JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at purchasing a hunting rifle in 308, and not an AR10.

I've tried figuring out a "new rifle" up to about $800.. I would like to stay at $800 total but since it'll be next year before deer season starts again I've got time to scope up..

But I'm about to head to Eastern Oregon and my grandad in law is the master of gun smithing and will set me up with ammo if I take a gun up there to show him.

So I've got a couple used I am looking at.

#1 is a Tikka T3
. The gun has a 22" barrel. The exterior of the gun does have rust. Comes with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm. Has a sling and a recoil pad. Pitting dos not look too bad but it is spread out. The bore is rust free.

#2 is a Savage 11 also 22" and looks like it was a package deal when new as it has the bipod, and Nikon Scope .. Condition is good with few tiny usage nicks..

The tikka is $695
Savage is $495.
I plan to camo dip any gun I purchase so it should cover any rust cleaning damage.
I've shot a Savage before but not with the accu trigger which I assume it has..

Tikka I'm not familiar with other then internet reviews and forum talk.

Price point I can see having money for a different scope on savage and I'm sure the Leupold would be fine for the Tikka..

I need help here and hoping for a consensus on which "if you had a choice" would you purchase?

Thanks!

i own a few savages. i will continue to keep buying them. i have no experience with a t3 BUT you can get a savage 11 trophy hunter xp in 308 with nikon scope for way less than 495 at bimart when they go on sale. my brother paid under 350 for his savage 111 trophy hunter xp in 30-06 with mail in rebate from savage all said and done. mine was 409 out the door... i have nothing but great things to say about mine or my savage 116 in 300 win mag.i have found savage rifles to be VERY accurate for an affordable hunting rifle.

i recommend your first order of business is removing the scope and bases and puttin lock tite on all the screws and then go sight in.

by the way... im accurately shooting out to 500yrd with that nikon bdc that came on it. ive recommended this rifle to a few buddies and none of them have ditched the scope. they work as intended.

i own a few savages. i will continue to keep buying them. i have no experience with a t3 BUT you can get a savage 11 trophy hunter xp in 308 with nikon scope for way less than 495 at bimart when they go on sale. my brother paid under 350 for his savage 111 trophy hunter xp in 30-06 with mail in rebate from savage all said and done. mine was 409 out the door... i have nothing but great things to say about mine or my savage 116 in 300 win mag.i have found savage rifles to be VERY accurate for an affordable hunting rifle.

i recommend your first order of business is removing the scope and bases and puttin lock tite on all the screws and then go sight in.
I thought that might be case of buying new, and I've called around and did the Internet search but I have not called Bimart! No one has them in stock anywhere down here and Internet purchase is about same price (even with rebate) without the bipod.. So I'll call Bimart and see what they've got in stock.

I'll also say I can get the local shop down if I can find a comparison price.. They tend to stay in line with the others pricing and will do deals in person that they won't do on Gun Broker.

Thanks for tip!

bimart in keizer has a bunch of savages in stock if you ever make it up this way. just call first. your local bimart should order it for you too. i have found bimart to have the cheapest prices on savages. same rifle goes for over 500 at sportsmans.

they meant to say Eleven but mis interpreted the 11 for a II.
i know this because they did it to me.

i sent you a link for a 50 dollar rebate. also bimart will honor an item that goes on sale fpr 30 days? i think

if you do buy it... bimart sells blue locktite too... i really stress locktite on everything. scope/rings/mounts.

the finish on these guns dont rust either. atleast mine doesnt. it reminds me of the finish on my glock slide.

thank you and yes will do the locktite!

How many rounds do you have in yours btw?

I'm still thinking of stopping by the used shop and seeing what bipod they've got on that one.. And then see what'll be the better deal if they'll come down. I said the used was $495 and that was wrong it's $475.

Thank you again for help!

thank you and yes will do the locktite!

How many rounds do you have in yours btw?

I'm still thinking of stopping by the used shop and seeing what bipod they've got on that one.. And then see what'll be the better deal if they'll come down. I said the used was $495 and that was wrong it's $475.

Thank you again for help!
when i bought mine i shot 4 rounds. sprayed and boresnaked the barrel. repeated 5 times.used remington corelokts. then sighted in with ammo i handloaded... once sighted in i have shot about 4-500rnds thru it and havent had to re-zero. my win mag has 650 rnds from me shooting my hand loads thru it but i bought it used so round count is unknown.

note:
i have a 308 i load 4 in the mag and one chambered. no problems. my brother with his 30-06 had problems with feeding when he loaded 4 in the mag and one in the hole. he keeps it that way year round tho so maybe his mag spring got loose. idk.

FWIW, I had a Tikka T3 Light in .30-06 and it was a fine rifle. It was more accurate then I could ever be and a handy weight. However as a light rifle you knew you were letting loose a fair sized projectile.

+1 for the Savage 308. Buddy has a 308 Axis, he says it's a tack driver. I have a 308 FCP-SR, took my daughter out last week, her first five shots @100 would fit inside a nickel. I kick myself for not getting a picture. I recently built a rifle on a Savage long action, it's as accurate as my FCP-SR. Great thing about Savages, they work, and are easily modified.
Never shot a Tikka. I was fondling a Sako 85L Finnlite at Cabelas the other day. NICE, but at $1,588, a bit spendy for me.
Everyone I know with the Nikon BDC scope (Monarch?) love it.

thats the first good thing ive heard about the savage axis. when they first came out people hounded them pretty bad as they are like a remington 770 to a 700. glad to hear it works!

just posted Tikka T3 Lite 308 in for sale section. And the price is right. Has less than 100 rounds. Like new. Wife decided to use her 7mm-08 instead for Elk hunt.

I need help here and hoping for a consensus on which "if you had a choice" would you purchase?

If I were in your situation, I would get a Thompson Center Arms Venture WeatherShield. Nice quality, American made rifle, and it is pretty much impervious to rust, if you have a a concern about that. One can find them online for $500 That would leave you $300 to get a nice decent Nikon scope.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/venture/venture-weather-shield

You can get a real nice Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x40mm waterproof scope with BDC reticle for $199:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-5-2-5-10x40-riflescope.html

You pretty much would have a waterproof rifle at that point.

TC Arms Ventures are pretty awesome rifles, and actually come with a minimum 1 MOA accuracy guarantee.

Tikka T3 Lite rifles kick like a mule in anything over .243 Win. They are lightweight to carry, but man, their recoil velocity is intense. This Venture also has a way nicer stock on it.

The Venture is a more modern and innovative rifle than these others, in my opinion.

tc%20venture%20004.jpg

The TC Venture is the featured rifle on DropZone TV on the Outdoor Channel, and on Predator Quest, on the Sportsman Channel, if you watch any of the cable TV hunting shows.

You might have to pay a few dollars more for it. But you would have a way cool hunting rifle, in my opinion.

Here is a product video. The WeatherShield model starts at the 2:45 mark in the video.

Last Edited:
If I were you I'd buy alg's tikka in a second. I've had 3 savages over the years but always let them go. None of them fit me or shot very well. I know many folks love them. I have a friend with some sort of a tactical model and it is a tack driver but that hasn't been my experience with the ones I've owned.

OTOH, I'm a huge sako fan and currently own two of them, an AV in 7mm mag and a slightly later model in .308. They both are wonderful and top quality weapons. In addition, I own a tikka sporter in .308 I bought last year and it is the most accurate rifle I won (with the possible exception of my jp). Working up loads for the sporter, I couldn't find a load that shot over 1 MOA. The tikka action is super smooth, the trigger is delicious, and the barrel is sako.

Weird choices for comparison IMO. I'd take a middle of the road rifle like a Tikka a million times over (and 10 other brands) before a savage. Why not buy a brand new stainless Tikka for the same type of money your looking to spend on the used one? Yes I know some Savage rifles shoot damn good out of the box but that doesn't trump floppy bolts and cheap build quality in my book. Hell. .. if you shopped around you could get a Steyr Prohunter for 6-700 bucks.

There is four Tikka rifles in our hunting camp alone and ever one shoots well beyond their price point.