JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I just got off deployment, with a bit of discretionary cash and having been drooling over the M1A series for a while decided to get a SOCOM II. I used the 4x32 ACOG in country, and having been raised on a leopold with duplex for deer hunting, I hated it (way to much clutter in the optic, HATE the inverted V reticule.) Met up with some bearded dudes who had EOTECHs, and I loved them (the optic, not the dudes)

Now, its a .308 after all, with all the long range social capabilities, but primarily I see myself using it as a battle rifle, engaging from 1-400 meters. Considering a XPS3-0 eotech, any ideas? I don't really like the idea of batterys but the Aimpoint (50k hours battery life) doesn't have a 1 mil dot for more precise shots. Thoughts?

An aimpoint micro won't add much weight to an already heavy rifle. The 4 moa dot is fine for a battle rifle. At 400 meters it should be about the size of a mans chest.

I've heard some really good reviews of the leupold CQT. It's been the sight I've had my eyes on for my next battle rifle. I've handled quite a few, but haven't gotten the chance to shoot a rifle with one. It would keep you with the leupold. I have a EOTECH and prefer the Aimpoint. If you want you can always have a flip down 3x optic you use for longer distances. By that time you are getting close to the cost of the CQT.

Glad you got back safe.

Take a look at the SCOUT SQUAD version before you buy. I has a 2" longer barrel for better powder burn and is not as loud as the one you are considering.

I happen to have a brand new in the box EOTECH XPS 2.2 and will sell it to you for pure wholesale, since you are helping to keep us all safe. The price is $400. to you only.

BTW; the 3.0 version is for night vision and the 2.2 has 2 dots in the circle for 500 yards and closer work.

I have found the aimpoint 2moa dot to be more precise than eotech's allegedly 1moa dot. I would go to a gun store that has both and try them for yourself. Don't know about the 4moa aimpoints.

If you don't want a battery I'd suggest a trijicon reflex but you said you hate chevrons so I guess that's a no go.

Also, FYI, there are a lot more than 1 acog reticles. This is my personal favorite:

Simple BDC, green horseshoe-dot, and none of that cluttery stuff.

Thanks loads for the advice guys, strongly considering the Aimpoint, its specialties line up with what I'll be using it for. Just got a Kimber so my sight budget got cut a little ha.

How are you going to mount the sight? EOTechs sit up pretty high as-is. I have a polytech M14 and my plan is to do an Aimpoint micro on a Ultimak rail, so I can co-witness the iron sights. :s0155:

EOTECH co-witnesses right out of the box with no need to buy extra bases to raise it up.
It has a 600 "hour" battery life at the highest setting (50 days @ 12 hours a day "on") and is swappable with your Surefire 123A batteries.
The big downside to those other sights is the fact that you still have to look through a tube to find the reticle, thereby reducing your response time and losing the Bindon Aiming feature.

EOTECH co-witnesses right out of the box with no need to buy extra bases to raise it up.
It has a 600 "hour" battery life at the highest setting (50 days @ 12 hours a day "on") and is swappable with your Surefire 123A batteries.
The big downside to those other sights is the fact that you still have to look through a tube to find the reticle, thereby reducing your response time and losing the Bindon Aiming feature.

Bindon aiming concept is for magnified optics with illuminated reticles like an ACOG. It is not for optics like an eotech or an aimpoint.

Eotech is more "windowy" than an aimpoint I guess, but I really don't find that aimpoints obstruct my vision much. I would prefer it if there was an aimpoint that took CR123 because that is what I use in my flashlight (x300) but the battery life is so long it doesn't matter too much. I like the reticle of the aimpoints much better than eotechs and it is faster for me. It is a personal preference thing though.

The Bindon Aiming Concept was developed by Dr. Binyon as a "both eyes open" targeting method. This method is perfect for the holographic window of the Eotech.
Try both optics and you will see the difference.

The Bindon Aiming Concept was developed by Dr. Binyon as a "both eyes open" targeting method. This method is perfect for the holographic window of the Eotech.
Try both optics and you will see the difference.

YouTube - Trijicon's Bindon Aiming Concept
^this is the bindon aiming concept, it refers specifically to magnified optics.

First you use just the illuminated reticle of the scope in one eye and the background and target image of the other eye similar to what you would do with an OEG (occluded eye gunsight, what people had before red dots). Then when the target is acquired your brain switches to the magnified view of the target.

Both eyes open should be obvious with 0-power optics. Actually I prefer to keep both eyes open when using non-illuminated scopes and iron sights too. Less stress on my eyes and gives a bit of peripheral vision even if I am not using the other eye for aiming.

I have used both eotech and aimpoint, some people prefer the eotech reticle, I do not. Not saying they are worse than aimpoints, it is just a preference. Eotechs are also quite a bit cheaper especially when factoring in a mount so that is another point in their favor.

I guess it all comes down to what you relate to the best. I use what works for me regardless of cost, but it is nice to achieve the goal for less money, ie; XPS 2.2.
Gly Bindon, the owner/developer of Trijicon, designed his lineup of optics around this wildly successful concept, others have incorporated it into theirs. The Trijicon selection is second to none and has something for everyone, but bring a lot of money for your choice.
The sheer numbers of EoTech optics in use around the world are a testament to their overall acceptance in all conditions. I can buy an XPS and a magnifier for the cost of one Trijicon product and have the versatility that system offers.

An EOTech co-witnesses an AR15 out of the box but sits up way too high on an M14 with any kind of rail/scope mount.

I've seen photos of ACOGs mounted to the M1A, but I think it takes some creative fiddling to mount. Due to eye relief, you'll want it pretty far back which means a mount on the stripper clip guide, which I know Sage makes one, though I've never used one. I really like my ACOG, but the EOTECH was the 'easiest' for me on my Sage stocked M1A:
View attachment 199100

With this particular setup, the EOTECH doesn't co-witness out of the box and I changed to a Magpul butt stock that takes cheek risers (1/2")

Good choice on the rifle and good luck choosing an optic!

RD8

Couple of Aimpoints on Ultimak rails:
(not my rifles but what I plan on doing with mine)
ML3 on M1A
View attachment 199065

View attachment 199066

H1 on M1A
DSC_0147.jpg

Both provide co-witness with iron sights. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class