JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking at purchasing a hunting rifle in 308, and not an AR10.

I've tried figuring out a "new rifle" up to about $800.. I would like to stay at $800 total but since it'll be next year before deer season starts again I've got time to scope up..

But I'm about to head to Eastern Oregon and my grandad in law is the master of gun smithing and will set me up with ammo if I take a gun up there to show him.

So I've got a couple used I am looking at.

#1 is a Tikka T3
. The gun has a 22" barrel. The exterior of the gun does have rust. Comes with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm. Has a sling and a recoil pad. Pitting dos not look too bad but it is spread out. The bore is rust free.

#2 is a Savage 11 also 22" and looks like it was a package deal when new as it has the bipod, and Nikon Scope .. Condition is good with few tiny usage nicks..

The tikka is $695
Savage is $495.
I plan to camo dip any gun I purchase so it should cover any rust cleaning damage.
I've shot a Savage before but not with the accu trigger which I assume it has..

Tikka I'm not familiar with other then internet reviews and forum talk.

Price point I can see having money for a different scope on savage and I'm sure the Leupold would be fine for the Tikka..

I need help here and hoping for a consensus on which "if you had a choice" would you purchase?

Thanks!
I have a Tikka T3 in 30.06. I like it very much. I added an aftermarket laminated stock and now it is even better!!

I'm looking at purchasing a hunting rifle in 308, and not an AR10.

I've tried figuring out a "new rifle" up to about $800.. I would like to stay at $800 total but since it'll be next year before deer season starts again I've got time to scope up..

But I'm about to head to Eastern Oregon and my grandad in law is the master of gun smithing and will set me up with ammo if I take a gun up there to show him.

So I've got a couple used I am looking at.

#1 is a Tikka T3
. The gun has a 22" barrel. The exterior of the gun does have rust. Comes with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm. Has a sling and a recoil pad. Pitting dos not look too bad but it is spread out. The bore is rust free.

#2 is a Savage 11 also 22" and looks like it was a package deal when new as it has the bipod, and Nikon Scope .. Condition is good with few tiny usage nicks..

The tikka is $695
Savage is $495.
I plan to camo dip any gun I purchase so it should cover any rust cleaning damage.
I've shot a Savage before but not with the accu trigger which I assume it has..

Tikka I'm not familiar with other then internet reviews and forum talk.

Price point I can see having money for a different scope on savage and I'm sure the Leupold would be fine for the Tikka..

I need help here and hoping for a consensus on which "if you had a choice" would you purchase?

Thanks!
I do not own either one of those rifles, but I do shoot 600 yard matches at Tri county gun club. There are some that use Savage rifles and do quite well. I do not know of anyone who uses a Tikka. You can take that for whatever it is worth. If you ever need a gunsmith to work on your rifle, you would probably be better off with the Savage as well. The Tikka is imported and parts might be hard to get and expensive compared to Savage parts.

Had a savage hoghunter 308 and plenty accurate but kicked so hard with the 18" threaded bbl. Flexible stock. Lots for the money though but will always be a value gun. Nothing wrong with that but buy and mod what you want to end up with. You can spend years and lots of money restoring a Valiant or if you start with a porsche, you end up with a porsche. Have a Tikka T3 in ,223 now and it is elegant and sooooo smoooth. Will never sell it. Buy the Tikka, set it up and don't look back.

I do not own either one of those rifles, but I do shoot 600 yard matches at Tri county gun club. There are some that use Savage rifles and do quite well. I do not know of anyone who uses a Tikka. You can take that for whatever it is worth. If you ever need a gunsmith to work on your rifle, you would probably be better off with the Savage as well. The Tikka is imported and parts might be hard to get and expensive compared to Savage parts.
Tikka (and parts) are imported by Savage Arms, and parts are relatively easy to get. (so far.)

When one takes a closer look at the Tikka T3, you see all the shortcuts that Sako takes in making the rifle, to bring down its cost. It is not the same as a Sako. Nor even as well built as the original Tikka rifles, before that company went out of business, and the name was purchased by Sako.

It only has a two lug bolt. A Sako has 3 lugs. It only comes in one action length. So if you have short action cartridge like a 308 Win, you have to shoot it in a long action gun, and in long action mags that have inserts inside to shorten them.

But the worst things in my opinion about the T3 Lite are the stock and how uncomfortable the rifle is to shoot. The recoil pad on it is quite disappointing. Especially for how very hard the rifles kick. The recoil velocity is quite up there.

To me, the Thompson Center Arms Venture is a better implemented concept of a good value rifle. Its bolt has 3 lugs. The rifle in short action calibers actually has a short action. Plus, I really like its stock. Those inserts give it a great comfortable grip. And it has a far more substantial recoil pad on it.

Plus, on top of all of that, it is made right here in the USA by Americans, and not in Finland, in case that matters to anyone.

Downside is that one probably will pay a little more for it, and it will be more difficult to find. But the OP asked what other people would do in his situation. And the Venture is what I would choose.

Tikka (and parts) are imported by Savage Arms, and parts are relatively easy to get. (so far.)

That is no where even remotely close to being a true and accurate statement. Are you talking about parts for the old Tikka rifles made by the original Tikka company? They have been out of business for many years now.

The Tikka T3 is just a brand name made by Sako now. And Sako is a division of Beretta. All Sako and Tikka brand rifles being sold in the USA are now being imported by Beretta. Has been the case now for quite a number of years.

That is no where even remotely close to being a true and accurate statement. Are you talking about parts for the old Tikka rifles made by the original Tikka company? They have been out of business for many years now.

