JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the guy asks the 7yo a question and the father flips out? I don't like to judge without knowing the whole story but it would seem to me that the father started the problem. He could have just gathered his kids and left or politely told the other guy not to talk to his kids.

I would resp[ectfully disagree with Scott, above here. Training DOES make a difference. Otherwise the military would still have the 10-15% shooter ratio we had in WWI, instead of 75%-85% that we have now. It takes quality training, but simply having a mindset that takes things seriously and running through scenarios in your mind GREATLY increases your chances of responding appropriately in any emergent situation, whether it's intentional hostility or acts of nature. This is shown by study after study.

Now, you're correct that blowhards simply puffing their chest out and talking crap about what they'll do doesn't mean they would do the right thing and not freeze up. But someone who seriously and responsibily contemplates their own roles and duties in emergencies will do the right thing more often than not.

The person referenced obviously needs more training that he has done so far. He's not confident in his competence. So he needs to increase his competence, not give up on it.

I would resp[ectfully disagree with Scott, above here. Training DOES make a difference. Otherwise the military would still have the 10-15% shooter ratio we had in WWI, instead of 75%-85% that we have now. It takes quality training, but simply having a mindset that takes things seriously and running through scenarios in your mind GREATLY increases your chances of responding appropriately in any emergent situation, whether it's intentional hostility or acts of nature. This is shown by study after study.

Now, you're correct that blowhards simply puffing their chest out and talking crap about what they'll do doesn't mean they would do the right thing and not freeze up. But someone who seriously and responsibily contemplates their own roles and duties in emergencies will do the right thing more often than not.

The person referenced obviously needs more training that he has done so far. He's not confident in his competence. So he needs to increase his competence, not give up on it.

I agree with this 100 percent.

Here is the entire text of what happened. The portion I originally posted was HIS reply after several followups. He is referencing metal detecting hence the possible confusing terms and words.

I took my boys to a park this evening and also took the VX3 so I could do some hunting. Everything was great until it started getting dark. Two guys and some girl come up. I am at the playset detecting while my boys are climbing around. This idiot starts rapping saying n* this, f* that and so on. He then proceeds
to ask my boys how his rapping was(they are 7). I flipped, I told him he was an idiot and I couldnt believe he just said something so stupid to my kids. He was up on one of the upper levels of the playset and proceeds to start saying nobody talks to him like that. he jumps down and comes swinging around the side like he is gonna rush me but he then notices I am holding the Lesche digger in my hand and he abruptly stopped. Dont get me wrong, at the time I was scared and ticked at the same time. Anyhow from about 10-15 feet away he starts saying that i am not gonna disrespect him and this and that or its gonna get ugly for me. I told him he needed to learn what respect meant because it wasnt what he showed when he came up and then I told him it would get ugly for the both of us and not just me. He then headed over to his buddy and the girl and they started talking. I got my boys and told them to get in the truck and we left. Man, it was a scary moment, I thought I might actually have to shove the Lesche into that guys gut to protect myself and my kids. I will never have my kids at the park once it is getting dark
ever again!

OK reading this,I would suggest that he uses some decorum and just gather his kids and leave.Kids are gunna hear all kinds of stupid stuff when in public.No need to start something that doesn't need to be started.
This guy fell right into what the rapper was trying to do,start a problem and look tough to his friends

If you are in a situation like this with kids involved, OR A GUN ON YOUR PERSON,you should say as little as possible ,look at the watch,or answer the phone,gather the kids and drive off.
No need to get the guy pissin' about respect IF he doesn't touch the kids.

So he takes the Lesche digger from you and beats you,what happens to the kids then? (always someone faster bro)

You can be a tough guy father and tell him to get lost,or you can just gather the kids and get THEM out of harms way.

No shame in protecting a child's safety by walking away.

There's also a certain amount of "being a part of society" by maintaining an dinsisting upon decorum and standards of civility. If a punk is never confronted, he has no reason to stop being a punk.

Personal choices, not telling anyone they "should" do it either way, and it all depends upon the circumstances, but all that evil requires to triumph is that good men stand by doing nothing.

Sometimes doing the right thing is risky. Which lesson should the child absorb? Will it do the child more or less long term harm to be taught cowardice is the best route, or that sometimes things bad people try to do bad things and have to be stopped?

There's also a certain amount of "being a part of society" by maintaining an dinsisting upon decorum and standards of civility. If a punk is never confronted, he has no reason to stop being a punk.

Personal choices, not telling anyone they "should" do it either way, and it all depends upon the circumstances, but all that evil requires to triumph is that good men stand by doing nothing.

Sometimes doing the right thing is risky. Which lesson should the child absorb? Will it do the child more or less long term harm to be taught cowardice is the best route, or that sometimes things bad people try to do bad things and have to be stopped?

Sure sure,cowardly. You must be a internet tough guy huh?

It isn't in my best interest to start a fight and teach the kids how tough I or the other guy is.Sure back in the day when he would just walk away after someone got a beatin'.But now someone wants to make a point,maybe you end up in the hospital with severe head injuries.Maybe the kids do too.

Always someone faster.Always the chance of the other guy having a gun.
Nothing cowardly about making things safe for children.

Yeah,you should teach the kid how to kick some punk a##. Or maybe teach them how to get curb stomped BY said punk
Always someone faster bro

In my neighborhood? At my front lawn? No way to move the kids? Sure.
But why would you be Mr Tough guy when you don't need to?

Oh that's right you are a (internet) tough guy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top