JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Good news.

However, I believe that once everybody goes back to work that will be going back to work, that the unemployment rate will bottom out at no lower than 10%. That will be a drag on the economy. Even if it bottoms out a bit below that - say 7-8% - that is still twice what we had before the pandemic.

Those 4% to 7% of unemployed will take much longer to erase, and some will never get their jobs back (e.g., me). We were headed to a recession before the pandemic. That hasn't gone away, it has been exacerbated and it will take months if not years for us to get past this.

Add on to that, Trump won't be re-elected.

The stock market doesn't look at long term results, it has a short attention span - more so in recent history than ever before. The next panic we have, there will be another significant selloff.

I am glad it is coming back. I am glad some people are going back to work. But 2.5 million is less than 10% of the people who were laid off. As this progresses, that rate of people going back to work will maybe speed up or remain the same for a little while, then slow down, then become a trickle.

When that is realized, and there is a rise in CV-19, and the stimulus fades, and small businesses go bankrupt - then there will be a selloff.

FWIW - heard from my SIL that he is the only remaining person doing his particular job duties where there were about 4 doing those duties before. He is working double the hours he was before - which is good for $, but he can't keep those hours up forever. Will his employer be able to get the people back when they decide they need them? Maybe, maybe not.

Down here in San Diego lots of people have gone back to work by the amount of traffic I have seen this week. SDGE is still holding back work and not allowing much for outages to do work as they are worried about the amount of people still at home and don't want to have people out of power. Once things get somewhat back to normal I sure hope we get some more people onboard as I work 60+ every week. Don't mind as the only reason I am down here is the great money but 60-70 hours a week is about my limit before it really wears on me.

Yes - SIL is working 70 hour weeks. I tell him, make hay while the sun shines, it won't last, and later there may be times when you will be glad you got the extra overtime dollars. I am a great example of that.

I almost never took any time off (my contract didn't pay for vacation time), except when Daimler had shutdowns (one week first week of July, ten days for XMas) and I didn't get paid for those. Almost 9 years I did that.

Now I have plenty of time to work on my property and I probably won't ever have a job again - so I am glad I worked hard, made decent money and saved 25-30% of what I made (invested most of it), because now I will need those fruits of my labors.

My IRAs did not do all that well today. I think it is because I am so heavy in bonds and the bond market did poorly as people went from bonds into stocks.

I won't know about my 401K until at least tomorrow.

edit: I take that back. I guess for some reason they didn't update or do the transactions of whatever until just a bit ago. I am back to where I was 6 months ago now - at least with the IRAs. I still have a little ways to go with the 401K.

Another couple of days like today and I will be ready to go to money market funds. Then the question will be when to do that - hang on hoping for more earnings, or fold and take my winnings while the getting is good?

I think I will need to dig in and do some research to see what economic reports are upcoming that might upset the market, and when.

Last Edited:
Rrrrrright a....
1518810356-3d62f14b3b-o.jpg
shaped recovery.
NASDAQ at new high 9,924
DOW at 27,572
S&P at 3,232

Aloha, Mark

The stock market is not the economy and vice versa.

My fear is that the market will start paying attention to the economy before I am ready to go to cash.

I am up about $1K today over Friday. If that keeps up, I may get to my target before July. First week of July they will come out with the June unemployment and other economy numbers. It is always hard to know how the market will react to those numbers. At least 18 business days to the end of June.

They may ignore them if they are below what they expect - or they may panic sell, even if the numbers are improving. If they are better than they expect, then the the market may go up. Then there are the weekly numbers, but they seem to pay more attention to the monthly and quarterly numbers - June being the end of the second quarter too. Not sure when those numbers come out? End of July because it takes longer?

I'm not at "even from the end of Feb highs". But....I'm happier than before.

Aloha, Mark

PS....this tune will be sticking with me until I get to even and maybe a little higher (hopefully).

Search on your favorite stock trading website... VTIQ.... merger is set for June 2nd. Stock has gone from 10$ when IPOd in March to touching $30 today... get it before it skyrockets!!!

June 8: VTIQ, trading as NKLA closed @ 73.27; after hours 90.00+/-
I hope you get your return. :)

You cash out your position? Whats your prediction for tomorrow?

I did not... I am a HOLD for the long run. The announcement of the deposits for the truck went live today so I am guessing that's why it went crazy. They also did a huge purchase of $30 Million for some equipment that is being produced now. When the Germany plant open's in a couple of months I expect another huge jump...

I am up about $1K today over Friday.

Actually, it seems today was one of those days that the total I gained took a number of hours after the market closed. My IRA was up about $3K instead of one. I am not sure if they are doing futures trading, or if it just takes that long for the funds to resolve - probably the latter. Either way, it is a plus for me. If this keeps up I will be fine for the year before June ends. Crossing my fingers.

Looking at the pre market that NKLA stock looks like its going to dump pretty hard. After a bit of research I assume lots of warrents are to be converted and sold today.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top