JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear you. I agree that looking a pros & cons is a wise move especially when choosing something as complex as a firearm. By complex I mean there are a dozen or so different things that go into choosing the right brand and model and each of us will have different needs / wants.

I just guess in this case I see this "standoff" as neither a pro or a con … since I see it as a truly non-existent thing since it barely sticks out from the frame. Even in the best of scenarios I can't see it ever coming into play. So in my case it does not factor into the decision-making process at all. So it's neither a positive or negative.

But that's just me, and I certainly don't have the end all word on the subject!

I certainly don't have the end all word on the subject!

Nor do I sir :D

Let me follow up with the fact that I have been CCW this since Nov 9.
I used it for my Idaho Enhanced CC class where we ran 100 rnds.
I've shot it for fun.
It replaced my Kimber Micro9 LG and has done the job perfectly.

IDAHO ENHANCED TARGET.jpg

Since my initial posting in this thread in January, I pulled the plug and got a SIG P365 XL and haven't had even a moment of regret. That is one of the best purchases I have ever made firearms-wise, and I've made way more than I can even remember nowadays.

It's been totally reliable, shoots very accurately, very minial recoil for a small 9mm and the only change I made to it has been the addition of the Hogue grip sleeve meant for the P365 that functions perfectly well on the slightly longer XL grip. If I can ever find one of the rumored SIG RomeoZero sights, that's going to become my final addition. I think that the Unobtanium those are crafted from is in never-ending backorder however.

Only problem(?) is that the wife likes it so much I'll only be using it when she doesn't want/need to. :D

Don't like it, but I'd take it over a P365.
That said both have in my opinion very poor triggers.
Now if they made a Sig 938 that took a p365 magazine or a Da/Sa the size of a P365/Hcat they could get my attention until then larger pistols serve all my roles.

That said both have in my opinion very poor triggers.
Don't know quite what you figure is an acceptable trigger for a self defense piece that is not intended to be a target pistol. The trigger on my P365 XL is excellent for such purpose. It is leagues ahead of any Glock I ever owned/shot. I really like it. But everybody has their own preferences.

For the intended use, the P365 XL trigger is outstanding. It's not spongy, nor is it a long pull or heavy pull. No, it's not comparable to a SIG 938 (which I have owned and liked very much) but is just as serviceable, IMO. And lacking a manual safety, I find it preferable. I certainly couldn't by any stretch call the trigger "very poor". The wife made very small groups rapid firing on a target at 7 yards on our first range trip with it. That's what I was looking for.

I started with a 365 and the 12 round mags which I shot a lot better than I though I would.
Swapped in an XL grip and run with that now.
The last striker fired gun that I had was a G17 in the late 90's and everything else has been DA/SA pistols for the last couple of decades. So yeah the trigger felt a bit funky at first but is not bad for what it's used for.
I picked up an XL slide and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Scored a Romeo0 when PSA had them a couple of weeks ago, got it installed and now am really itching to get out shooting.

I'm surprised to hear of a complaint on the triggers of a P365 series gun. As @Brane Frees has stated, every one I have felt is far better than any Glock trigger I have come across. Including worked-over Glocks. (I own both Glock and Sig guns, so keep that in mind) I like the triggers better than any of the S&W semi-autos I felt as well.

I also like the modularity of the P365 fire control group. Don't like the grip, get a different one ... there are a number of aftermarket choices and that number is growing.

But, we all have likes and dislikes … so it's great we live in a market economy nation that drives up quality and choice and drives down price. We have a lot to choose from out there!

I like the Shield in 9mm the best but then that is just me. My compact 9mm is a Kahr p9 ? I haven't looked at it for a few years. I have been carrying a S&W 442 for the past 20 years. the 26 years before that A LLama 380. There is no magic in a carry gun.

But, we all have likes and dislikes … so it's great we live in a market economy nation that drives up quality and choice and drives down price. We have a lot to choose from out there!

That right there says it all. Very few bad choices out there.
Even those Taurus G2c's. Just don't count on Taurus helping you out if you run into a problem. Treat it like a throw away.

trigger on my 365 is as good as any I've shot out of the box. Run it with a Hogue sleeve, 500 rounds through it so far without a burp.
I tend to think that anybody who very negatively describes a P365 trigger - especially the XL version - really has little to no practical experience with one. It would be interesting to hear from even one P365 actual owner here who has a bad opinion of the trigger.

IMHO, most folks try the trigger before they buy. Thats a basic. So, expecting someone who paid for it to bash it is unrealistic don't ya think?
I hear you but there is the element common to striker fire guns in that the trigger "wears in" over time. All firearms exhibit this to some extent but the before and after variation seems most pronounced with the striker guns.

From what I can gather from talking with folks and personal experiences the Sigs seem to start out well and really improve in a short period of time. The Hellcats seem so-so to start and never really improve. One owner I know says his is musher and more inconsistent now than when new.

