JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I would really like a wheel gun, since I've yet to own one. But the first handguns I ever shot as a kid were revolvers belonging to various Uncles & family friends. And since my carry piece is a 9mm semi-auto, it'd be sweet to own a revolver in the same caliber. As far as I know, the only current production 9mm revolver is the Taurus 905; then of course there's the 'vaporware' Charter Arms one, that far as I can tell still doesn't really exist yet...?
and since it'd be for another cc option plus range fun too, I'd lean towards short barrels.

Sure, I'd love to own a vintage S&W 640 (or was it the 940??), a more recent Ruger Service Six (with the sprung cylinder, so no moon clips needed), or a Ruger SP-101, but I think all those are all drawing pretty big $$ now.

A 9mm revolver would be great for the comparative ammo cost & being the same caliber as my little carry Kahr. But what do all you waaay more knowledgeable shooters think of the idea?

Anybody see any of the discontinued 9mm revolvers around for sale for good prices? And are moon clips really any problem to deal with? They kinda sound pretty handy, actually. Load up a couple dozen & head to the range, seems pretty cool. I call upon the collective knowledge please!

*additional: quoted from moderator Brian Williams at http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=263184 : "I wanted a SP-101 3" in 9mm for a long time, I have taken a S&W 642 and had a S&W 940 cylinder fitted to it, The cool thing about this is that the cylinder assembly fits in my S&W 60-4. I now have the 9mm cylinder installed in my 60 and with the adjustable sights, it is a great gun..." HMMMM....(gears turning in my insomniac brain...)

Last Edited:
I had a 940 and liked it. A bit heavy when compared to the Airweights. I think they need to make an alloy framed 9mm. Its probably not much better than a .38+P but practice ammo is almost half .38 SPL. Maybe Ruger would do a 9mm LCR.

I was looking into those as well because I have a Sig 9mm and thought keeping ammo the same would be more cost effective. I heard you have to use moon clips with them and they are a little snappy compared with other 9mm semi autos.

Auto rounds are compromises by design. They give up some potential in favor of a shorter physical size. That compromise is necessary in auto and semi-auto weapons but it is not required for revolvers...so why make that sacrifice in a revolver?

Simply stated, rounds had to be made shorter to accomodate a grip size that was practical and usable. Because of their decreased length the cannot facilitate as much powder as longer casings. Therefore standard rounds have greater power potential.

Agreed that potential seems logical. Are we talking the difference between .357 mag vs. 9mm? I was originally thinking 9mm vs. .38. Now I have to go check out the difference:winkkiss:

I think Ruger still makes the .357/.38spc/9mm convertible blackhawk.
AHA! man, Gabe I'd totally missed that one, :s0155:
It would be pretty sweet to have a SA revolver that'd shoot all 3 calibers with the two cylinders... wow. Though I reckon I wouldn't be using it as a cc gun like one of the other guns mentioned in this thread could be. Ah what the heck, why not, especially given that I have the portland-40 year old-punky-nerd look, I could OC with it and most people wouldn't give me a second glance, they'd think it was some kinda fashion statement :s0114:

hoo boy, I'm gonna have to see if I can look into one of these... awesome that it'd eat 9mm without moonclips etc, and there's some serious traditional appeal to having a SA-only revolver. And then save up for a real 1911... and then and then and then...we all know how this story is gonna end up!

Izzy, thanks for the link, yessir I was looking at Bud's prices on the 905 snub @ $331, which seems a dang good price. Maybe a used one will come around local or on the board here... I've read about some issues with the 905, like light strikes etc, but I dunno if that's really an issue/maybe people aren't using the moon clips or using them right or who knows what.

Jordanvraptor, yeah I've wondered if Ruger might make a 9mm version of the LCR too, seems like there'd be a market for it. Definitely a big part of my thinking in looking for a 9mm revolver is ammo cost... 'cos I need ALL the practice I can get for sure. The 905, SP-101, 940 and Service Six sure all look good for the options of both SA or DA operation.

Clearconscience, that makes sense that the 905 would be kinda snappy, reckon it'd be good practice to add to my (admittedly limited) experience to try and get good with such a short barreled firearm. The cc-ability of the 905 really adds to its allure for me; I didn't realize they made a shrouded hammer version too?? Hmmmm.....

PlayboyPenguin, I guess I'm thinking more in terms of a smallish 9mm revolver since it'd be fairly cheap to practice with a ton, and could be carried around too. I'm definitely repeating myself a bunch, but the ammo cost for the massive amount of practice I'm sure I need is a biiiiig factor. I can dig that there are real advantages to having a revolver that'd use bigger, rimmed ammo but admit my knowledge is still quite limited on most things to do with firearms in general:eek: I'm all ears for as much knowledge as everybody here can pass on to me!

I sure appreciate everybody's info-- and'll be stoked to see what else pops up in this thread! Woo, I'm goin to JCGC tomorrow (er...today...) to pass a few hundred more rounds through my little kahr. And in the company of a Vet/member of the board here (you know who you iz bro :D )

I've broken my multi-decade musical/recording gear addiction(but could relapse at any time...) and replaced it with cravings for interesting firearms(and a hopeless addiction to over-using smilies in all my posts, obviously). What the heck, it sure beats other possible addictions!

Last Edited:
I was looking into those as well because I have a Sig 9mm and thought keeping ammo the same would be more cost effective. I heard you have to use moon clips with them and they are a little snappy compared with other 9mm semi autos.

It was a little snappy, kind of like +P but quicker instead of a push. You don't have to use the moon clips, they are only for extraction. So if you don't use the clips you need a pencil... :)

I have the Taurus 905 hammerless blued 9mm revolver. It does use the moon clips which is kinda' annoying. The clips are in my opinion a little too thin, and I am worried about bending them or breaking them when I load them. I have never had one break, but I am extra cautious when loading. I have heard that they are a pain in the a** to find. The fit and finish is what I would call "Very Good" which means reasonable craftsmanship was put into the firearm. It is finicky about the size of the 9mm bullets that you choose. The cylinder may not close if the bullets are too large so I am also careful here. You can definitely shoot without the moon clips and sometimes I prefer to do this. I usually just grab a stick and poke the shells out. I can say that it has never malfunctioned and I have shot at least 300 rounds. It is not a fun gun to shoot though. The recoil is snappy but manageable. My hands get tired of shooting at about a maximum of 50 rounds. The sights are non-existent as this is for up-close social work only. I bought this revolver because I had a S&W 915 that was a jammomatic that I ended up selling. The Taurus 905 was my #1 handgun along with my Mossberg 500 pistol grip pump (got more goodies now). I would trust my life to it as a bug or concealed carry. I think with the lasergrips that it would be a more effective weapon for home defense. YMMV.

I do not agree with PBP, from all the data I have seen most 9mm out of a reolver is as effective if not more so than 38spl +p. Also I have a Taurus 905 9mm revolver and it has been awesome. It is sweet to shoot and locks up tight, and loaded moonclips are much faster to reload than speedloaders. 9mm works well out of short barrels, good luck!

PS. I now live in Kentucky close to Bud's Gun Shop and not only does it put Keith's to shame the guys that work there are friendly and very helpful.

does your location still show Vancouver, WA? :D

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show