JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I just plunked down my money on a Savage 10 FCP in .308 and need to figure out the optics to go with it... I'm looking at doing mostly target shooting at 300 to 600 yards. Here are a few questions that immediately come to mind:

1) If I'm mounting a scope with 50 mm objective, how high do the rings need to be?
2) Who makes good scope rings for this kind of setup?
3) Does it make sense to get a picatinny rail mount first, and then get rings for the picatinny mount, or should I just get rings designed for a Savage 10?
4) Given the distances that I'm looking at shooting, does it make sense to get a rail that has a 20 MOA slant built in?
5) What brand of scope would go well with this setup? I've got a couple of Bushnell Elites, and a Redfield (all of which I like), but I was thinking of a Leupold VX-3 this time around.

Thanks in advance...

Bryce

Savage 10's are great shooters!

I would vote leupold, though there are many many great scopes out there. Once you settle on a single "perfect" load I suggest getting turrets through leupold for their scopes.

I also suggest a 20moa rail or rings.

Height (barrel clearance aside) and all that is personal preference on where you like the cheekweld on your stock and the eye relief and focus ect.

Hi:
1 If I'm mounting a scope with 50 mm objective, how high do the rings need to be?// Burris high rings the ones with plastic inserts
2 Who makes good scope rings for this kind of setup? //The Burris rings won't leave any ring marks on scope:)
3 Does it make sense to get a picatinny rail mount first, and then get rings for the picatinny mount, or should I just get rings designed for a Savage 10?// If you
are looking to shoot for a "bomb proof" rail then yes "Picatinny rail" is flat. See here Picatinny rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
also spacing may not work with some weaver rings.
4 Given the distances that I'm looking at shooting, does it make sense to get a rail that has a 20 MOA slant built in? // Yes because they are company's that
make great bases that don't cost arm&leg like they did 10 years ago more after market products now:):)
5 What brand of scope would go well with this setup? I've got a couple of Bushnell Elites, and a Redfield (all of which I like), but I was thinking of a Leupold VX-3 this time around// Well if any of your scopes are 30 MM then use them.I have shot one of the "New Redfields" Revolution 4-12 with Accu-Range reticle on a 20 MOA mount at 600 yrds and hit what I was aiming at so that would be my next purchase with some type of 20 MOA mount. Is your rifle a Accu-Trigger model?
if so then you will have a better time finding a base.I have pre-accu trigger rifles so it took some time to find good bases.

Thanks
Scott Hannah

A picatinny rail with 20moa slope, this well keep the cross hairs closer to center when set for 5-600yds. As you near the end of the vertical adjustment you loose a lot of windage adjustment.

Burris XTR rings are nice, I like Warne rings, they offer some vary nice QD's, affordable and made in Oregon.

Check out the SWFA SS 10X scopes, models start at $300 and these are excellent optics. Very highly regarded by long range shooters.

This is a Warne ring set on a 22moa picitinny rail.

moarail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a old Hakko scope with diffrent color reticles?.The SWFA scope is a awesome scope I have 4 of them 10X 16X.They are a Mil-dot scope so it takes a little time
to figure out how it works:).

Thanks
Scott

You wont need the MOA base for shooting out to 600 yards with a good long range scope, and if you put one on you will have to use higher rings because the front of the scope will sit lower. I have put together the same rifle you have and found a EGW standard base, ( or weaver, same price ) with TPS aluminum rings ( from brownells ) Ring height depends on objective size. That being said I went with the Leupold 4.5x14x40 LR. I have 50mm scopes on all my other rifles and I really appreciate the low mounting height of the 40mm and can see no difference in light gathering. The 40mm can use med, and the 50mm needs high, as far as ring height goes. Hope this helps.

Bryce,
I have been hunting Mulies for years with my Savage 110 Tactical in 308. It is a tack driver. I would strongly recommend the Springfield Armory scope if you can find it. It's big and bulky compared to a standard Leupold VX III, but it has a BDC reticle that is perfectly calibrated for the 308. I shoot a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip through mine and at 500, 600 and 700 the BDC is dead on. All you need to know is the wind.

As for the 20 MOA bases? If you are using a BDC reticle scope I reall don't think it is necessary at those distances. If you were going to be shooting @ 1500, yes. But out to 800 or 1000 you have plenty of adjustment in any decent optic with a bullet drop comp built in to the glass. If you are just using a Mil-dot, well, maybe you could benefit from the cant on the bases. Try to find the Springfield Scope first, you will NOT be sorry.

my buddy just asked me the same question. He picked up an egw 20 moa base, burris signature zee rings(the ones with the plastic inserts), and a bushnell elite tactical fixed 10x mil/mil scope for it. And spent about $280 on all three. If you have questions on where to buy these for a good price send me a pm as I have already dont the footwork.

my buddy just asked me the same question. He picked up an egw 20 moa base, burris signature zee rings(the ones with the plastic inserts), and a bushnell elite tactical fixed 10x mil/mil scope for it. And spent about $280 on all three. If you have questions on where to buy these for a good price send me a pm as I have already dont the footwork.

I've got two of the Bushnell Elite's, and really like them as well. This time I went for the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50 with the varmint reticle. It's mounted on a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail. I got some rings (which I can't remember the name of off-hand), but I'm not really pleased with them. I was talking with one of the guys at the range, and he had the exact same pair that he took off his gun - and he offered to give them to me if I wanted them...

Thanks for all the tips!

Bryce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews