JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I have always liked the 742 but have never owned one. Have read mixed reviews in the past, also .308 version versus 30.06? Are both detachable 5 round mags and are there any alternatives to the factory mags?

Experiences of those who have owned, hunted with, etc. please.

Brutus Out

Well, I like my 742! I used it for my woods gun. I know it's more rifle than needed for a Blacktail, but they're light and handy. Especially without a scope, mine has a simple Buckhorn rear. It's very fast!
You hear the lever rifle folks talking about a quick second shot, seriously? LOL!!! You're right about factory mags being pretty much it. They're a bit spendy due to a lever mechanism that aids loading but they're pretty tough! I've only replaced one.
I like the ergonomics of them too, balanced carry just ahead of the trigger guard and I found it comfortable to shoot! Think you'll like it!
.30-06 BTW.

Last Edited:
I have one that shoots the 30-06.
Never had a problem with it.
My wife liked it so much that's all she hunts with and she is not the most graceful person in the woods so it's always dirty and wet and it still shoots.
It took a little hunting to fined a spare original clip.
I paid $275 for it about 5 years ago in great shape with no scope.
I think they are a good rifle if the price is right.
Hope that help if you where closer I would let you shoot it.

A 742 Woodmaster carbine 30'06 was my first rifle. I love it. I still have it. It's short,great in the woods. Sadly, I don't use it anymore. I would recommend this rifle to anyone. A gooo o' 06 can kill anything in the lower 48 without question! Just my 2cent.

Have 742BDL now and had a different BDL in the 90's. Make sure you check the chamber, it should be perfect. If not you are asking for a great amount of trouble. If pitted you get stuck cases. Clean and lubricate it and get the instructions from Remington. <broken link removed>
Taking it apart is the only way to really clean it.

It was Dad's last hunting rifle. I thought the barrel could have been longer, but I liked it. Good accuracy, the .30-'06 has the perfect balance of power and versatility.

What could be more convenient?