JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to give handgun optics a try. I don't own anything that is cut for an optic, so I will have to buy something new, what an ordeal...

Anyway, this will mostly just be for fun and probably speed steel, maybe concealed carry if I do get a small enough gun, but that is not required.

I'm mostly considering a G19 MOS, it's a good size, not too expensive, and I already have glock mags because of my PC carbine.

What say everyone? Any other guns I should consider?

I should add I will be using a Trijicon RMR.

Last Edited:
399278-d073a7c56f9ef51694f50bf2f7ddd76f.jpg
sig p320c rx comes with romeo 1 co witness night sights.

If you know for certain you will be using an RMR, you might consider getting a slide milled rather than the MOS.

The adapter plates for the MOS offer greater flexibility in optic choices, but makes the optic sit higher than a milled slide. This can affect your choice of iron sights, too.

I had my slide milled by Jagerwerks. Here's my G19/RMR combo:
IMG_20180310_091006289.jpg IMG_20180310_091908.jpg IMG_20180310_013716.jpg

I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but I like it so far!

If you know for certain you will be using an RMR, you might consider getting a slide milled rather than the MOS.

The adapter plates for the MOS offer greater flexibility in optic choices, but makes the optic sit higher than a milled slide. This can affect your choice of iron sights, too.

View attachment 536203 View attachment 536205 View attachment 536207

How much and how long to do a slide?

I have the p320 rx, it's interesting. My first optic handgun, not sure how I feel though. I'm debating on getting a 19 MOS/ milling one of my current 19s... who knows I'll flip a coin and decide

I did not know that, it does sound like milling is the better option for running a certain optic, I will have to look more into that.

How do you feel about Glocks in general? They're certainly a quality firearm but I've personally never really been a fan of the grip angle. If you're cool with it, then the Glock is probably a good choice. Sig P320 and M&P CORE would be two other guns I'd look at too.

Note that one potential problem with the Glock is that I don't believe it comes with Suppressor sights...or am I wrong about that? But suppressor sights are pretty important on a red dot gun, particularly for a new red dot shooter.

Picking up the dot does not come naturally to most people and can take quite a bit of practice to get to the point where it does. Most new red dot shooters will align the iron sights initially as a means of locating the dot. So consider the extra time and money to have those added.

You also can't go wrong with a Trijicon RMR. I'm a fan of getting the smallest dot possible. YMMV.

How do you feel about Glocks in general? They're certainly a quality firearm but I've personally never really been a fan of the grip angle. If you're cool with it, then the Glock is probably a good choice. Sig P320 and M&P CORE would be two other guns I'd look at too.

Note that one potential problem with the Glock is that I don't believe it comes with Suppressor sights...or am I wrong about that? But suppressor sights are pretty important on a red dot gun, particularly for a new red dot shooter.

Picking up the dot does not come naturally to most people and can take quite a bit of practice to get to the point where it does. Most new red dot shooters will align the iron sights initially as a means of locating the dot. So consider the extra time and money to have those added.

You also can't go wrong with a Trijicon RMR. I'm a fan of getting the smallest dot possible. YMMV.

The trijicon rmr's are a bit spendy but I love the one I have. Also for you guys that can't abide by the wonky glock grip angle, the polymer 80 frames correct this transgression and help ol' Gaston along with his quest for perfection. A0F178C5-EBCC-4F68-B419-DCCB0597A4D2.jpeg

I've never cared for the previous generations, but I like the 5th gen, I have thought about a p320 as well, it is the other major choice. I dont really care for the M&P series.

The sig is certainly the cheaper option, especially if I just use the romeo1 sight.

This ^^^
MOS gets your feet wet with less commitment, but custom milled gets your optic lower.
Jagerworks is one of the best around for that service.
Make sure you get recoil posts milled in if your optic is set up for them.

I have a hankering to send in a G20 for a Delta Point Pro cut.
And cut out the rear dovetail.
DPP has an integral rear iron sight option that makes for a clean install.

Zev-660x440.jpg

I tried to like red dots on pistols but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Took me too long to get on target. Back to irons I went.

I've never cared for the previous generations, but I like the 5th gen, I have thought about a p320 as well, it is the other major choice. I dont really care for the M&P series.

The sig is certainly the cheaper option, especially if I just use the romeo1 sight.

Yea, that's the bummer about Sig is that it is ONLY compatible with the Romeo 1. So much for options. And S&W can't pull their heads out of their butts and release the 2.0 CORE. Because that will be a nice gun if they ever get to it.

Yea, that's the bummer about Sig is that it is ONLY compatible with the Romeo 1. So much for options. And S&W can't pull their heads out of their butts and release the 2.0 CORE. Because that will be a nice gun if they ever get to it.

I will probably just go with a gen 5 g19 MOS thst way if I end up not liking it I'll be able to get most of my money out of it, unlike if I chop one up.

100% spot on, the RMR is the choice IMO but I'm waiting to see what pans out with the Aimpoint Acro P1 before I jump into an optic pistol. Either way it's coming to my neighborhood and it'll be a milled optic specific slide.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top