JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am curious to everyone's opinions about stand-alone flattop uppers that are of good quality.

I prefer BCM due to their thermal fit, but they are never available outside buying a complete upper assembly and then they have the logos on them, and I am not a big fan of logos...
I have looked into many posts about uppers, but the responses are either "they are awesome" or "they are garbage" without any real reflection.

Any thoughts on a quality non-logoed flattop upper receiver?

Thanks

They're all made by the same few forges, then sold to various vendors who then may custom finish them and then put their roll mark on them…..

Luis Viton, Dolce Gabanna, Prada…. It's all Chinesium…. In other words, you're paying for a label.

I don't buy for labels.

What is your concern exactly? I have put together many from low to high end and never a problem with any. I think the chances of getting one out of spec are less with higher end because of better qc processes in place in most cases. Other than that I don't know that there are any huge differences.

Edit; Higher end sometimes have more durable finishes on them.

Last Edited:
@Stomper is correct, only a few companies doing the Forgings, so your choices are really between those few and the quality of the finish. STAG arms are one of the bigger Forging outfits, so most your going to run across are theirs, finished by the local "Name Here" outfits and charged accordingly!
Try NoDak Spud for your receivers if you want true generic with top quality, they tend to be back ordered a lot, but if you get in, they can be worth the wait!
I used to recommend TNTE, but with recent issues in their build lead times and lack of communication, I caution folks to think about it before dealing with them!

@Stomper is correct, only a few companies doing the Forgings, so your choices are really between those few and the quality of the finish. STAG arms are one of the bigger Forging outfits, so most your going to run across are theirs, finished by the local "Name Here" outfits and charged accordingly!
Try NoDak Spud for your receivers if you want true generic with top quality, they tend to be back ordered a lot, but if you get in, they can be worth the wait!
I used to recommend TNTE, but with recent issues in their build lead times and lack of communication, I caution folks to think about it before dealing with them!

Looks like they have been bought by JJE and are going to be sold under a one of their companies.

From the uppers and lowers I've used (haven't used all brands) Aero gets my vote and Ruger is as tight a fit as you can get. You can get nekkid Ruger lowers and don't know about the uppers. Honestly haven't been disappointed in any of them though my sole PSA uppe4r shows the barest amount of light where it mates to a non PSA lower.

Looks like they have been bought by JJE and are going to be sold under a one of their companies.

From the uppers and lowers I've used (haven't used all brands) Aero gets my vote and Ruger is as tight a fit as you can get. You can get nekkid Ruger lowers and don't know about the uppers. Honestly haven't been disappointed in any of them though my sole PSA uppe4r shows the barest amount of light where it mates to a non PSA lower.
Worth noting that JJE bought NoDakSpud *specifically* to use them as the backbone of the new H&R under Mike's leadership--what it sounded like from Harlan before he retired, if PSA is Toyota H&R is going to be their Lexus, better craftsmanship and higher standards.

I think Damage Industries had a sale on assembled no-barrel uppers recently, and Aero's worth supporting both as good "value" parts and for being the Home Team on trying to fight the Californication of our gun laws alongside Dan at Sporting Systems and Dana at Black Hammer.

Using house brand uppers, I've found some fit inconsistency where my reaction rods will for loosely or too tightly. Couldn't begin to tell you who actually made them. Aero have always worked for me but I've never gotten that perfect matched set where the pins pop in and out easily with little to no slop between receiver halves. My experience is that you're paying a premium for quality control and consistency with many "house" or "budget" brands being made up of the higher end's rejects

There are only so many forgers of standard uppers but the ultimate result is not the same across them. Machining tolerances count. Pay more and you are likely to have less sloppy and/or difficult fits. Buy an Anderson and it will work fine, it just won't fit as perfectly as a Mega or Rainier upper (which I think are made by MEGA/Zev).

Kinda had my outs with Aero so I am jaded... I was thinking about LMT but they have their goofy logo on their receivers, are a ton of money and I cannot justify the cost..

PSA is probably the best value. I also like Aero's quality for price point, but if you're burnt by their customer service or some other reason to go astray, PSA is a good fit and finish. They're forged by Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises who also supplies for DD and the like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top