strong for closer shots?

Do you find that 6.5 on the low end is too strong for closer shots?
Not really. You get used to it. If the target is too close for the scope, there is usually a handgun with iron sights available. The only downside to a .22 LR handgun is you get a lot of crawl offs. A 6" .357 Magnum with 125 gr JHP's fixes that.
Fuuny story: Many years ago, my buddy and I were hunting ground squirrels on a ranch with our scoped bolt action center fire rifles (his a Ruger .270 Win. and mine a Winchester in .243, both with 3-9x scopes, since we were young and had limited selection of rifles at the time.). A ground squirrel popped up about 30 yards in front of us. Immediately each of us tried to hand off the rifles we were carrying to grab the .357 revolvers from the holsters on our belts. After 30 seconds or so, we just laid them on the ground and opened up on the pint sized rodent. Bedlam followed, with the lead, dirt, rocks and dust flying everywhere as the ground squirrel ran straight towards us! Untouched, he then scampered down a hole 6 feet in front of our now empty smoking six shooters. In the excitement, we had forgotten to put our earplugs in, so the ringing in our ears lasted for hours, but the memories forever.

Not really. You get used to it. If the target is too close for the scope, there is usually a handgun with iron sights available. The only downside to a .22 LR handgun is you get a lot of crawl offs. A 6" .357 Magnum with 125 gr JHP's fixes that.
Fuuny story: Many years ago, my buddy and I were hunting ground squirrels on a ranch with our scoped bolt action center fire rifles (his a Ruger .270 Win. and mine a Winchester in .243, both with 3-9x scopes, since we were young and had limited selection of rifles at the time.). A ground squirrel popped up about 30 yards in front of us. Immediately each of us tried to hand off the rifles we were carrying to grab the .357 revolvers from the holsters on our belts. After 30 seconds or so, we just laid them on the ground and opened up on the pint sized rodent. Bedlam followed, with the lead, dirt, rocks and dust flying everywhere as the ground squirrel ran straight towards us! Untouched, he then scampered down a hole 6 feet in front of our now empty smoking six shooters. In the excitement, we had forgotten to put our earplugs in, so the ringing in our ears lasted for hours, but the memories forever.
Great story. Thanks for the laugh (and advice)!

A fixed 6x is all you need for anything.
Well, not really. My first 10-22 scope was 6x. It was ok for hitting tin cans or squirrels at a reasonable distance. But I started shooting fifty yard precision targets and it was useless. I now use a 6-18x40 and I can hit a nickel easily and see the holes punched in the targets without a spotting scope. Some of the people I've shot with even use a 20x or 25x for 100 yard shooting. So while I agree a 6x is useful for a lot of rimfire shooting needs, It is definitely not all you need for everything.

Nikon Buckmaster.JPG

I became addicted to Leupold 3x9 scopes when I was young, they go on all rifles I am serious about, my 10-22 included, I leave them on 9x always. the only exception is my 7 mag Seko and my 7-08 AR-10, they have 6.5 x 20 Leupold on them, set at 9x unless I need to see something way out there. But that is just me.

I picked up a 10/22 with a 6-18xx40mm scope on it.

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a power that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

Put another way - how much scope is too much?

Some say 2-7 is plenty for rimfire. That makes sense to me for 22LR and plinking, but WMR (and especially .17) have more legs on them.

What do you all think? Is there a point at which you're thinking, "too much scope"?
there is no such thing as having too much glass because one day you may need that extra power especially as you get older. i would just leave it on the rifle.

How much is too much is not easily answered, as it depends on the use intended. If it's plinking, and hunting, I'd say something under 9x is great. But variable scopes allow that, so having one that can be changed to lower power works great.
But if you're sitting at the bench shooting off good rests, then the sky is the limit. I have no problem with 20x-24x power scopes on my target rifles in .22 Short or .22LR if I am shooting from a solid rest. I also use the same guns and scopes for varmint hunting here in Oregon, and shots on small varmints at 100-200 yds. are quite capable with a high powered scope, and knowing your scope adjustments for longer shots. In fact shooting .22's at long range is similar to shooting larger old rifles in .45-70, or .40-65 at 650-1000 yds. So I enjoy having plenty of scope for the longer shots.

I have no problem spending good money on scopes, but for what I use a 22 for the fixed power 4x32 simmons 22 mag leaves nothing to be desired. I can definitely see wanting more if you're reaching out past 100 yards though. End of the day overkill is subjective, someone might consider 4x not nearly enough while someone else would only use iron sights and think having a scope at all is silly.

Wow, sure wish I had seen this thread before I set up my 10/22 with that Chinese glass! Oh well, there's always next time ...
Lol Japanese glass is so much better. We don't actually make a lot of stuff here anymore. Strategic for our enemies, I am sure. Their leaders have actually studied the 'Art of War and 'The Prince'.

How much as in power, or how much as in $$$$?

I guess I was confungled by the answers so far.

I've never paid more that $45 for any one of of my collection of El Paso Weaver scopes, ALL of which are as good as their modern equivalents way up there in price.

I originally bought just the one Tasco scopes at an honest price of $350 on GB, but when the package turned up there were two of them in it. I called up the vendor to tell him about the mistake, but he answered that he knew full well that there were two. He was going blind, and having to give up on shooting. Seeing as he'd so enjoyed my posts on SIG forum for years [at that time I had only around 5000] he thought that I was a deserving kind of guy and to use them in good health. sniff......

My Unertl scope DID cost me the-then value - about $800.

And the Nightforce scope on my practical/tactical rifle was well north of $2800, bearing in mind that it was bought here in UK, and at home in the US, where it was about $2000 at the time I bought it.
The question was in regards to magnification.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top