JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was curious if anyone has reviewed or has an ownership opinion on the Shield 45 without the safety? Any opinions on the Shield 45 carry gun vs the Shield 9 or 40? Disadvantages other than round count? Thanks for spending the time for any opinion you may have. tkdguy

For my own unpleasant use, these size pistols in any marque below a certain weight/size, become miserably unusable.

I practiced for months with a G36 for the GSSF match, only to find disappointment and fail the most distressing feature.

For a few very close in targets the pistols in general seem to be working as intended; for anything smaller than 'minute of pumpkin' beyond a few yards, they just don't provide any illusion of security/accuracy.

im down with the 9 and 40 shield. i'll prob be down with the 45. i carry a shield 9mm. its my go to if my glock 23 isnt in factory form(threaded barrel, trigger, suppressor usually is installed) that day.

To elaborate, subcompact framed guns, especially polymer framed ones, tend to be nothing but unpleasant to shoot. What's the point in horsepower if you can't control it reliably?

To elaborate, subcompact framed guns, especially polymer framed ones, tend to be nothing but unpleasant to shoot. What's the point in horsepower if you can't control it reliably?

Good point. Is the Shield 45 that uncontrollable? I shoot a Springfield subcompact 40 on ocassion
Question: Please see below Im "down" with the 9 and 40 shield. I'll prob be down with the 45". Please clarify. Thanks.

im down with the 9 and 40 shield. i'll prob be down with the 45. i carry a shield 9mm. its my go to if my glock 23 isnt in factory form(threaded barrel, trigger, suppressor usually is installed) that day.

I'm certainly no expert but chose the Shield 9 a year ago after much study and comparison and am delighted with it. 4" groups rapid fire at 10 yards at <1 second per round for a 64 year old beginner with severe right thumb (dominant hand) arthritis and vision issues doesn't sound to me like "you can't control it reliably", especially since I'm just now catching up after 40 years away from shooting. Oh - and multi-hundred round practice doesn't hurt my thumb or hand a bit. So I suspect the .45 would be more vigorous but very usable, especially the Performance Center (ported) version.

Why not check around for ranges that can let you try one before you write it off? I certainly don't intend to disparage any other choices but there's a reason millions of these have been sold. (Side note - forgive the horrible pose in my photo. I was just starting and had a lot to learn. I still do!)

I have the shield in 9mm but Im not really a 9mm type of guy. I have always owned and shot 45acp so I am selling my 9mm and buying the Shield in 45. I shoot a commander 1911 with no issues with follow up shots and I am hoping that the shield will be the same. I guess we will see after I pick it up.

A friend of mine just got one and sent me the attached pic. This was the first 50 rounds out of the gun, 25 rounds in each group. Each group was fired with both hands, primary hand only, and support hand only (about 1/3 each). This was at 20 yards.

Pistol looks like it's quite capable.

I have an earlier model Shield in 9mm. The trigger on this gun was crap so I upgraded it to an Apex. The newer Shields I've shot (maybe 4 or 5) have all had very good triggers out of the box.

I personally shoot the XDS better than the Shield but of the small single stacks I think the Shield is the most comfortable to carry. I've shot the XDS in 45 and didn't find it unmanageable. I didn't measure groups but easily made hits on IPSC steel at 50 yards with it no problem.

I prefer 9 in a smaller gun but if you're a 45 shooter there's nothing wrong with these pistols.

IMG_2472.JPG

There are lots of opinions out there on the web, which is pretty much where I turned to understand the pros and cons of one caliber over the other...

After much deliberation, I've decided that the Shield .45 would be my choice. I based that on my preference for the .45 more than anything I learned... Mostly what I learned is everyone has a different opinion...

I have both a 9mm and .45 XDs, both have been shot a considerable amount, but only the .45 found itself in the carry rotation... Basically because I found it less snappy than the 9mm... I'm assuming the same might be true for the Shield line as well...

40 years ago the AMT 380 Backup was hot on the market. It really was a dandy pocket pistol for the era, and everything a 380 fan could hope for.

Enter the AMT 45 Backup. Abysmal performance, the least of which was the 100# Schwartzenegger Trigger; despite considerable added weight it still proved commercially a failure.

Impressive target photo above, were I able to produce such from any of my own stable of pistols at 20 yards I'd be happy.

Well I was going to go up to Northwest Armory in Tigard today to pick up the Shield .45 but they are closed on Mondays... So I called the Portland store to make sure they were open and planned to go there... The wife said to wait until tomorrow so she can go with, so I guess I will be going to the Tigard store after all.

Still waiting for my nephew to buy the 9mm Shield, If he doesnt hurry up I guess my son will get a new to him 9mm :)

There are lots of opinions out there on the web, which is pretty much where I turned to understand the pros and cons of one caliber over the other...

After much deliberation, I've decided that the Shield .45 would be my choice. I based that on my preference for the .45 more than anything I learned... Mostly what I learned is everyone has a different opinion...

I have both a 9mm and .45 XDs, both have been shot a considerable amount, but only the .45 found itself in the carry rotation... Basically because I found it less snappy than the 9mm... I'm assuming the same might be true for the Shield line as well...

I had a co-worker whose regular carry was an XDS .45 and he loved it. Some years back, I asked him how he felt about the recoil of a .45 in a smaller gun like that, his response was that the recoil was 'different' in the sense that rather than being snappy like 9mm, or especially .40SW, the .45acp has more of a 'linear' recoil - it pushes into your hand rather than popping the barrel up as much as the others. In that way, he said it was easy to control, even in the smaller gun.

I've kept that in mind, and started to pay attention to the recoil characteristics in my other guns when shooting the .45acp, and I have to say I started noticing that difference - even heard the same from some others too. With that in mind, I would like to try the Shield in .45 acp, just to see if it is a comfortable/controllable gun to shoot.

I had a co-worker whose regular carry was an XDS .45 and he loved it. Some years back, I asked him how he felt about the recoil of a .45 in a smaller gun like that, his response was that the recoil was 'different' in the sense that rather than being snappy like 9mm, or especially .40SW, the .45acp has more of a 'linear' recoil - it pushes into your hand rather than popping the barrel up as much as the others. In that way, he said it was easy to control, even in the smaller gun.

I've kept that in mind, and started to pay attention to the recoil characteristics in my other guns when shooting the .45acp, and I have to say I started noticing that difference - even heard the same from some others too. With that in mind, I would like to try the Shield in .45 acp, just to see if it is a comfortable/controllable gun to shoot.
I'd agree with the linear characterization, that's a great way to describe it. I decided to add the Shield .45 to the collection, will pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday at NW Armory in Tigard...

If I decide I don't like it, I can always get my brother in law to buy it...

Now I'm looking for a kydex iwb holster with a 15 degree forward cant...

I'd agree with the linear characterization, that's a great way to describe it. I decided to add the Shield .45 to the collection, will pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday at NW Armory in Tigard...

If I decide I don't like it, I can always get my brother in law to buy it...

Now I'm looking for a kydex iwb holster with a 15 degree forward cant...

I'd like to hear your thoughts (as well as your wife's) about how it shoots.

I'd like to hear your thoughts (as well as your wife's) about how it shoots.
Will be happy to provide my thoughts, might take a bit o' work to get the Mrs on the trigger, her largest caliber to date is .38 special... Well, with the exception of 5.56, which she likes, a lot...

As soon as I get some trigger time with it, I'll post my thoughts...

Short sight radius. Low capacity. Above average recoil compared to a larger version. These are deal breakers for me in a carry gun. Lovely to conceal for sure. Not the gun I really want if I get into a gunfight. Especially with all the shenanigans going on in the world today.

Make sure you try ANY sub compact before you buy it.

Picked up the 45 Shield and WOW I like it! the stippling on the grip makes it very easy to hold on to. I cant wait to see how it shoots and if the grips will help me control muzzle flip. Other then feeling the grip difference, I cant tell the difference when I hold both the 9mm and the 45 at the same time. The only way I know its slightly wider is it wont fit into my CC holster.
344.99 - 75.00 rebate (which you can do online)= 269.99 :D

My partner carries a Shield 45 and loves it. I carry a full size M&P 2.0, but I can see the draw of smaller guns. The 2.0 is marginally larger than the G19 and shorter than a G17. With my size, it goes away easily. Smaller framed, but experienced shooters will have no problem with the shield 45 for defensive situations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top