Opinion please! When you want a firearm to have a color, what is it? Vote!

Discussion in 'Lucky Sporting Goods' started by LuckySG, Oct 10, 2018.

What color looks good to you on a firearm if not stainless and replacing bluing?

1. OD Green

26.7%
  2. Flat Dark Earth

36.7%
  3. Burnt Bronze

26.7%
  4. White

10.0%
  5. Grey Shades

26.7%
  6. Navy Blue

20.0%
  7. Red

1.7%
  8. Yellow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sand or Tan

10.0%
  10. Silver Shades

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon
    Lucky Sporting Goods in Banks, OR Supporting Vendor 2018 Volunteer

Anyone been as thoroughly unimpressed with the finish on many lines of new firearms lately?

No one expects to be scrubbing surface rust after a quick trip to the range even when it is dreary out, so there should be something to make it easy to avoid rust in the first place, like a decent factory finish!

To everyone's advantage if you look at the bottom of any page in this forum you will find that there are many supporting vendors that offer Cerakote and Hydro Dipping services, but what if you got that option more often from the manufacturer?

My question is what color is good enough or attractive enough that you would pick it up as a preference over black? Does it matter for what type of firearms? Yes for ARs but never for revolvers?

DuneHopper likes this.
  2. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Midnight blue I think is the color that closest resembles blued.

For a gun that is meant to be blued. No color is capable of replacing it. So if Cerakote for weather resistance, I vote blued. Which if I remember right was one of two colors that came close. Midnight blue I think was the one I went with.

3. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

AndyinEverson, Jonnyuma, 308 and 8 others like this.
  4. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Midnight blue is my favorite as well:
    Semi custom pre 64 model 70 338wm:
    LLATmUF.jpg

Another favorite is sniper gray:
    ah65i4j.jpg
    FrEIT93.jpg
    tGjvWfJ.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

This was @Velzey work, right @Reno911 ?

7. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Not those pictures, but ya, my 38/357 lever gun was done by @Velzey

I’ll get pics up tomorrow unless he still has one saved somewhere.

LuckySG likes this.
  8. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

OP, any way you can add midnight blue to the choices? I'd check mark that one..

9. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

Unfortunately not, once there are votes it is locked, but if you check navy blue we can reimage that as midnight.

DuneHopper likes this.
  10. Velzey

Velzey
    Estacada Gunsmith
    Büchsenmacher Supporting Vendor

The “blued” finish these days on allot of the production rifles isn’t actually bluing. It’s a black oxide that looks similar to parkerizing. Shush now don’t tell everyone I let that out... Except one small detail, it rusts, and rusts very easily.
    As of lately midnight blue is pretty popular for cerakote.
    And brite silver that is actually kinda looks like bead blasted stainless.

6B3E79D9-72C4-4D3D-9B3C-065C581A7CEE.jpeg 1013C7CE-2DD6-4BE9-8866-42B0AB0B77D9.jpeg 074D0656-E38C-472F-9819-172EEB897DAA.jpeg 9FAA019E-4FF8-41E7-B7C1-34E47F20850B.jpeg 7146C587-4FF1-41F1-8FC7-A5D09170BFE9.jpeg

11. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

Very nice!

Medic! and Velzey like this.
  12. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Pretty sure I have one of those guns pictured in my safe ATM. ;)

Slobray, DuneHopper and Velzey like this.
  13. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR

I also would like to see more "blued" guns, so I voted for navy blue. The midnight blue is a good looking color, and cerakote honestly makes way more sense for most guns than real bluing. If it was scaled up I doubt it would add much to the price of the base model rifles and pistols, but it would make them look much nicer than the typical flat black.

I also like OD so I voted for that too.

LuckySG and Flymph like this.
  14. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Can you do vantablack yet?

b9cpob8p3qny.jpg

The Heretic and jordanka16 like this.
  15. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like grey stocks and frames for a lot of guns. White goes well on AR's, same as grey.
    I also like darker earth tones.
    I assumed navy blue was close enough to "midnight blue" and mean any "black" with a blue hugh, base, or whatever...

LuckySG likes this.
  16. rcnpthfndr

rcnpthfndr
    E. Washington

I had my pops 1970 rem 1100 re done a couple years back. burnt bronze metal with matte finish exhibition grade stock and forend. also had barrel and trigger work done. I will see if I have any pics of it. but it looked really nice

LuckySG likes this.
  17. Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma
    A Dirty Little Town in NW Oregon

There's a metallic grey-blue that I'd like to see more of. I don't know who's product it was, or if I ever actually even saw it (maybe it was in a dream)... but it would look sharp paired up w black or stainless. Think C-kote's Tungsten grey w a little blue added, not Simunitions blue, and on a semiauto slide or frame only. Wouldn't look good anywhere else.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  18. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Black.

But a dark OD green is okay - but I prefer black because it goes with everything and never goes out of style. :D

Grey is okay, I prefer it over 'silver' - I have one handgun that is grey. But I prefer even my stainless guns to be black or close to black.

Seriously, black IMO is even better than OD Green for blending into the background - for firearms or other small items, especially in urban environments and in forests dark colors work best IMO if they are not a large blob (like a person). Even black bears do an okay job of blending into the forest.

Lighter colors naturally reflect more light - especially if the surface is not matte. Other colors, RGB, just don't look right to me on a firearm.

So obviously I care more about my firearms and other gear blending into my surroundings than I do about what my favorite color is in general (it is bright blue - but I would never buy a bright blue gun).

19. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon

Color preference for me depends on the firearm, intended use, and perhaps location to be used. My "go to" color is FDE because it blends in well (I like to pair with OD or FG "furniture" for a poor man's camo) but also stays much cooler in the hot sun than darker colors. Foliage green would be my other preference for the same reason and also like to pair it with FDE furniture.

See how much the black scopes in the picture below stand out?

upload_2018-10-11_6-53-6.png

I would leave a beautifully blued bolt action as is, but would have a SS one Cerakoted as above. Pistols I leave alone unless they had finish issues that needed attention.

20. Slobray

Slobray
    Yelm, WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I guess it all depends on the gun:

For many pistols and AR's/plastic "battle" rifles, I like the contrasting look of FDE/tan (sometimes OD) and black....

M&P.jpg

Rifles with wood furniture, for the most part, should have the traditional blued steel and maybe, a stainless lever action every now and then.

For revolvers, I pretty much like them the way they've always been; blued or stainless with wood or black grips. No other colors.

Ray