JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter's BF is interested in an XD. I told him I have no issue with Springfield quality in general but I am not familiar with the XD. Opinions please, any and all, good and bad and I will have him read this thread. Note - he has shot my 1911 and likes it and I suspect the XD will be quite different.

I was very interested in the XDs because I love the idea of having a small 45 that doesn't weigh a ton, like the Backup 45 I had many years back. My small carry gun is a S&W Shield 40. It's the only 40 I have and it wouldn't bother me to dump one caliber, concentrating on just the 45. My favorite carry gun is a 1911. (Dan Wesson CBOB)
I fondled one (XDs .45) at Fisherman's. What stood out to me was the big fiber optic front sight. Kinda like that. The gun felt good in the hand. It felt better to me than the Shield did when I first picked one up.
Two of my friends have them and I got a chance to shoot them both. (one's been back for the recall and one hasn't)
I thought they were ok, but not impressive. The trigger isn't as long nor as heavy as other guns of this type. Accuracy was ok, but not stellar.
Even though the Shield is valued less and it's not a .45, I wouldn't do a straight across trade. The Shield seems to be a much more accurate gun, at least for me. Also, it's slightly smaller without giving up grip frame length.

If I'd not been shooting the XD back to back with the Shield I may not have noticed these little things. If the BF is set on a small 45, the XD is probably one of the best choices. However, I'd buy a Shield instead.

I have a 4.5" XDM .45 ACP. Great gun. no problems with it. easy to disassemble and clean.
I also have a XD subcompact 9mm. So far this is my best shooting gun and a nice carry. I can consistently hit the paper at 50 feet. I'd say I like shooting both of them better than my glock 19. But that's mostly because the grip on the G19 does not fit my hand well

My son in law has an XDS 45. It has a lot more recoil on the hand. I could shoot the others all day but I dont like shooting that one too long. But it would be a great carry.

So 3 out of 3 XD's are good guns for me.

I think you get a lot for your money. I have a friend who has 100 plus guns and is a avid shooter, owns several 1911's of high reputation and yet he uses his XD 45 as his primary carry. He likes the way it shoots and feels that like a camera it is a "Point and Shoot" weapon just like a camera (he says "Aim and Shoot", but you get the Idea) He is not concerned with wear and tear or how to manipulate the controls. When it's Adrenaline time he is ready to respond.
I have shot his XD 45 and it was okay to me. (I hit the target and it did not malfunction, just not enough time to say I know the gun well enough personally) It is much better to shoot than my XDS. I do have my own pair of XDS in 9 and 45 and a XDM in 9. I am happy with the overall quality and functionality of the entire XD, XDS, XDM line. I would like a XD or XDM 45. maybe in the distant future

I owned an XD .45 for a while. It's a well-built gun, no problem with the quality. It didn't work for me though. Not in terms of function - it functioned fine. But the way it shot (I had a 4" "service" model), was a bit snappier than I was used to for my other .45's, and the grip didn't work well for my hand. Maybe an XDM with removable back straps might have worked better for me. And maybe a 5" XDM model would have tamed the recoil better - to me, it felt more like shooting a mid-sized .40 than a .45.

I would recommend, if possible, that he actually try shooting it first, to be sure it works for him. Otherwise, I would have no issue recommending a Springfield. I've got a number of friends that carry XDS's in .45 and love them.

I have owned three XD 45's, and still have one. I liked all of them. Easy to care for, easy and accurate to shoot. Fairly light recoil. The one I currently own is a two tone Tactical 5" model with night sights. I can shoot this pretty accurately, and have shot it single handedly, and with my weak hand with positive results.

The two I traded away or sold were both service models. Nothing against them at all, I was just looking for something different.

The other plus for XD pistols, as others have mentioned, is price point. Used guns with accessories can easily found in the $450 range. I bought one a while back for $350 (that was a steal). Also, mags, holsters and other goodies are pretty reasonably priced.

Well he is getting the XD - trading an SKS for it straight across - but that's not the end of the story - he recently traded some off brand red dot sight off of it for a nice Stevens 12 ga tactical shotgun - so two guns from one.

Oh and buy a new one from now till the end of October and they will give you three more mags and a extra mag carrier for ANY new Springfield XD, XDM, XDS, or 1911. <broken link removed>

My daughter's BF is interested in an XD. I told him I have no issue with Springfield quality in general but I am not familiar with the XD. Opinions please,

I had a XD service, nothing wrong with it, shot well, and would shoot most any ammo reliably. But for me it fell it to the category of been there done that so on to something different. I have a long history of trying to find as the three bears would say "just right". What I wanted the XD for was a weapon to carry in a coat pocket on my off pavement motorcycle excursions. I'd been carrying a full size Randall 1911 and thought the XD would be smaller, lighter and cheaper. Well it was cheaper but not enough smaller and lighter to make a difference. For open carry or a first .45 it would be a great gun for the boyfriend, just didn't fit my perceived needs. For what it's worth I went with the S&W M&P 40 Shield for my moto protection weapon and like it very much.

The Springer XD45 service was my first firearm. Never had an issue in the 600+ rounds sent threw it, the feed ramp was even nicely polished to a high shine. It was a beefy gun though But I was and still am a little recoil pansy so I traded it off for a Glock 17 Gen4.

The only thing in retrospect that I didn't like was the grip safety.

And I believe Springfield is having a really nice mail in rebate on the XD. Like three extra mags or something, plus Cabela's is having a sell on them. I might have to return to Springfield again.

I have hundreds, if not a thousand, rounds through my 3.8XDM .40 without a hiccup. My 3.3XDS .45 just surpassed 500 rounds this weekend and has never had a problem. Springfield puts out some very nice guns.

The XDs is thinner than the Glock 36 and weighs a bit less, plus the initial reliability problems appear to have been ironed out. As an unabashed Glock fanboy, I'd rather stick with the same look, feel, grip angle, and manual of arms, so a G36 is a no-brainer for any G21 owner.

If the 21.5 oz. versus the 22.4 oz. empty weight matters to you , if the 0.9" versus the 1.1" thickness is significant, if the 6.3" versus 7.0" length is a big deal, then the XDs is a better choice for you than the G36. The cost difference doesn't amount to much compared to the price of ammo.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-3-3-45-acp/
http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36

Personally, the 3.8" barrel length of the G36 versus 3.3" of the XDs is too big for me to ignore, especially if you're loading with hot, light ammo like Rem GS 185 gr. +P.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

The older XD has somewhat of a tank feeling. It is reliable and accurate, but to me it felt big and slow. The XDm is a much better gun in my opinion. Smoother shooting with better ergonomics and build quality. For a first gun I would not recommend .45; it is really costly unless you reload. A 9mm or even a .40 would make more sense.

My first pistol was an XD 45 compact. I still love it and it is my go to winter edc. My only complaint is that the trigger is a little mushy. Other than that easy to shoot. Small grip size for my small hands despite holding ten rounds. No hickups with fmj or jhp rounds. Its not pretty but it sure as hell works and works well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top