I've handled 7 P365s (3 of which are owned by family members) and a couple of Hellcats so take my "incredible and vast" personal experience for what it is, that is a very small statistical sample.

IMHO, most folks try the trigger before they buy. Thats a basic. So, expecting someone who paid for it to bash it is unrealistic don't ya think?
Unrealistic? Well, I find that trying the trigger before buying certainly helps, but that actual use at the range may tend to form a more useful opinion - either negative or positive, Or maybe make no difference at all perhaps. Still, there's nothing like putting rounds downrange to get the true feel of the gun you handled at the store before you plunked down your dollars.

I know that I've bought firearms that once I got some time with them I was either very pleased that I did so, or I wound up selling them because they just didn't measure up to expectations. Gun store handling is only a very small part of the equation for me. And the P365 XL proved itself to be a very definite keeper. It is replacing the Springfield XDs Mod 2 that just didn't quite do the trick, although its a very good pistol it just didn't ring my chimes after getting a fair amount of shooting time - and I tried the trigger at the gun store before buying.

So there you have it - I paid for the XDs and I'm bashing it relative to the P365 XL. At least in one case it proved not to be unrealistic... ;)

My Taurus G2C PT-140, fits in my pocket and has 10+1 of 40, bigger slightly than the 365 or Hellcat it still works in that niche. I have a 9MM version that is 12+1 and looks identical to the 40. I like 40 as I am more accurate, further, with it

SafeFire in Camas has over 100 rental guns that you can put through the paces before buying. I know of folks who think they want a particular gun from handling in the gun store, then go rent said gun only to realize upon firing it is not what they thought it would be.

I had that happen to me once. I was firmly convinced I wanted an FNX-45 based on a number of handlings of a friends pistols and those available to fondle at the gun shop. Then I got the chance to shoot it and was surprised. It wasn't bad … but it wasn't great either. I'm not really sure what I didn't like, but I am sure I didn't like it enough to actually buy one. Nothing against the firearm … it's a quality piece of hardware. It just didn't float my boat and I didn't know that until I shot it.

SafeFire in Camas has over 100 rental guns that you can put through the paces before buying. I know of folks who think they want a particular gun from handling in the gun store, then go rent said gun only to realize upon firing it is not what they thought it would be.

I had that happen to me once. I was firmly convinced I wanted an FNX-45 based on a number of handlings of a friends pistols and those available to fondle at the gun shop. Then I got the chance to shoot it and was surprised. It wasn't bad … but it wasn't great either. I'm not really sure what I didn't like, but I am sure I didn't like it enough to actually buy one. Nothing against the firearm … it's a quality piece of hardware. It just didn't float my boat and I didn't know that until I shot it.

Bullseye in Tacoma and Federal Way Discount Guns in Federal Way have a lot of rental guns, too, and they charge only one fee for as many guns as you want to try. The only catch is you have to use range ammo. They don't want people blowing up their guns with hot handloads (Bullseye has an example of that on display.) It was at Bullseye that I tried a P320C and--a first for me--the first magazine tore a ragged hole in the bullseye at 10 yards (my usual test distance). I was impressed with the gun's accuracy. The only issue I had was a slightly sore trigger fingertip after 50 rounds.

But as things go, I waited to try the 365, whose grip was about a quarter inch too short, and I preferred the X-trigger on another variant I tried. Good news, I could get the X-trigger for $50 and drop it in. Even more good news: the P365XL came out, and it had the extra grip length and the X-trigger.

Speaking of triggers in general...it's hard to beat a nice SA trigger, especially if it's tuned. If I wore clothing that allowed me to conceal my Kimber Super Carry Ultra (another adventure before I bought that one!) year 'round, I would have stopped searching for the perfect packin' handgun right there. My three XDs are becoming safe queens, though they do have good triggers and have been 100% reliable. The .40 is too heavy, so it's a primary home defense gun; the .45 XDs just isn't any fun when practicing enough to keep the skills up to snuff; and the XDm 9mm comes out only on Father's Day when Champion Arms has a bullseye contest going (free turkey to the guy who shoots closest to the bullseye at 25 yards with one shot--they had to bring out the calipers last year, to tell me I didn't win....).

SafeFire is the same. You must use their ammo in rental guns. They charge $25 per hour and you can shoot and swap as many as you want as you shoot.

I agree with the SA trigger, I've been a 1911 guy for ages. No striker fired trigger will ever be able to match a good SA trigger. Some come close but still fall short. However my carry guns are striker fired, I give up a bit on the trigger to get lighter weight and larger magazine capacities. This primarily consists of a G19 or a P365 with the 15-round magazine in place. Even though the 365 trigger was very good I did a smooth and polish job on it when I had it in pieces to install a flat trigger. It only shaved a quarter pound off the pull-weight but made it much smoother. It may have been the new trigger too … but I'm sure the polishing did some good, even if only in my mind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top