Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Optic choice for AR

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kevatc, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to shoot an AR with a cheap (CTD cheap :laugh:) 3.5x optic last weekend. The optic was nothing great at all but one thing I liked was that when shooting pumkins and jugs at over 100 yards it was much easier and fun than trying to do it with my EoTech. I don't want a CTD crappy Chinese optic with a canted reticle. On the other hand I don't want to spend $800-1200 on a Trijicon. I'd just like a $200-350 1-4x optic that would be good for 25-400 yards "ish".

Vote for my choices or suggest a different product that fits within my general specs.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

3. rob240p

rob240p Vancouver Member

I second that ^

4. Kevatc

Funny how things go sometimes. I had been looking at different optics within my specs since the weekend and finally had the braniac moment (lol!) to search this forum. Your post got me to look at your suggestion plus a few others. Thanks for your thoughts!

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

6. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

OK this is not on your list but something to consider

Combat Rifle Scope (CRS)

I went to the Salem show just to look at them and really like it, nice, clear glass, very close to 1x, and the design of the recticle great.

7. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

8. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I also went with the primary arms magnifier and my EoTech, I like it a lot. Good deal for the money.

9. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Did you even read the thread title?

:laugh:

another +1 to a magnifier, since you already have an Eotech....if not, CMR, DMS-1, ect...1-4 power scopes work well. Heck, I've used a 1-5 Simmons shotgun scope with great results on an AR.

10. Kevatc

Magnifier isn't necessarily an idea I rejected right away but it isn't what I am after. As others have mentioned the 1-4x optics seem like they can do well from up close and personal to 300 yards-ish.

Curious if an 1-4x is truely a 1x or if it really matters if it is more like a 1.5x on its lowest magnification?

11. Kevatc

Interesting but I don't have an AK.

12. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Active Member

The DMS-1 does seem to be very close to 1x. Pretty decent little scope for the money.

13. Nwcid

On the CMR you can easily run both eyes open if that is the real question about 1x.

I too do not like the magnifiers either.

14. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

Really can not answer the question. There are all kinds of ARs for all kinds or purposes. Shorty CQC ones to varminters. I can assume something, but prefer not too.

If you are shooting pumpkins with the same AR as you used, go with what you know that works.

15. mr45auto

mr45auto Oregon City Member

I pondered this and went around with optics on my ARs. I started with an Eotech, went to a Leupold CQ/T, back to the Eotech, Millet DMS, and then to an aimpoint micro. After all that I run the Aimpoint and an aimpoint 3x mag on a larue fts mount. I just didnt like the compromises using the scopes and losing the speed offered by the red dots. You might get away going a bit cheaper by buying a hensoldt mag with the reticle removed. I'm not sold on the chinese magnifiers as I've had issues with optical quality on all the china scopes I've tried.

16. Nwcid

I would say check out the CMR then. On 1x with the lit reticle on it runs just as nice as any dot sight and I have a few different ones. Need a little more distance just roll it up to 4x.

17. mr45auto

From the reviews I read on the CMR the illumination will not hold a candle to an aimpoint type optic. This is the big problem with scopes until you drop the rather painful coin on an S&B short dot.

18. Kevatc

I agree the Aimpoints and Eotechs and the like offer fast target acquisition at relatively short ranges but if you wanted to shoot something at moderate distances of 200-300 yards the dot can obscure even a basketball sized target. I am looking for a user friendly reticle that offers both decent close and moderate range utility.

I currently run an Eotech and while it is awesome for short range shooting it comes up short for shooting at distances over 100 yards ... at least for me.

19. mr45auto

I'd be happy to let you shoot my magnified aimpoint some time. Even when it obscures the target by the relatively large 4moa dot you can still make good hits. It's no varmint rig by any means but a pretty good general purpose setup.

Hopefully I'll get to wring it out a bit more at the next PR.

20. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

The cost of optics add up fast when you have several rifles to equip. Every one of my AR-15's has a shotgun scope on it except for a couple where I left just the iron sights. I don't care if it's .22lr or 5.56, the shotgun scopes are tough (to handle recoil,) and readily available in 1x4. They also tend to be a bit small which I really like. (Short body.) They also tend to be affordable, like $250.

I don't argue with anyone that there are better scopes out there. I have one on my hunting rifle and another on my AR-10.

My experience is only with guys I know personally. They either tend to have one AR decked out to the max, or they have more than one basically box stock with a good but not real high end scope on them. I don't know anyone who owns $10,000 worth of glass, but I could easily put that much on my rifles (if, IMHO, I was nuts.)

$.02