JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I currently have 3 conceal carry permits. (Utah, Oregon and Flordia)

When I have the chance to approach an officer/sheriff I strike up a conversation and I like to ask "what is your personal feeling about people conceal carrying?" I have done this in Kansas with 2 different law inforcement agencies as well as here in eugene with the city and the sheriffs office. Roughly about 18 to 20 officers over the years. And I thank them for their service just like I thank those for serving in our armed forces.

Anyway I have never had any officer say that I should not get my permit. They have always been supportive of the idea.

One officer told me "all to often we (being the police) get there too late."

Another says "I know the bad guys have guns, those that go through the process are not the problem, they are just trying to take care of themselves."

So I just thought that would be interesting to pass along.

I also told them I think about situation to prepare and one of the situation was if I am holding someone at gun point when the police arrive what should I do, because they dont know me from the bad guy. The officer told me just remember when they arrive they own the situation and to obey their orders. Also if you on the phone with 911 you can coordinate that way.

Again I say thanks to those who serve as our peace officers, I believe most are very good officers that end up seeing the worst of what this country has to offer and unfortunately that probably makes a few officers turn calus and then its those that give the police a bad name.

I wonder what their opinion would be if the question was: "What is your personal feeling about carrying concealed without a permit -- like Arizona or Vermont?"

My guess is that the law enforcement people want the process in place that gives them more control over who gets a permit and who doesn't, and gives them a tracking device for those who can carry.

The way I look at it, the permit tells me the person has been checked and is legal to carry.

I wouldn't get too wound up over the background check/permit thing...as LEO's have to go thru the same thing.
We have to go thru the same background check for the hiring process, and have to qualify with a particular gun to be able to carry in all 50 states...which is a sore subject with me, but that's another story.

Arriving on scene with an armed citizen who has someone at gunpoint, can be a tense thing...especially for someone who hasn't been thru it before...Officer wise.

The best info. I give folks is this; position yourself so the suspect can not see you. When we are about to arrive, holster your gun. With the suspect faced away from you, they won't be able to see you just put your gun away.
Hopefully thru the phone call, you have ID'd yourself as to phys. and clothing description. When we arrive, have your hands in the air, so we can easily identify who may or may not be the problem.

Remember, we do not know you, and chances are, have never seen or met you...so we don't know 100% what we are getting into, as Officers are ambushed every year from bogus calls.

There are really a lot of us wanting to be team players, we just need to be assured of who our team mates are! :cool:

The way I look at it, the permit tells me the person has been checked and is legal to carry.

I wouldn't get too wound up over the background check/permit thing...as LEO's have to go thru the same thing.
We have to go thru the same background check for the hiring process, and have to qualify with a particular gun to be able to carry in all 50 states...which is a sore subject with me, but that's another story.

Uh, its most definately not the same thing. An officer has a lot more power than a mere citizen with a gun does. Plus that whole second ammendment deal.

Re-read my post...yes it is the same thing...its the same background check that every citizen goes thru...and yes, we can be tracked the same way.

My post had nothing to do with power, but everything to do with the background check process.

My experience so far has been sort of limited and a little different. During a traffic stop I asked about this and the advice was to "Make your identity clear to the dispatcher but keep your eyes and weapon on the threat until instructed to do otherwise." I'm thinking, what with nerves and all, yours makes more sense.

I tell you what,if I have a gun on someone and decide NOT to shoot said person,I will let the officer take the gun from my hands.
If I decided to draw on someone I will most likely shoot him.If I don't,I will wait till the officers have both of us under control.As soon as you drop your guard ,he's likely to do something bad

But I don't see myself drawing on someone I don't mean to stop.Drop.What ever you want to call it.

And after living in Tacoma and Lakewood,I wouldn't ever ask those little Swat wanna bees about guns.
Less they know about you the better.I have met 2 decent ones in Pierce Co.

Question 100 cops and get 100 answers. Just like any other profession. If I had someone at gunpoint, I would probably keep him there until others we in scene to take over. Communicate your intentions to arriving officers and let them tell you what they want you to do. Fwiw

I have yet to have anything other than a "thanks for letting me kniow" response when informing LE that I am carrying. I've dealt with lots and lots of cops on a professional basis and have yet to hear one nay-say CC.

Back east you still hear them wanting to have a say in the matter of who gets a permit. But that's mostly the suits, not the rank and file cops.

I would not try to hold the BG at gunpoint. If I have drawn and not fired it's "If you want to live, run!" The cops have backup, handcuffs, etc to hold the goblin. I don't. They can arrest him later. If the threat to my life is over without shooting him I'm not going to fuel his desperation by trying to apprehend him alone. Letting him escape is a lot less likely to provoke further assault.

I would not try to hold the BG at gunpoint. If I have drawn and not fired it's "If you want to live, run!" The cops have backup, handcuffs, etc to hold the goblin. I don't. They can arrest him later. If the threat to my life is over without shooting him I'm not going to fuel his desperation by trying to apprehend him alone. Letting him escape is a lot less likely to provoke further assault.

Really,it falls under "not my job" Plus I would guess if you hadn't already shot the guy,he would assume you won't shoot him in the back as he flees.
I sure wouldn't

Holding a perp at gun point was just a senario I have thought about. As a first responder instructor I tell my students to think about situations and how they would respond. It is a mental prep thing. The situation you come across may not be excatly like you worked in your mind but you are more prepared. That is my line of thinking.

So with a couple of the responses I have read I have another questions for all

Given the choice would you rather: A, hold a perp at gun point because you pull your firearm and he decides oops I messed up and realizes he had better listen

or B, shoot him and deal with the aftermath even though you know you were within your rights to do so and know beyond a shadow of a doubt they cannot hold it against you.

Do you save a life or save the taxpayers some money? :s0164:

I know the macho part of me wants to save some of the money, and in the Words of Uncle Ted Nugent " I don't like repeat offenders I like dead offenders."

So as think more how about this:

Say the unfortunate does happen and you do have to shoot someone, do you then render first aid?:huh:

My experience has been that officers usually fall into one of two categories. You have the ones that realize their duty does not allow them to be the protectors of the masses who encourage citizens to be able to defend themselves. On the other hand you see the ones who have an "us against them" mentality when it comes to any non-officer. These guys don't think anyone should have a gun but them. I would say my experiences would lead me to say it is about a 60/40 split.

I can't believe that anybody would seriously debate whether it's better to shoot a person that you don't absolutely have to versus facing the risk of holding him at gunpoint.

If Mr. BG responds quickly and correctly when I draw, then I'm no longer in fear for my life. Is it precarious to try to control the situation? Of course. Is it better than shooting him? Of course.

But he'd better surrender quick, because if I'm forced to draw it means that I've already decided to fire, not stand there spouting some Hollywood "Don't shoot or I'll move!" BS line.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top