JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this the correct place for my question.
I have a pistol that I'd like to put optics on.
Slide either needs to be cut or purchase a slide that is already milled.

What I'm not familiar with is reflex/holographic sights for pistols.
I need something that is durable(woods gun). Easy to use. Reliable.
And hopefully isn't hard on the wallet.

I've noticed that a lot of sights are using the RMR foot print. Is that a good thing?

Suggestions?

Not sure if this the correct place for my question.
Slide either needs to be cut or purchase a slide that is already milled.

What I'm not familiar with is reflex/holographic sights for pistols.
I need something that is durable(woods gun). Easy to use. Reliable.
And hopefully isn't hard on the wallet.

I've noticed that a lot of sights are using the RMR foot print. Is that a good thing?

Suggestions?
Durable and inexpensive - a Glock with a slide cut can accept several different sight bases with adapters readily available. https://us.glock.com/en I happen to hate Glocks, so if you have a little more money, you could get something from several manufacturers (like a Sig legion) with an optic already installed. Some of the more expensive optics have the RMR base. Nothing special about it over other bases though.

Let's start with, what is your pistol? Not all are compatible or may be cost probative to RDS.

The Trijicon RMR is the gold standard of both optics and footprint. Here is breakdown of most of the existing footprints.
https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

As @solv3nt mentions there is the Leupold DeltaPoint Micro which is available for Glocks and S&W M&Ps and utilizes the existing rear sight dovetail for mounting, no addition cut required.

When I first got into RDS on my Glocks I didn't want to mill my slide in case I didn't care for it so I bought a Zev Trillo which is cut for an RMR. Now that I know I'll mill my slides moving forward, I'm getting ready to have one milled for an Aimpoint ACRO P-2.

There are basically two different approaches, mill for a specific optic or mill (or buy ready) for an adapter plate. Like everything else each has their pros and cons. Milled for a specific optic will typically be more rugged and be able to be mounted lower on the gun because there is no adapter plate, the down side is you are now married to that optic footprint. The adapter plate approach, such as the Glock MOS, may not be quite as tough and sit higher on the pistol but has the flexibility to switch optic footprints. The Glock MOS plate is pure garbage and should be replaced with a Forward Controls adapter plate don't even mess with the other stuff out there, if FC has it for your gun get it over the others.

Kind of an in-between option is the Unity ATOM and Agency Arms AOS. They are a proprietary adapter plate approach but are quit a bit stronger than most like the MOS.

As far as not being hard on the wallet, can't really help you there, it is want it is, although the DeltaPoint Micro is just about the least expensive of the quality options available.

Lots of good info given and I can not add much to it.

For my balance of all the needs you stated I went with the Holosun 507c and bought a slide that was cut for it, which is the RMR style. Fixed sights are lower 1/3rd.

20221130_135308.jpg

Last Edited:
It's a G20.

I'm not opposed to milling the slide. In my mind that seems like the correct thing to do. Or buying an optics ready slide.

Is the RMR footprint the most common?
IE, does that footprint have the most available option in RDS's?

It's a G20.

I'm not opposed to milling the slide. In my mind that seems like the correct thing to do. Or buying an optics ready slide.

Is the RMR footprint the most common?
IE, does that footprint have the most available option in RDS's?
You will not have any problem with a G20.

The RMR is not the most common RDS footprint, I believe the Docter/Noblex and Micro is used on more optics but the RMR really is the Gold standard. If I had to pick a single footprint to live with it would be the RMR. That said, I'm having one cut for an ARCO P-2. If I were to round out a third choice it would be the MOS (and I'd live with its drawbacks.)

Last Edited:
Another option is dueck defense. If you wanna run a RDS and see if you like it. They make a plate that slides into your dovetail which allows you to mount an optic. When I first tried red dots this is what I did before buying or milling out specific slides. If you end up not liking it you can just press it off. The down side is that it places the optic fairly high and takes some getting used to.

Find what optic you want. Then mill your slide.
^^^This really is the way to go IMO as well. I would also put my rear sight in front of the optic in a true backup position as it does not block any portion of the optic and allows faster acquisition of the dot.

Something to keep in mind, RDS are a target focused operation, do not focus on the dot, but rather the target, unlike regular sights . A proper grip is critical and a RDS will show any deficiencies in a proper grip. One very helpful training aid is to tape the front of the optic as explained here...

I'm sorry in advance but the thread looks like a place I could ask this and didn't know if I should make a new similar thread.
Any suggestions on optics to mount on a Ruger MK IV SS Hunter for use on a 50 & 75 foot target range?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top