JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the local precision rifle shooters got to me and I want to go play. I have zero experience in shooting at anything over 500 yards and even that far out is a rare occasion for me.

I saw a Ruger Precision Rifle reasonable and snagged it up and now am in the hunt for glass.

From what I have read I have kind of settled on a Vortex Viper 6x24 x 50 PST FFP

Mostly because it seems like the most scope for the dough ($800 ish)

I know there is better stuff but I am looking at sub $1000 stuff.

Is there anything else I should consider and why?

All of this is beyond my skill lever at the moment but I am hoping to grow into it and I want equipment that will work as I get better (hopefully) but i just am not going to buy a $2500 optic at this point. Not only am I not capable of utilizing it I don't even know enough to know what I don't know.

You probably wont need the lit reticle for LR shooting. I have an HST on my Rem and its a fine scope for a little less.
Amazon.com : Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm Riflescope w/ VMR-1 MOA Reticle, Black VHS-4325 : Sports & Outdoors
IMG_0540_zpsvo1gcx2i.jpg

I found one of the discontinued Weaver super Slam's for my RPR. Red and geen lit retcle, 4-20x. Great glass, made in Japan. They went all the way down to under $400, but I dont know if you could still find one.

IMG_0104_zpsekwasp8s.jpg

for what it's worth, i sold my Vortex Viper and replaced it with a Leupold VX-3i LRP after i got to look through one at the range. They are both in the same price range. I think you will be happy with the Leupold, i know i am.

I have the Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor with the PST Viper 6X24X50 second focal plane. I love the setup for what it cost me. So far I and still working up the best load. Currently I am shooting 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards. The scope is a great deal for what I paid for it. The upper end Vortex and Nightforce scopes are nice scopes but way beyond what I can afford.

Viper is great for the money. In our 600yard club there are a bunch of them.

For benchrest though 25x is not enough to compete.

There is a weaver t series 40x target scope for about $450 at midway USA. I have one and it is excellent. It is on my 260ai and that recoil hasn't been too much for it so the 6.5cr would be fine.

Many spend on nightforce and they are really great but expensive.

Big winner though for those of us that want to stay under 1k is sightron. Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60 Side Focus Long Range Riflescope w/ Free Shipping Up To 22% OFF I think I'd call this a bench/prone long distance scope though and not a tactical that you're going to bang around.

I shoot a Burris XTR II F class which I would not trade for the world. That is ffp 8-40x. I got it for $1100.

I shoot 197s. Many of the Sightrons shoot regular 200s up with the NFs which our top shooters use.

One guy just got a vortex eagle and sold his nightforce. Vortex Golden Eagle Riflescopes w/ Free Shipping and Handling Up To 21% OFF But that is $1500 on sale

If you're punching paper and want to compete. Go 40x min.

If you're interested in 600 yard weekly shooting at TCGC let me know. You don't have to be a member. (I know you're in Idaho but anyone local might be interested.

I had the vortex viper PST with the first focal plane on my RPR and it was very nice. I had a vortex on my single shot 50 as well and it did very well on the 50. Plus unlimited warranty

Nightforce quality is what others get judged by. Different from comparing warranty. There are scopes better than Nightforce, but they cost a lot.

Vortex offers a good product for the money you pay, and comes with a great warranty to boot. There are better optics, but as I said you pay a lot for them. Unless you're going last 1,000 yards the difference won't amount to a hill of beans.

How repeatable are the turrets on the first gen Vortex? Do they return to the same zero after several adjustments? I've heard the Gen II Vortex turrets are pretty solid.

Another great bang for the buck alternative is SWFA.

I was able to hit the mile 3 of 3 with my burris xtr ii 5-25x50 on a 300wm this last weekend this scope is very similar to the viper gen 2. Either will be plenty of scope for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top