JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I bought some federal HST ammo (not low recoil) Yesterday for my LCP II. Anyone have any opinions on the ammo, especially if you've shot it in an LCP II? I'm not carrying with this ammo yet, I need to get out to the range and put at least 1 box through the gun with no FTE issues. Then I'll carry with it....I guess I live on the wild side, I know many of you would have a lot more of a test than that.

Dave

Hi,

I bought some federal HST ammo (not low recoil) Yesterday for my LCP II. Anyone have any opinions on the ammo, especially if you've shot it in an LCP II? I'm not carrying with this ammo yet, I need to get out to the range and put at least 1 box through the gun with no FTE issues. Then I'll carry with it....I guess I live on the wild side, I know many of you would have a lot more of a test than that.

Dave
HST may well be the best available in 9mm and above.
It doesn't do so well in .380
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP
Hornady 90gr FTX seems to be a better choice for .380

One of the awesome things about these Lucky Gunner tests are that it uses a real gun! It says the testing device was a G42, as opposed to some test barrel of 5-6", like BBTI sometimes uses.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 90gr, which were exceedingly consistent in their tests, but not great penetrators. The .380acp is a compromise, anyway, for when I value concealment over firepower.

I shoot HSTs in my 9mm, 124 and 147 grain, and 230 grain in my .45 1911. I bought some for my W German Interarms PPK/s and they run just fine - not sure about the S&W variety. Unless you are shooting through 4 layers of denim, I would take the .380 HST every time. For winter, you might change to Gold Dot or Critical Defense.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top