The Tikka T3 is just a brand name made by Sako now. And Sako is a division of Beretta. All Sako and Tikka brand rifles being sold in the USA are now being imported by Beretta. Has been the case now for quite a number of years.

My box says Savage right on the box.

Below is a photo of the label that is on the box of a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 that is currently listed on Gunbroker.com This label looks pretty much identical to the one on the box of the T3 Lite that I puchased back in 2006.

Beretta acquired Sako 2 years before the Tikka T3 was first introduced. The rifle has always been imported and distributed by Beretta USA.

I did not care for the T3 Lite myself, and only shot it at the range a couple of times, before deciding that I did not want to keep it. I replaced it with a Remington 700 LVSF, which Remington discontinued not long after I bought it.

beretta_tikka.jpg

More info on the Tikka T3, from the Blue Book of Guns:

tikka_info.jpg

I came into town today to look over choices.. The Tikka and Savage Trophy are in a local shop that pays well for used guns and does small markup to sell them... So I always know they only get about 35-75 bucks on most purchases and I try to support them for that.. It's a good thing when a local gun shop tries to make sure everyone is happy with a deal.

The Tikka with the scope was treated poorly during its life time and it shows. It was very light, but bolt was sticky on it, the stock had strange bore holes, and lots of rust on surface.

I looked at another tikka there in 30.06 as I just wanted to know how it felt bolt/trigger wise..

I played with the savage trophy (the lightly used one) with the no name bipod and I liked it a lot!

Now from there I went to Bimart, Coastal, and a pawn shop locally. I've played with just about everything in that price range including a Remington, Howa, a strange older Mossberg, a Savage Axis (did not like that one at all!), Winchester 100 and Ruger American.. I must of handled 30 rifles today and I kept thinking of one!

I am liking the Savage trophy for weight, and balance and something about the used one was different.. I know the prior owner tuned the pull down to whatever is lowest (feels like 2lbs or less) and it's so crisp with no play. The bolt was very smooth that not even the two Tikkas provided, and fact is I was up to $1000 plus used guns before I felt anything I liked as well.

I started this post about 2pm, and just finished my day.. On way home I purchased the Savage (used one) Trophy 11.. I had one of those "It's the one" moments and decided to swing back by and pick it up before they closed!

Thanks all for advice and I will be looking for a couple of suggested models that are just not easy to find here (maybe at Sportmans Warehouse but I didn't make it there today) as I'm not done.. I have a few more caliber so hope to pick up and next one will be a lighter caliber in case wife changes mind on hunting.

image.jpeg

I came into town today to look over choices.. The Tikka and Savage Trophy are in a local shop that pays well for used guns and does small markup to sell them... So I always know they only get about 35-75 bucks on most purchases and I try to support them for that.. It's a good thing when a local gun shop tries to make sure everyone is happy with a deal.

The Tikka with the scope was treated poorly during its life time and it shows. It was very light, but bolt was sticky on it, the stock had strange bore holes, and lots of rust on surface.

I looked at another tikka there in 30.06 as I just wanted to know how it felt bolt/trigger wise..

I played with the savage trophy (the lightly used one) with the no name bipod and I liked it a lot!

Now from there I went to Bimart, Coastal, and a pawn shop locally. I've played with just about everything in that price range including a Remington, Howa, a strange older Mossberg, a Savage Axis (did not like that one at all!), Winchester 100 and Ruger American.. I must of handled 30 rifles today and I kept thinking of one!

I am liking the Savage trophy for weight, and balance and something about the used one was different.. I know the prior owner tuned the pull down to whatever is lowest (feels like 2lbs or less) and it's so crisp with no play. The bolt was very smooth that not even the two Tikkas provided, and fact is I was up to $1000 plus used guns before I felt anything I liked as well.

I started this post about 2pm, and just finished my day.. On way home I purchased the Savage (used one) Trophy 11.. I had one of those "It's the one" moments and decided to swing back by and pick it up before they closed!

Thanks all for advice and I will be looking for a couple of suggested models that are just not easy to find here (maybe at Sportmans Warehouse but I didn't make it there today) as I'm not done.. I have a few more caliber so hope to pick up and next one will be a lighter caliber in case wife changes mind on hunting.
congrats on your purchase!!! i hope it treats you as well as mine has treated me. im sure it will. its easy to add weight to the trigger if you want to.

it only took me 1 savage to be a lifetime customer.

"shop that pays well for used guns and does small markup to sell them..."

Thanks for this. I haven't had a good laugh for a bit.:D
For the most part they do. I've known someone who took a Glock 22 in and got $300, they turned around and sold it for $325. The primary business is large equipment sales and like he said tonight "I sell guns so we don't die of boredom but I sell typically 1 tractor a month that makes 2-3 times more then the gun shop does".. Legendary Arms in Central Point and it's on Gun Broker.. They also will rent you a bulldozer or sell you a huge scraper as well!

For the most part they do. I've known someone who took a Glock 22 in and got $300, they turned around and sold it for $325. The primary business is large equipment sales and like he said tonight "I sell guns so we don't die of boredom but I sell typically 1 tractor a month that makes 2-3 times more then the gun shop does".. Legendary Arms in Central Point and it's on Gun Broker.. They also will rent you a bulldozer or sell you a huge scraper as well!

Some shops do work on small profit margins I know. My shop does too because owner has other means of income and does it as a hobby but every shop will tell you they "buy high and sell low".... UH huh..;)