JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some may know, I've been running the NFATracker website for a little more than 3 years, and in that time it has become a fairly well used website and seems to be giving people here a good amount of information. Over this time, all of the information (save login info) has been completely free and accessible in both an XLS and web format. I definitely am going to leave it that way, as I feel that none of the information belongs to me in any way. Also during this time I have been paying for the hosting/domain name completely out of pocket and kept the website as unobtrusive as possible.

I realize the cost has been minimal (roughly $15 a month at most), and have no problem continuing to pay for this out of pocket for the good of the community. However, it would be nice to find some way to make NFATracker self supporting (or at least hobby-helping/supporting :)). I have noticed that the graphs site run by RandomInfo.Net (I'm not affiliated with that site at all, it is the work of a separate individual who I think has done a fantastic job, which is why I linked to it) has advertisements, and haven't seen anyone upset about it here.

So my questions are:
1- Would there be anyone offended or upset if I were to find a way to ad some unobtrusive advertisements for the site?
2- If not, does anyone have any suggestions for getting ads? I would want some significant control over what gets advertised (no spam-my stuff, no politics, etc. The users deserve better than that!), mostly to ensure that the ads stay gun related. Additionally, it is difficult using any of the major agencies (google, yahoo, etc), as most have anti-gun sentiments.
3- Does anyone have similar experiences that they can share?
4- In the event that I manage ads from companies individually, is there a way to filter them based on reliability/honor-ability? I would despise it if someone clicked an ad on the site and got scammed or screwed by the company.

Thanks in advance!
-Erich

unobtrusive ads are ok for me; i don't pay attention to them anyways. if it helps keep the site alive and keeping money from coming out of your pocket, i say go for it

Get the US gubmint to sponsor you, would be nice if the people in WV could just use a website like yours to keep all of us in the loop.

Ok coming back down to reality now... Ads would be fine, and thanks for what your doing.

Get the US gubmint to sponsor you, would be nice if the people in WV could just use a website like yours to keep all of us in the loop.

Ok coming back down to reality now... Ads would be fine, and thanks for what your doing.

I've actually tried that a few times. I even went so far as to offer to just do the work for them, free of charge, but apparently it requires a bidding process which they aren't willing to do :/

I would have no problems with ads. Thanks for running the site!

From my experience as an independent contractor, it is best to avoid federal government contracts - too much paperwork and not enough reward. ;)

While I know there are ads on the right hand side of this site I dont even notice them. If I am looking for something or someone else is I do refer them to members that advertise here.

Go for it.

Having seen enough valuable resources go the way of the dinosaurs due to the burden they place on the creator, I'd have no issues with a site that has reasonable ads (as most here have stated). And I wouldn't begrudge you actually making some money either (unless it puts you in the top 1%, for which you will pay dearly). :)

As an alternative, I've seen many industry organization sites that use a "Sponsor of the month" process that allows somebody to sponsor the site for a period. There's a static space on the page with a blurb that says, "Special thanks to this month's sponsor, Joe's Widgets" with a few lines about Joe and a link to his widgets. It's more work for you to line up sponsors but it does give you ruthless control.

Just a thought.

Brian

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews