JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently inherited a Ruger PC Carbine. If someone has one or a Marlin camp 9 and loads for them I'd love to hear what you think and what you know.

I have Universal, Unique, BE-86, Blue Dot, and CFE pistol available. Loads will have 124 grain plated bullets with cci sp and Blazer or Federal brass.

Looking at available data and the powder chart it seems like universal or BE-86 might be a good fit and I have several pounds of both. Thinking the Unique might burn a little dirty for an autoloader. I have faster powders available but was thinking the slower side is probably better with the 16" barrel.

Thoughts?

I haven't done anything special with my PCC, with my normal pistol loads I gain 250 FPS with my middle of the chart loads using Bullseye or Unique.

I recently inherited a Ruger PC Carbine. If someone has one or a Marlin camp 9 and loads for them I'd love to hear what you think and what you know.

I have Universal, Unique, BE-86, Blue Dot, and CFE pistol available. Loads will have 124 grain plated bullets with cci sp and Blazer or Federal brass.

Looking at available data and the powder chart it seems like universal or BE-86 might be a good fit and I have several pounds of both. Thinking the Unique might burn a little dirty for an autoloader. I have faster powders available but was thinking the slower side is probably better with the 16" barrel.

Thoughts?
Everything you listed is a good powder, I've never used universal however so I'm not familiar with that one and 9. I really haven't seen much difference in the slightly slower powders versus the faster ones. Both burn more completely in the longer 16" barrel, and tend to be cleaner because of the longer burn. Being blow back, the only real issue I've found it wear to components and bolt recoil. The faster you send the lead down the tube, the faster you send that bolt reward. Getting into plus P territory won't show signs of excess chamber pressure, but the recoil impulse will be noticeably more.

Everything you listed is a good powder, I've never used universal however so I'm not familiar with that one and 9. I really haven't seen much difference in the slightly slower powders versus the faster ones. Both burn more completely in the longer 16" barrel, and tend to be cleaner because of the longer burn. Being blow back, the only real issue I've found it wear to components and bolt recoil. The faster you send the lead down the tube, the faster you send that bolt reward. Getting into plus P territory won't show signs of excess chamber pressure, but the recoil impulse will be noticeably more.
Thank you that's helpful. Not really concerned with high velocity just want an efficient target popper. Maybe I'll try the BE-86 first since I have several pounds. I should probably save the pound of blue dot for my M27 6" it seems to like it.

Thank you that's helpful. Not really concerned with high velocity just want an efficient target popper. Maybe I'll try the BE-86 first since I have several pounds. I should probably save the pound of blue dot for my M27 6" it seems to like it.
BE-86 is a great powder. It has a flash suppressant added and it definitely is great for shorter barrels because of the suppressant. It gets great velocities out of longer barrels, especially since common charge weights are in the 6 grain range. I think I got nearly 1500 fps using poly coated 115s in a 16" barrel with it. No pressure signs whatsoever. It does look like a lot of powder in the 9mm case, at least to me it does since I typically use Titegroup. Double charges shouldn't be an issue as you'll likely overflow the case if you do, making it obvious.

Thoughts?

Subscribed.

BE-86 is a great powder. It has a flash suppressant added and it definitely is great for shorter barrels because of the suppressant. It gets great velocities out of longer barrels, especially since common charge weights are in the 6 grain range. I think I got nearly 1500 fps using poly coated 115s in a 16" barrel with it. No pressure signs whatsoever. It does look like a lot of powder in the 9mm case, at least to me it does since I typically use Titegroup. Double charges shouldn't be an issue as you'll likely overflow the case if you do, making it obvious.
I like the sound of that! Max charge is 5.8 for 124gr on Alliant's guide so I'll start at 5.2 and work up by .2. I like a case close to full.

I know finding new powder is super tough these days, but may I suggest Longshot?

I have a Sub2000 in 40S&W. I know...why? Because I worked up a load (from Hodgdon's own data) for a 155gr XTP that goes 1500ft/s out of the 16" barrel! The powder is slow and is perfect for eking out a super powerful carbine load.

I think their data showed less than 1100ft/s for the charge I used, but the extra barrel length really made it cook. I'm getting over 800ft-lbs with that load!

I bet with a 147gr XTP on top of a slow powder like Longshot, you could get beyond 357sig speeds. Factory pistol loads just don't get much increase from barrel length even though you'd think they should. The powders are just too fast.

I know finding new powder is super tough these days, but may I suggest Longshot?

I have a Sub2000 in 40S&W. I know...why? Because I worked up a load (from Hodgdon's own data) for a 155gr XTP that goes 1500ft/s out of the 16" barrel! The powder is slow and is perfect for eking out a super powerful carbine load.

I think their data showed less than 1100ft/s for the charge I used, but the extra barrel length really made it cook. I'm getting over 800ft-lbs with that load!

I bet with a 147gr XTP on top of a slow powder like Longshot, you could get beyond 357sig speeds. Factory pistol loads just don't get much increase from barrel length even though you'd think they should. The powders are just too fast.
You may suggest it😁. I'll keep an eye out.

@Reno

Well the dummy round fit and functioned at 1.139 in both the carbine and my walther. Hopefully somewhere in the workup the two will agree on a charge they like :confused: .

20210425_183856.jpg

Might I suggest Herco?
Not a common 9mm powder; I started reloading in 2013-it was the only powder I could find.
115gn lead SWC in stock G17- made IDPA power factor.
Herco is relatively slow for 9mm. Data came from OLD chart that came with olf Lee dies.
Being a slower heavy load powder, may give higher carbine velocities with acceptable bolt speed/recoil .

Joe

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads