JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had the opportunity to meet with the Department of Forestry in Oregon yesterday for our efforts to develop a clean up party for some shooting areas. This is for areas west of Portland in the tillamook forest area (north of 26 and south in browns camp area). Other thread is here

Garbage, Garbage, Everywhere, Someone needs to learn about trash bins

During the meeting we discussed how we can develop an ongoing effort to develop better outdoor shooting areas and keep them clean. They are considering the idea of working with experienced shooters to not only monitor shooting sights but even given them direction on how to set them up better.

For example, they already have motorcycle and 4x4 trail volunteers that monitor the trails they ride for improvements and safety issues. They would like to expand this to the shooting areas on public lands.

They need assistance with basic knowledge (what makes a good area, what makes a good back drop, what types of firearms people use, how to educate people that toilets and trees are not a good target, etc).

They are also developing a map of all the areas where people shoot. They want to start promoting good areas to shoot so people dont just stop on the side of the road and shoot trees.

They dont like the trash but otherwise were very supportive of target shooting and anxious to have people help them out who know their stuff.

So this is a call for volunteers who would be interested in meeting with them, scouting shooting sites for the best ones, even given recommendations on how to shape the areas for better shooting, etc.

Want to help the Forest service build some good outdoor shooting sites west of Portland? This is where you sign up.

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/pages/recreation.aspx

Forest Grove District Office
801 Gales Creek Road
Forest Grove, OR 97116
(503) 357-2191

I'm going to post the map they are developing of the shooting areas around Browns camp in the "Den" section. I'd rather keep is semi - private because some of the areas listed are not safe shooting sites and I dont want to give the information to the general public.

Last Edited:
Nice.

Interesting.

I am cynical though.

Not of the forestry dept., but of people in general. Any such public area *will* turn into a trash dump. I have no doubt it will.

Moreover, I would say there is a high probability that there will be shooters who simply will not care about good manners, cleaning up after themselves, leaving behind trash, using inappropriate targets (such as toilets), and as in the case last year, maybe even starting fires.

I am not saying that this isn't necessarily a good idea, it is probably better than the alternative of just having people shoot in unsafe areas and having those too turn into dumps/etc., but I would be very surprised to go out to such an area and not find the problems I mentioned above.

Fortunately, I have my own private land I can shoot on - at least a little.

After seeing the map they gave me of shooting sites that have trash in the Tillamook forest (over 100 places just within 10 miles of Browns camp) I was pretty discouraged and pissed off. But if we can get more responsible shooters to outnumber the douchebags we might make a dent. They said the trail volunteers do a good job keeping their trails in good condition.

We did joke about how the Brows quarry should be turned into a lead and copper mine.

Plus, it is fine for us to just share good shooting sites in the Den area on the forum.

People with common sense and responsibility will never outnumber the people who don't have those things - just the opposite.

On a motorcycle forum I belong to, people would not publicly tell others about riding areas they discovered because of the numbers of people who would go there and ruin them.

The trash will still be there and will keep coming back. The sick stuff people do will still happen. There will always seem to be more who don't care than those who do. So, should we just throw up our hands, sit here at the keyboard and do nothing?

For years now, the only ones doing something about it has been various recreational groups and clubs such as trail riders, 4 wheelers, hikers, horseback riders and such. And as they clean up our forest, they can't help but cuss the name of target shooters because most of the trash has evidence of shooting activity. Even if the shooter didn't dump the old TV and refrigerator, they are still full of bullet holes. So, people with guns did it. All of it. It's their fault. Ya never see them out here cleaning it up.

That's the kind of (c) rap we've gotten and will continue to get if we don't do something as a firearms community. Sure, it's nice for a couple guys to pick up some trash when they go out, but the public never hears about that, so, they still think we're not doing anything! Well, more folks on NWFA are getting fed up with and are moving forward to start making a difference.

So far, I have not heard of any other organized firearms community out working in our forests, doing clean ups and spreading the word, representing Recreational Target Shooting. Has anyone? Neither has the other recreational groups. (Now, I'm not talking about the hunting and fish restoration groups and their projects). The only group I've ever heard of, doing clean ups and raising awareness, is NorthwestFirearms.com.

I've heard, first hand, from the other recreational groups, that they are really excited that we are making a show in the woods. They are so pleased and have high hopes that we will be there to help make a difference. I think we ought not let them down.

Sure, it won't stop. But, neither will we!

Bill

I am not saying don't clean it up.

By all means, clean up the mess.

I am saying don't expect that it will stay clean for any length of time.

I have observed that the dumping I have seen in rural areas in the farm community (Scholls) I live near and pass through every day, as fast as the trash is cleaned up, somebody dumps more crap.

As for other groups - I have seen various groups of firearms owners and motorcycle riders both go out and cleanup various areas. They have been doing this for decades.

Hikers, etc., may like to blame gun owners for the trash and vandalism, but they are fooling themselves if they do. Yes, there are some people who shoot up stuff, just like there are some hikers who leave trash and chop down live trees for fires they don't need, and so on. It is human nature to stereotype groups and blame other people.

So I went to the ODF site to sign up since it is in my back yard and both my parents used to work there. The link to target shooting didn't have a place to volunteer and and volunteer section didn't have what we are looking for exactly. Did you want me to just send an email to Randy who you mentioned in your other post?

So I went to the ODF site to sign up since it is in my back yard and both my parents used to work there. The link to target shooting didn't have a place to volunteer and and volunteer section didn't have what we are looking for exactly. Did you want me to just send an email to Randy who you mentioned in your other post?

Yes, this is all brand new stuff that we initiated. They dont have any sort of formal program but interested in getting something going. If you are interested in helping out, then contact Randy Peterson (he is the first name on the following link)

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/pages/recreation.aspx

Tell him you are a part of Northwest Firearms. The options for what you can help with are wide open. You can scout sites for shooting, do clean ups, say you want to track and report on certain shooting sites, etc.

We are still trying to nail down a date for our first cleanup effort off Hwy 26. It will probably be the first or second week in March. After that, Im going to start doing some more regular stuff with them.

Sounds good. the ODF office is right down the road from me so I would love to help them out. I will drop him a line. I see you are planning most of your events for a Saturday. I work Saturdays or I would be more than willing to help. Maybe I can do something on my other days off since I am on a compressed work week.

I think this is a step in the right direction. It's been working for the wheelers to keep area's open. Kudo's for talking with them and I will keep monitoring this as I'd like to help. With a baby on the way in April, I don't know if I'll have any free time.

I think this is a step in the right direction. It's been working for the wheelers to keep area's open. Kudo's for talking with them and I will keep monitoring this as I'd like to help. With a baby on the way in April, I don't know if I'll have any free time.

Well, that's an easy problem. Tactical baby stroller :)
mri0nsi.jpg

This is a great idea. I've stopped shooting on public land completely because of all the garbage and lack of good safe places. It's encouraging that the forestry people are interested in working with responsible recreational shooters.

The slobs will always be out there, but unless we do something to proactively try to counteract the mess and stupidity, more and more public land will be closed to shooting.

That's right, CLT65. We gotta keep it open!

Keep an eye on the Volunteer section as we will be posting several events that get us into the woods and working on doing some good (or at least trying to). Coming up will be stuff in Tillamook, Mt Hood and SW WA.

Bill

probably some covert surveillance/stings need to take place to catch slobs and illegal shooters.

once word gets around about expensive fines and prison time, it might help.

Please post here too, if you don't mind so I'll get it as an alert. I don't visit the volunteer section on a regular basis. Wifey and I may be able to make it depending on work schedules.

Mike

Actually Mike, we'll have a special 'Pop-Up' notification, with link, that you'll see when ever you enter the NWFA site. That way, all get informed of official events.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews