JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
losing the dot with a light depends on the RDS, and the strength of the light. the Trijicon dual illumination does get lost easily.
All my 3MOA dots are easy to find for me with either my X300u-A or TLR-1 HL lights. Many people prefer the 6MOA but 3 has been fine for me.

I have all kydex custom holsters for carry but have a loop style velcro holder made by Maxpedition for the inside wall of my safe, and for inside an EDC-configured backpack. The higher suppressor sights to co-witness I do prefer when shooting, but the front sight post hangs on the fabric of the Mexpedition holster. That means that whatever gun goes in it on the door of the safe has to be one that I wouldn't go to in a hurry, and I can't carry the suppressor front sight G17 in my EDC pack with the Maxpedition loop.

As for running RDS, I didn't have any problems with it being slower in target acquisition. I love it. The only gun I have that doesn't have an RDS is the Glock 35 below, which is for sale. Below is the Glock stable:
20181006-120855cw16.jpg

Thank you again, I think I have gained more knowledge from you in one short questioning then what I have read. Only saw one of the first ones many years ago carried by a shooter from Idaho. A brief showing, and his was the high sights with the purpose he quoted, if the batteries or light was bad in any way you had the open sights to back with. My personal Glocks are pretty standard with two exceptions. One G22, barrel is Wolf, sights tru glo, 3 lbs trigger, G27 Wolf barrel, 3lbs trigger. G22 Gen4, tru glo sights and TR-1. I also have a G22 buy back, and a G22 Gen 3.5 new. So you can see, pretty much hover on 40 S&W, but only because it isn't a bad compromise and effective. It's a department, and seems standardized caliber for LEOs. With some pretty effective 9mms and now 10s, I wouldn't be opposed for personal use to go for either, and leaning toward the 9s. I see that yours have had some pretty extensive work on them. Purchased that way, or did you build them on a base Glock? I have to admit, just a barrel change alone is group tightener, and much improved. My EDC and duty have to be pretty close to stock, as serial numbers are kept with every certification. I'm sure to cover themselves, but so far everything is good to go. The MOS would be a personal fun type if there is such an animal? Eye sight is perhaps around the corner, and it's always good to have an option or two.

I added the RDS because my sights were getting blurry. With my progressive lenses, either the sights were blurry or the target was.
Bought the MOS and was unhappy with the accuracy at 25yd while working up loads.
Installed the RDS and the groups shrunk to acceptable sizes.
Will hopefully work with my optometrist this summer to get a new lense profile that works with shooting.
Getting old sucks.

I added the RDS because my sights were getting blurry. With my progressive lenses, either the sights were blurry or the target was.
Bought the MOS and was unhappy with the accuracy at 25yd while working up loads.
Installed the RDS and the groups shrunk to acceptable sizes.
Will hopefully work with my optometrist this summer to get a new lense profile that works with shooting.
Getting old sucks.

Tell me about it! I'm likely way ahead of you on the aged eyes, and doing the tri focal part for a few years. In fact my days with open sight rifle wearing glasses have been over for some time. Higher magnification with rifle scopes now must be done without glasses. I'm about to check out where sight corrections come from the top down instead of the bottom up. It used to be so easy to place 1st at our annual rifle turkey shoots each year with nice tight 1" 10 shot groups. Now luck has to be added to keep majority in that 1". The scopes are now higher magnification that I use, and that isn't user friendly in my case. That G27 out shoots the G22 so shorter barrels are better for a little while yet! Afraid I don't know the difference between MOS and RDS. Thought the MOS was just optical sights designation and RDS was the type of optics. The Glocks were supposed to have interchangeable bases to fit the differing optial sights? We have lost our major retail firearms stores in the area. Two chains out of business for fire arms and a many years business ( actually two of them) have gone out of business. So two FFLs who do mail orders. So it sounds like you are way ahead of me in finding solutions of eye sight corrections, and it sounds like there are still some options besides poke shots.

No, not cool at all. It is, like 2" above the slide. I know it is hard to jump into the optics game, but you really truly want it as low as possible. The highest I would ever go is either a more temporary-type rear sight dovetail mount OR having LoneWolf drill mounting screws holes and simply screw the optic right into the slide.

But the best is still milling a slide. Even MOS is too high, in my opinion.
Han Solo Blaster - ALG 6 Second Mount Review | RECOIL

The ALG mount is another device altogether. The optic (an Aimpoint) is frame-mounted, not slide mounted. There us definitely a use case for the ALG, but it isn't for normal CCW.

The 6-second mount is available for the RMR. The OP said nothing about slide vs. frame mount not CCW, regardless I reference it in response to your comment about height of optic. Their advantage is they don't hammer the optic like those on a slide reducing life span, also better for follow up shots as the sight isn't moving all over the place due to reciprocating mass.

If some of those questions were for me:

I have both purchased both guns that were already built and guns that were stock, and built them from there.
Most every Glock I have built wasn't sprung correctly and needed setup changes to run reliably (because the prior owners didn't sort them out properly, and because I hate stock Glock triggers. After adding a compensator and aftermarket trigger, springs have to be changed to make them run).

I found that I didn't always get the alignment of the front sight perfect, which meant my groups were larger with iron sights than when I had a good amount of practice with my Trijicon RMR and Vortex Venom red dots. It didn't take thousands of rounds to get tighter groups from red dots than I ever had with irons.

Pretty much agree for the same reasons with the Glocks. Guess one hesitation has been working with a pretty savvy guy Who is old school with the idea that changes within design is blasphemy. Triggers are the first that needed attention, but usually the same goes with rifles. Springs I know that I don't change my pistols enough some with pretty low round counts on most. Is there a special place you have your work done? Which one of the red dots do you favor, or is it one of those all of the above answers? So far, it seems each Generation of Glocks is slimming down, and my last was a 4 in a G22. I will try a couple of Generation 5s, before make a choice. It brings to mind another change over with Glock and that is almost any barrel is an improvement. The two that I changed that were drop in Lone Wolf were excellent and an improvement.

@Oohrah I do all my own work. If I get totally stuck I go to my local FFL (Spectyr Industries, northeast of Seattle).

I have owned 3 Vortex Venoms, 2 Trijicon RMR and 1 Burris Fastfire 3.
The Fastfire 3 was just fine and for below 200 dollars used, it is a great value. I had one on an FNX45 Tactical and it never let me down.
Of the Vortex Venoms I have owned, (my favorite choice) I love the wider field of view. The battery life is about 45-60 days if you leave them on 24/7 like I do. But at least they have battery access on top so you don't have to dismount the optic and re-zero after changing batteries (like the Trijicon)
The Trijicon RM01 I have had has been the least reliable. These are known to flicker on and off because they rely on pinching the battery between the optic and the slide for battery connectivity. The RM06 I own has never flickered and is a newer version.

And for Glock generations, I have 2 gen 3s and 2 gen 4s. I like the mag release on the gen 4 better but beyond that I don't have a strong preference.

I love S3F barrels but they stopped making anything outside of 9mm. I bought a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for my G21 so I can run it suppressed. I might break down and sell it to get a Blacklist threaded barrel but there is no urgency on that.

Well I did end up picking up the P320C RX, I've had a chance to put about 600 rounds through it and so far I really like it. The dot is much faster overall than just sights. Picking it up on the draw took some practice but transitions are lightning fast, and because the dot doesn't obstruct your view I can see more of the target as well. I am sold on the concept.

Oh, and you definitely want co-witnessed irons if you are new to red dots, without them I can imagine it would be very difficult to learn to pick the dot up quickly, they give a great reference point.

20190221_134452.jpg 20190221_134439.jpg

Thank you! Fairly certain the agency may go from .40 to 9mm. Economics rather than performance, as the 9mm is about equal now in choices of defensive loads. It's going to be a case of trade in value, cost, and performance as to which will be chosen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top