JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a chance to pic one of these up from my dealer. It is used, but the guy just bought it a few months ago and has only fired it once at the range. It is just a bit under $600. I know it has the evil IL, but those do not bother me that bad personally and this is really a sharp looking and feeling gun. The gun has an excellent trigger too. I like the think the "SSR" could stand for Super Sexy Redneck. :D

<broken link removed>

178012_large.jpg

I think they look awesome. But I wouldn't buy it, just wait for a 686 or 686+ without the blowhole.

I can't remember, are these made in the performance center?
I like the looks of the barrel and the underlug so much that he hole does not bother me at all. It does not look out of place on the more modern looking revolver.

They are not performance center. They are advertised as being between production level and performance center.

I think $589 is a great price for it since the retail is $1059 on these new.

I think $589 is a great price for it since the retail is $1059 on these new.

Yeah that is a killer price. I love the ramped underlug look as well.

It just depends on how you feel about having post lock guns. The main reason I don't like them, other than the lock, is the huge use of MIM parts and falling of quality standards.

But it seems like the performance center guns are built a lot better than the factory production guns, so maybe this one has a chance of being built solid.

Remember to do all of the standard revolver checks if you do decide to buy, since I hear of timing problems and cylinder gap problems coming from factory new guns on occasion.

Yeah that is a killer price. I love the ramped underlug look as well.

It just depends on how you feel about having post lock guns. The main reason I don't like them, other than the lock, is the huge use of MIM parts and falling of quality standards.

But it seems like the performance center guns are built a lot better than the factory production guns, so maybe this one has a chance of being built solid.

Remember to do all of the standard revolver checks if you do decide to buy, since I hear of timing problems and cylinder gap problems coming from factory new guns on occasion.
I have never had any issue with the new S&W revolvers...and I have a few. The 686 SSR makes a point to imply in the advertisement that it uses all forged parts. I wonder if that is true.

I have the 627 built in the performance center, it looks just like this one. The 627 is an eight shot, and, is the large instead of the medium frame. The fit, finish, and action are really nice - the best "out of the box" I have ever been fortunate enough to get.

If I could get a SSR for that price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Bob

Go for it!

And I have a 638 with the lock, I tried it once, left it unlocked (naturally) and haven't had a single problem with it "accidentally locking". I am convinced that completely too much is made of this lock issue, to the point of being ridiculous for anything but an esthetic consideration.

So-
Let us know how she shoots!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews