JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Police responding to a call for assistance may not enter a residence unless they have reasonable cause to believe that a life is in danger or a crime is being committed. If you answer your door with a gun in your hand, you have not committed a crime. Entrance to the home must be granted by the complainant or via warrant. Now the weasel words. If a LEO believes that you are making or made a "furtive" movement or did ANYTHING to make him/her believe that you were going to bring harm to them, they may blow you full of holes.

Another winning argument for not answering the door.

To little info to make a call on the shoot. Did they have prior calls? Was there a history with the couple?

Sad day for all involved as there are no winners here.

Since I'm like The Heretic and don't holster a gun on my jockey shorts, I have firearms in strategic places. I have had knocks on the door after dark that I have gotten my handgun in my hand at the door, but I look thru the peephole to see who it is. A Ring camera would be nice, but it's an expense I haven't gone for, yet, since I have the peepholes on both doors.

Glad I don't have a sidelight that I would be visible in, and I certainly don't show up in the nearby window waving a firearm around!!!

As in, "hooked on pu-hone-ix"?

AFC359FB-93E0-4296-913B-72036A88C83C.gif 1E24AC51-70C8-4545-BFEE-B307008A97A6.gif

Thanks and good night folks I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip your waitress I mean gender neutral table attendant.

So if someone knocks on your door in the middle of the night, and you are unaware of who it is you would just blindly open the door without any way to protect yourself? Nope, not me.

And cameras shouldn't be required for any reason.

I don't think you're wrong, but the dude did whip the door open and charge right out -- I think you can see this more clearly in the 2nd officer's cam. Anyway, to me, that's not indicative of a defensive posture -- it's indicative of an aggressive one.

I presume we all know how quickly a gun in the hand can be raised and make a center mass shot at 5' so I can understand why he got shot. It is an ugly situation but it's also true that he's the one who brought the initial aggression here and he could have easily killed one of those cops in something less than one second.

My guess is he thought an annoyed neighbor was knocking on his door to complain and he figured he'd show him what's what. That's a pure presumption on my part but having lived in an apartment above loud hard druggies once upon a time, I have trouble mustering sympathy. That's my bias though -- not based on evidence of any kind -- but something you may want to consider when evaluating the validity of my opinion.

I would also like to add showing up at the door shirtless, in shorts and looking a bit like you have been swilling it up and maybe 'doing' something else and a gun in hand does not present you as 'non-threatening' on the surface.

Since I'm like The Heretic and don't holster a gun on my jockey shorts, I have firearms in strategic places. I have had knocks on the door after dark that I have gotten my handgun in my hand at the door, but I look thru the peephole to see who it is. A Ring camera would be nice, but it's an expense I haven't gone for, yet, since I have the peepholes on both doors.

Glad I don't have a sidelight that I would be visible in, and I certainly don't show up in the nearby window waving a firearm around!!!

The advantage with a camera over a peephole is evidence. The peep hole leaves you with a memory you can tell people who may or may not believe you. The camera gives you a video you can show to anyone.

I don't answer the door unless I know who is on the other side and unless you are my brother or a very close friend who would call first.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top