JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
wondering what everybody's thoughts are on what scope i should use on my 224 Valkyrie AR 15. Im not using it for competition or needing to shoot that 1000 yd shot but id like a scope good enough to easily hit 600-750. Ill be using it for coyote hunting mostly in central oregon.

I'd seriously look at the Leupold Mk AR 4x-12x with mil-dot for this application.
Thats the exact one i had in mind but I don't know optics as well as most the people on here so I figured i'd see what others thought. Glad to hear you like that scope for what id be using it for too! Thanks!

I'd seriously look at the Leupold Mk AR 4x-12x with mil-dot for this application.

Maybe I am wrong but 12 x at 600-700 yards? You can pick up a coyote target at 12 x at 600 years and have the cross hairs on a 4 inch area? Maybe I am wrong but I'd tend to think 20 x? What do you think? I would look at Vortex. I have several Leupold and Vortex and from now on I will be with Vortex.

20X your going to have to deal with a LOT of heat distortion at that distance unless its cold out your also going to have one hell of a lot of air to deal with. A 5 mile an hour breeze at 600 yards is a lot to deal with. The std bulleye for hi power rifle at 600 yards is 6" the Black is 36" hitting the X ring at 600 yards with a .22 cal bullet is sniper type shooting.

Buddy has similar setuo for similar purpose and uses a Vortex HST 4-16x44. It seemed to track well and has decent lenses.

The SWFA Super Sniper scope is a bargain for how well it performs. All sorts of manification ranges.

BUT...if you are using to shoot targets at 600 to 700 and don't intend to necessarily shoot coyotes at that range, 10x or 12x would do fine. I'd make sure that anything over 10x has a parallax adjustment.

Maybe I am wrong but 12 x at 600-700 yards? You can pick up a coyote target at 12 x at 600 years and have the cross hairs on a 4 inch area? Maybe I am wrong but I'd tend to think 20 x? What do you think? I would look at Vortex. I have several Leupold and Vortex and from now on I will be with Vortex.

I shoot deer at 400 with a fixed 6x. Magnification isn't everything if optics are clear. Plates at 1000 with 10x is pretty doable.

Last Edited:

I have a 12x Unertl on my 98 Mauser in 240 Cobra. I've only used it on coyotes out to 250+ yards but more that adequately magnified. Also fairly easy to pick out rock chucks at around 400 to 450 yards.

You can reliably hit the 4 to 5 inch diameter "kill zone" on a coyote for a humane kill at 600 to 750 yards under field conditions? You're a better marksman than I am.

I do it, but with a 7mm Rem Mag that has a 4.5x14x40 on it. If you set up with a bipod, its doable if you are capable. I'm not advocating buying an off the rack rifle and scope combo and lobbing corelokts though.

I do it, but with a 7mm Rem Mag that has a 4.5x14x40 on it. If you set up with a bipod, its doable if you are capable. I'm not advocating buying an off the rack rifle and scope combo and lobbing corelokts though.

I'm sure there are a fair number of people on here that can make those kinds of shots or better, and I wasn't trying to denigrate the gentleman's shooting ability. Personally, virtually every rifle I own is capable of far better accuracy than I can wring out of it, so my coyote hunting is all done within 200 to maybe 250 yards with the vast majority being under 100 yards.

600-700 yards for target shooting with a 224V is right in the wheel house for that cartridge. 4.5-14 or a 4-16 is plenty for the ranges you describe for target shooting.

Nobody successfully cleanly kills coyotes at 600-700 yards with any regularity or once in a lifetime with the best of luck. Trying to set up your rifle for this is silly.

I just put glass on mine today...VXi 4.5-14x50mm LRP with the Impact 29 reticle. I love that reticle for rats and rock chucks. Got about a third of the way through barrel break-in before I had to come to work.

I wouldn't shoot anything over the size of a chuck at that range with the Valkyrie. No matter what you read, it doesn't have the horsepower that a 22-250, or 220 Swift has.

Exactly my point. If you chamber a 1 in 6.5 or 7 twist barrel in 22-250 or 220 Swift so it will stabilize this new 90 grain bullet... ballistically, it will perform circles around this new Valkyrie I put together.

For every one of those, I'd bet there are a thousand who either completely missed or didn't get a clean kill... and part of being an ethical hunter is to make every effort to make certain that every kill is clean. If I'm in the least uncertain about my ability to humanely take an animal my finger won't go anywhere near the trigger. Do you think that guy would have posted that video if he had wounded the animal and it had run off?

Get the best glass you can afford on it, and spend the rest of your extra money on ammo. Shoot straight, and shoot a LOT!

Let us know how yours shoots. Mine isn't impressing me so far. However, I'm shooting light loads, with cheap bullets (62 fmj), during barrel break-in...not what this twist was designed for. I have a bunch of 90gr. SMK's ready for some ladder testing though!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews